Gung-Bao Chicken With Cheese

KT: Where the Culinary Masters Showcase their art. A'la Cuisine!
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

#1 Gung-Bao Chicken With Cheese

Post by Jason_Firewalker »

I know generally that Chinese cuisine does not include cheese but I like tossing a bit of cheese in with the Gung-Bao to mild it out a bit for those of my friends who dont like food as spicy as I do.

2 tablespoon rice wine
2 tablespoon peanut oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast cubed

In a pyrex bowl, prepare the marinade. Combine the rice wine, peanut oil, soy sauce, salt and cornstarch. Stir in the chicken pieces and refrigerate for 25 minutes.

3 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons peanut oil
8 dried red chiles remove stems and cut in halves
1/2-inch piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced and smushed
1 garlic, minced and smushed
1 green onion, cut the white part into 1/2 inch pieces, julienne the green parts
1/2 cup cubed mild cheese of choice
2 tablespoons chicken stock plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed together to make slurry

In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.

Over high heat, in a wok, bring the peanut oil to almost smoking temperature. Stir-fry the chilies, ginger, garlic and white part of the green onions for 1 minute, or until the chilies turn dark. Add the chicken and stir-fry for almost 2 minutes, until golden in color.

Add the sauce and bring to a boil. Add the cheese. Thicken with the slurry and continue to cook until glossy. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with julienne green onions.
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The True Resurrection would undo the chartrusing of the Gnome
-- My friend figuring out how to permanently turn a gnome chartreuse

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
--HP Lovecraft in Call Of Cthulhu
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

You know... This week, I will try this.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

So on a scale of 1-10, 10 being "my tongue has melted off" how spicy would this be?
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Having not prepared this dish myself, looking at the ingredient list, I can't honestly say it should be really spicy at all other than possibly the Hoisin sauce which does have some chilis to it, but it kind of varies by brand and how much you use. I would also caution that Hoisin sauce is a bit offputting to some people because of the taste of it. You might wish to try a bit and use it to taste rather than a set amount according to recipe.

The ones I've had are very salty and have a fairly sweet flavor. But again this very well may vary by brand and location, etc. I've had fresh made sauce and it's not bad but again it is something that you wouldn't use on just any dish.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Post by Jason_Firewalker »

well honestly at least i did not use thai bird chillies...
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The True Resurrection would undo the chartrusing of the Gnome
-- My friend figuring out how to permanently turn a gnome chartreuse

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
--HP Lovecraft in Call Of Cthulhu