Is a store worth it?

KoLA: Ask questions and seek answers for Kingdom of Loathing
Pure Sabacc
Imperious Underling

#1 Is a store worth it?

Post by Pure Sabacc »

I have recently reached level nine, and I have a fairly healthy collection of meat in waiting, so I began to wonder: Is buying a store worth it? I'm already selling items (pretty easy to come by stuff too) for a hefty profit at the flea market, but will the bonus profit I might make in the mall really worth the investment? I seek guidance from those with experience on the subject.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

A store is only worth it for a couple of reasons. One, you can adjust the price to match the market, so you don't get permanently undercut the way you can at the Flea Market. The other reason is if you want to sell REALLY REALLY big stuff, which you probably won't be doing until you ascend or if you want to sell a Mr. A.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

I guess it depends on who you are. For me, the flea market is fine as I sell any good deals I get but not much else as I don't have a lot of things.
Nephtys
Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

My store's so far made me quite some money. About 100K, and that's only after two restocks. People WILL buy moderate priced items, or consumables. If anything, just make sure your prices are near the lowest (perhaps with no limit), and they will be sold.
"I like me"
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

While I haven't been making as much money as Petro, I've been making a good amount of cash off my store. I cook a lot of stuff and find cheap stuff in the Flea Market to resell (such as Chef's Hats, white picket fences, and pretty flowers/bouquets). The trick is to sell stuff that will be consumed or used up in some way so there's a constant supply. Ingredients, food, drinks, and campground items are the best to sell.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
Skadi
Apprentice

Post by Skadi »

A store is definitely worth it. Its easier to offload the more expensive items and you now have a new place to offload goods cheaply purchased at the fleamarket as Maya has pointed out. You will make back your initial investment rather quickly. The key is to focus on a few items that everyone needs such as chef boxes, bartenders, food and drinks. Random quest items are generally not worth it but well priced food and drinks will sell quickly.
Pure Sabacc
Imperious Underling

Post by Pure Sabacc »

Well, I took the plunge.
The Sauce Pagoda is open for business, although its stock is limited at the moment.

Oh, and cookie for the shopkeeper reference. :wink:

As a side note, how does one make a Fez of Entomology? I followed the smithing instructions, and they dont work.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

Pure Sabacc wrote:As a side note, how does one make a Fez of Entomology? I followed the smithing instructions, and they dont work.
You can't, the dictionary is to be used for a quest. :cry:
Pure Sabacc
Imperious Underling

Post by Pure Sabacc »

Wow, its been less than a day, and I've already completely recovered all the money I spent on the store, with a 10k profit on top of it. And that was with just junk lying around my stash. :shock:
consequences
Acolyte

Post by consequences »

Two days in, I peaked at about 100K over where I was when I bought it, as a result of a hell of a lot of legwork, and blowing up about four bartenders.

So I'd say its worth it.
Josh

Post by Josh »

consequences wrote:Two days in, I peaked at about 100K over where I was when I bought it, as a result of a hell of a lot of legwork, and blowing up about four bartenders.

So I'd say its worth it.
Yeah, our corner of the kingdom is notable for exploding chefs and bartenders-in-the-box.
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
The Dark
Apprentice

Post by The Dark »

Mine's still holding up, though it's giving creaking sounds every now and then.
Josh

Post by Josh »

The Dark wrote:Mine's still holding up, though it's giving creaking sounds every now and then.
Just wait until you're working bulk. Meatdump blew two in a day, after processing the regular foodstuffs and somewhere in the vicinity of sixty sausage pizzas.
The Dark
Apprentice

Post by The Dark »

I just bought a store, and have recouped about 35,000 of it in one day's sales. Finding a crapton of limes while adventuring was good for business.

[edit] *blink* OK...I've sold over 90,000 worth today. Fruit sells like you would not believe. And one was an accidental sale of something I was going to send to Meatdump, so the 11,000 from that sale went into the Clan's coffers.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

Wow! I recuperated the cost of the store within one hour!

I made a 100k in sales. Yay!