I made a thing

KT: Where the Culinary Masters Showcase their art. A'la Cuisine!
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#1 I made a thing

Post by Josh »

This seems a lonely forum, so I figured I'd share my latest act of culinary blasphemy and liven the place up.

Today, it was calderetta, or kalderetta, or something like that. It's a Filipino dish consisting of beef and tomatoes and potatoes and carrots and herbs and spices, depending on which recipe you listen to it may include liver or pineapple.

Okay. So. Allergic to pineapple, so that's out. Utterly repulsed by liver, so that's out. Hate stewed carrots (crappy flavor and texture for me) so that's out.

So I made a Tex-Mex version instead.

I substituted one third of the beef requirement with pork, because everything's better with pork!

I added shrimp, because everything's really better with shrimp!

I added mushrooms, because mushrooms are made of awesome and loaded with vitamin D. Call that a substitute for the carrots.

For tomatoes, there's no kill like overkill. The recipe called for tomato sauce and tomato paste. You got it! Added a hearty helping of both. Then I added a can of fire-roasted herb-drenched sliced tomatoes.

Potatoes were just plain old canned potatoes. Nothing fancy there.

Now for the seasoning. The only chili powder I had was in a packet, so I sort of doubled up on that quantity. Then there was a hearty helping of garlic. Then there was an even heartier helping of black pepper. (This is where we really start getting Tex-Mex.)

Bell peppers of all shades added color and bell-peppery goodness. Then I drained off a jar of hot banana peppers and added them because I love the flavor of banana peppers.

Also I tossed in a couple of eggs because they were in the fridge and due to go bad in a couple of days. That doesn't do any flavory things, but it does make it more protein-y.

What happened?

Awesome happened. It's sort of chili-like, but without the chili. When I do it again I'll probably ditch the shrimp just because it about flooded the pot with all the ingredients, and add in another can of potatoes because the potato load is a little low.

Otherwise, I am very satisfied with this culinary experiment. Technically it may not be calderetta/kalderetta any longer, but it is bitchin' delicious all the same.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#2 Re: I made a thing

Post by LadyTevar »

Whatever it was, it looks like it was Damn Good. I wish I'd been able to taste it.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Josh

#3 Re: I made a thing

Post by Josh »

If you make it by in the next two days or so there'll still be some left. Grab your ticket now.
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

#4 Re: I made a thing

Post by Batman »

Eww. That looks like something I should deal with via ranged weapons in D&D.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Josh

#5 Re: I made a thing

Post by Josh »

Batman wrote:Eww. That looks like something I should deal with via ranged weapons in D&D.
I'll laugh the next time Bane breaks your back.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#6 Re: I made a thing

Post by frigidmagi »

I honestly don't get why people don't like liver. It taste of awesome. Still this looks good to Josh.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Josh

#7 Re: I made a thing

Post by Josh »

frigidmagi wrote:I honestly don't get why people don't like liver. It taste of awesome. Still this looks good to Josh.
I kind of wonder if liver is one of those things like black licorice, where you're just born with the taste or not. I've never met anybody who was neutral on liver or even moderate. It's either love it or hate it wholeheartedly.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#8 Re: I made a thing

Post by Dark Silver »

. . . . it needs a better picture. It looks like someone made a bad curry though.

-eyes Josh-
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Josh

#9 Re: I made a thing

Post by Josh »

Dark Silver wrote:. . . . it needs a better picture. It looks like someone made a bad curry though.

-eyes Josh-
My camera blurred the shot and I was in a hurry to eat. So sue me.

Also, it's very good.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#10 Re: I made a thing

Post by Dark Silver »

I would sue you....
but I don't feel like being in more debt than I already am.

:thumb:
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.