Java applets: a possibility for games?

LAD: Where we design a lot of things, and talk about stuff we may or may not do with the site.

Moderators: B4UTRUST, Dark Silver, Josh

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

#1 Java applets: a possibility for games?

Post by Destructionator XV »

I have recently been taking a gander at Java, and it is looking like applets might be a good way to put simple, interactive, but still browser based games up for the site.

I am wondering what many of you think of them. Do you hate them, find Java annoying, think it has potential, or what?
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Well, despite my inability to program, I tend to like java based programs
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

while I don't have any real problems with them per say, I find that java tends to be an ineffective and underpowered language to use. You'd be better off with php/mysql like we were attempting, or perhaps java/cgi mixed.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

That it a rather interesting statement; Java, as a programming language, is much more powerful than PHP. Personally, I hate the Java platform. It is slow, wastes memory, and looks horrible. But that is running full size programs on the desktop - using it to write small web apps should work out.

My basic plan goes as such:

If a game requires real time interaction (like an arcade game or somesort) then write it as a Java applet. That will allow me to write what is basically client side full blown programs, but still run them in a browser. Arcade games are small enough that the memory wastage should be pretty small. Think online Flash games without the Flash (because Java is bad, but Flash is worse).

If a game does not require real time interaction, then PHP/MySQL is the way to go. The browser is merely a front end for a database, and you control your stats, which are updated peridocially. My main issue with making these games, is I tend to find them rather boring. Real time games I can play, but go-back-and-update-your-stats-once-a-day games are kinds snoozy to me.
Adam D. Ruppe
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Makes me question, again, can we use the Databases we have to serve our STGOD thread? If you say its workable I.E design a database that lets players upload their numbers, crunch numbers as needed. Then I think we should put this forum to practical use, develop it, implement it and give it to the STGOD players.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

See, you say java is robust and more capable then other languages but every time I've used it and in most java games i've seen it used on... they're horrible at worst, usually mediocre at best. Maybe it's just me. *shrugs* I'm just not a huge fan of java.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

B4UTRUST wrote:See, you say java is robust and more capable then other languages but every time I've used it and in most java games i've seen it used on... they're horrible at worst, usually mediocre at best. Maybe it's just me. *shrugs* I'm just not a huge fan of java.
Your blaming the language for the games produced?

I've seen Java done well for a cellie, its not something that should be thrown away.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Ace, in comparison to games I've seen and played that are on other languages (php/mysql or cgi) java seems slow and rather inept and creating a good game.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

I don't hold Java in high regard either, especially on the desktop, where C++ can do almost everything it can do better.

However, for browser based arcade games, it is either going to be Flash or Java applets. Flash is expensive (need a license to create them) and rather weak. Java is an object oriented language with much power, and wide support on the web. I can also make it using all free tools.

It isn't something to replace our other plans, it is just one more tool in the box to use.
Adam D. Ruppe