Final Flamewar: Ex Libris Arcana - Development

FFGD: For the Developers of the Final Flamwar JRPG series....were we make the video games.

Moderator: Dark Silver

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#26 Re: Final Flamewar: Ex Libris Arcana - Development

Post by Dark Silver »

Steve wrote:IIRC the idea was you'd get the maps all ready and I'd start doing the scripts, when it came to ANT. Still, good luck with ELA!

Wait, what version of RPGMaker is this?
That kinda failed....aside from basic overworld maps, kinda didn't know what other maps we would need - we both kinda fell off each others radar for awhile....and then I lost the maps I had previously in a computer incident.

I could probably rework everything for ANT - I'd have to redraw a lot of maps (though I am rather fond of my new world map for You'znet) but that shouldn't be TOO difficult.....

And this is RPGMaker VX Ace, latest and greatest version of it's time, translanted by Enterbrain into full English, so no silly japanese installers.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#27 Re: Final Flamewar: Ex Libris Arcana - Development

Post by Dark Silver »

Decided to do some code-clean up, and changed out the battle system.

I decided to update to Enu's Sides-view Battle system (aka Tankentai), with a couple of helpful scripts - turning the FFVI style combat to FFVI style combat.

Work will proceed abreast on basic systems until we finish hashing out weapons and armor.

Then will proceed to items (though I'm pretty much going with the basic JRPG stuff, with the old items we had in the old Final Flamewar games).
FF-Combat.png
FF-Combat.png (277.13 KiB) Viewed 9935 times
The image shows Newbie (with his temporary party for the Alpha Build) wielding Havoc's Legendary Weapon, Fulminatus - Standard of the 15th Legion. As you can see, we get some nifty effects out of this system.

Also, Steve - let me know if you're interested in what we talked about on AIM this morning so we can work out the details as the plot is fleshed out from my basic sketch.

progress people! It's what's for dinner

Also this means for alpha testers, the new build is up for you to run through.
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

#28 Re: Final Flamewar: Ex Libris Arcana - Development

Post by Batman »

Latest alpha seems to be working other than the overlay world map. Combat engine is working fine, though the changes seem to be largely cosmetic. Is there any particular reason enemy A just dies without further comment while enemy B is reported as having been slain?
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

#29 Re: Final Flamewar: Ex Libris Arcana - Development

Post by B4UTRUST »

my guess would be that whatever mob is slain last closes out the battle and is marked as 'slain' while the first-nth is just killed without fanfare
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#30 Re: Final Flamewar: Ex Libris Arcana - Development

Post by Dark Silver »

Pausing Alpha Development for a few days while I study on Ruby scripting - and try to figure out why the hell my minimap isn't working right.

So the build that's out there right now...is static at the moment. Still have to add a few things to the game via scripting (the STEAL and Jump commands, plus Blue Magic). Once I do that, I'll put out the next Alpha build for testing.

IF you want to play with the current Alpha Version of the game (it's very bare bones as it's just basic systems) download from here

Hopefully that'll be by this weekend - we'll see though.

Once I've done basic systems and add-on skills (the aforemention Steal Command, Jump and Blue Magic), I'd like to begin work on character Classes and Items.

Once Classes are solidified, Selection of PC's will be done. I'm intending for PC's to be drawn primarily from SDN and LA, since I'm most familiar with those places, with maybe one or two from other Online Communities (I'm not really all that knowledgeable about SpaceBattles to chose who would be a PC, if any, from there).

If everything goes right, I'm hoping to be out of Alpha Development by beginning-mid March, and then begin work on fleshing out the plot beyond it's rough outline/summary (If anyone would like to assist in that, PM me and I'll see what we can set up), completing maps for the various needed locations, and scripting events.

All said and done, Beta development should 4-6 months, and I'm aiming to have the game ready for October of this year. Can I do it? Hell if I know, but it'll be fun to try at least.

Once I get closer to Beta, I'll probably be looking for beta-testers. But that's here or there yet.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#31 Re: Final Flamewar: Ex Libris Arcana - Development

Post by Dark Silver »

Well, ahead of schedule because I am learning stuff quicker than anticipated . . . .

I should have a Alpha Demo fit for public consumption by end of the week. It's basically the game's Prologue. I'm working on the dungeon right now.