Vampire: A City by the Sea

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Charon wrote:As Lydia made her way into the merchant district an unfortunately familiar face could be seen. It was Demosthenes, he was looking around frantically. "Have you seen it? HAVE YOU SEEN IT!" Passers-by gave the madman plenty of space as they continued on their paths. "The Dark. It is here... Here somewhere. He hides it from me but it will not be so forever! I will find it and I will devour it! Then we shall see where the wisdom lies!" Demosthenes looked around again frantically, sniffing the air and looking deeply into the shadows. He apparently saw something for he shouted out in glee and ran off into an adjacent side street, disappearing from view quickly.
Lydia stopped, placing a warning hand on the shoulder of her servant as Demosthenes ranted in the streets. When the Malkavian seer shouted and started to vanish down a side street, she made up her mind instantly. "Lukas, go back to the house and tell Marcus what you saw here, and that I followed the Seer. If Aziz al bin Temjin or Father Florien pay a visit, he may tell them as well. Go now."

With that, trusting her servant to do exactly as she told him, she hurried towards the side street, trying to catch up to the mad seer. She could simply hasten herself with blood and catch him, but it was far too risky here on the streets to show any signs of Otherworldliness. Thus she followed as if merely mortal, lifting the hem of her gown once she was on the side street to allow herself more speed.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The haven was crude and vulnerable, but staying here would change nothing. Better lairs, or the resources to improve this one, would be found elsewhere. So Sandor went walking, in the general direction of the city. A hunter first needed to get the lay of the land and the Tzimisce were first and foremost the master of the earth and all of its creatures. He had not been schooled in a knez's or voivode's manse but in the dark woods by his brothers and sisters. Princes and warlords had fallen, but Sandor still survived.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Gustianni snarled. "What do you think? He sold me supposedly rare spices, then cheated me and gave me mostly sand and camel shit! I don't owe him anything, and you're not gonna get it from me!"

As Lyonel continued to organize his food, a group of rather gruff looking men came into the room, all shouting to each other in a language that wasn't quite his native tongue, but it was close. They were discussing something about women, a whore, and how they were not looking forward to what their leader was going to be going through. It was a language Lyonel was familiar with though he did not speak it well. It was the language of the Danes.

Lukas did as he was ordered and quickly turned back. Lydia went down the sidestreet to follow the seer's track, but he was already out of sight, though she thought she could hear shouting further down the street.

Sandor passed mainly through farmland as he walked towards the direction of the city. There were a few much newer buildings with their fires burning against the early night chill of winter. They looked to be farm-houses. Eventually the city came into view. It looked majestic against the night sky, it's fires lighting up the sky. The walls surrounding the city were built solidly and there were several gates which were clearly indicated and from this distance Sandor could see a trickle of people still coming inside which were being checked over by the guards at the gates.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Sandor roamed the countryside, poking into this and that as he prowled around the outside of the city.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lydia followed the sound of shouting, hoping to catch up even as she knew if the Elder did not want caught she would never catch him. Yet to leave him on the street in his madness was dangerous, especially with the Milanese spies known to be here.

There was also the matter of his words... the Bat, the one from Levant.

Comrade Rudolf
Acolyte

Post by Comrade Rudolf »

Lyonel slowly and quietly ate his stew. Watching the whole room, the way these people interacted and trying to pick at there thoughts learning about the city and this inn. He sent a message to Mendo to keep an eye on the rowdy Danes. After getting a few bits of information the bar maid return and asked how everything was.

"The stew was delicious but not very helpful. I will not be needing a room this evening but I do like the atmosphere here. I may even stop by first thing in the morning." Lyonel got up to head for the door but turned to hand her a couple gold coins, "In fact hold me a room, I may return here tonight but I have some people to see this evening." Lyonel moved towards the door with Mendo close behind.

Stumbling out the door like a man who had a few to many drinks Lyonel noticed Philip standing close by. Wandering in a drunken stupor toward the corner of the building Lyonel rid himself of the stew and wine.

"Sorry Master but I couldn't find a black goat." Philip said with head bowed low as he approached.

"I'm sure you tried your best Philip. I will have to wait to feed then, no matter. Let us explore more this fine city," Lyonel answered. He would have to find the prince at some point this evening to announce himself but the evening is long and these streets are just so inviting. Picking a direction Lyonel headed out into city wandering the streets like he was working a maze.
Is this where I write some witty comment?
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Sandor saw mostly farmland as he wandered around the countryside. Several herds of cows and goats were still out on the pastures, one was being herded back towards home by a young boy and his dog. Sandor saw more farm homes, eventually coming across a small villa that seemed sparsely populated. Continuing on through more farmland and occasional spots of wooded areas, he came across a home with no fires within it.

Lydia ran through the side streets but the yelling always seemed to be around one more corner. Then suddenly Lydia turned a corner and almost ran full tilt into a man who was dressed in the garb of a town guard. The man looked at Lydia and smiled. "You a bit lost deary?" Lydia got the feeling there was some darker intent in his question.

Lyonel skimmed off the surface thoughts of all those around him, picking up on an adulterers thoughts about one of the waitresses, a fisherman's complaints about feeling weak, a number of lists of things people had to do, enjoying meals, enjoying company, a deal between merchants, rumors of some big fight outside the walls the night before, and a thousand other things. The Danes seemed little interested in more than their drinks and company.

The raven-haired woman smiled and took the gold "Of course sir. Just come back and we'll have something set up for ya."

Lyonel's wandering through the city felt him pulled deeper and deeper into the maze of side streets in the mess of the merchants quarter. It felt almost like a pull upon his blood as well on his mind.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

It was hardly unusual for a house to no longer have a fire going this far after dark, when the inhabitants had gone to bed. On the other hand, it might be empty. Sandor sniffed the air and listened closely for signs of life, such as breathing, coming from the house.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

The ranting preachings of Demosthenes had caught Aziz' attention. The maddened one, given to describing the images that haunted his inner sight in terms of doom, decay, and destruction of the present, had presented an interesting conundrum to the Turkish Child of Haqim.

Following the preacher through the side streets, he used his stronger senses to track the echoing preachings through the brick maze that was this city's street system.

There were many curiosities here - it would take much time to see or understand them all.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lydia ran through the side streets but the yelling always seemed to be around one more corner. Then suddenly Lydia turned a corner and almost ran full tilt into a man who was dressed in the garb of a town guard. The man looked at Lydia and smiled. "You a bit lost deary?" Lydia got the feeling there was some darker intent in his question.
There was something off about this guardian, yet Lydia did not let that show on her face. Instead she gave him a sad face, while sliding into the Awe and charm that was her Clanright.
"Oh no ... it is my Diminius who is lost!" Lydia exclaimed, playing the familiar roll of a damsel in distress. "He jumped out of his leash after a pigeon, and now I cannot find him! Have you seen my little Diminius? He is fawn of coat, and dark of eyes, and he prances in such an amusing way..."

The description could well apply to one of the little greyhounds so beloved by the Italian ladies, and the little excitable dogs could often run away. The play on words and Dimosthenes' looks were mere coincidence, of course. "I would be very grateful if you could help me find him, sir," Lydia added, trying to overAwe the guard so that he'd be more willing to aid her.
Last edited by LadyTevar on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Sandor listened carefully, and smelled the air. All he could hear from outside was the creaking of wood and the calls of the wildlife outside. There were no sounds from the building so far as he could tell. Beyond the smell of manure and wheat Sandor could pick out the smell of burnt wood coming from inside the building.

Aziz traveled into the side streets, it was nearly impossible to track him as sounds bounced off of everywhere and the scent mixed in with everything else that was there, but Aziz was fairly certain he was going in the right way.

The Guardsman's face turned soft and he smiled, perhaps staring a bit too long at Lydia. "Of course ma'am. I'd be happy to help you find your dog." The Town Guard picked up his spear and turned to start down the street. "See dogs down these streets all the time M'lady. Some of 'em have gone feral though. You should be careful. Especially without someone to guard your person ma'am, especially in these parts." He looked back to make certain Lydia was following.
Last edited by Charon on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Gustianni snarled. "What do you think? He sold me supposedly rare spices, then cheated me and gave me mostly sand and camel shit! I don't owe him anything, and you're not gonna get it from me!"
Florien sighed

"You dont get it do you? I am not here for the money at all. I dont care about it, and I dont know your erstwhile business partner" Florien said gently, and quietly.

"I am interested in only one thing. Or rather a series of things" Florin said as he walked over and grabbed the now red hot iron. He returned and pulled the crank back one more agonizing click.

"Remember what I said yesterday about your sins, and confession? I was not being poetic. I was being very literal. You will confess your sins Gustianni" he finished his little speech, then gently ran the iron from his victims clavical down the center of his chest, and almost down to his groin, leaving second degree burns.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Comrade Rudolf
Acolyte

Post by Comrade Rudolf »

Lyonel's pace quickened, moving left and right down the streets and alleys. Mendo kept pace right behind with Philip lagging just behind him. Lyonel would pause occasionally to shift barrel or mark a sign with mud only to be called away from his work to once again move through the streets toward an unknown destination.

He kept his senses alert, searching for other vampires wandering the streets. He knew they must be here somewhere, he couldn't be the only one who felt the call. Lyonel paused at a corner to scratch a mark on the wall with his mug giving Mendo and Philip time to catch up.

"Master, where are we headed?" Philip asked catching his breath between words. Someone shouting could be heard in the distance not to far away.

Lyonel shifted Mendo and Philip's places before answering. "This way," he pointed with the hand that still held the mug, "to find answers to the questions we do not have."

He motioned Mendo to get on one knee and then Lyonel used knee to vault himself up to smack a swinging sign before heading off down the street.
Last edited by Comrade Rudolf on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is this where I write some witty comment?
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

He could hear no breathing coming from the inside, although he could smell a recent fire. The place could still be inhabited, but if so so what? Was he not a vampire?

One way or the other there would be plunder he could use. He went to a window to see how he could force his way in without wrecking the door.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

The Guardsman's face turned soft and he smiled, perhaps staring a bit too long at Lydia. "Of course ma'am. I'd be happy to help you find your dog." The Town Guard picked up his spear and turned to start down the street. "See dogs down these streets all the time M'lady. Some of 'em have gone feral though. You should be careful. Especially without someone to guard your person ma'am, especially in these parts." He looked back to make certain Lydia was following.
"I have my servants searching other parts of the area," Lydia said, following the guard cautiously. It was more than just the way his eyes lingered that caused Lydia to be wary. "You are right, however, I should be more careful. But it is my Diminius... I have to find him."

An odd creaking caught her hearing, and she looked over in that direction. It was a sign, down another street, swinging as if something had slapped it. Several young men were in that area, so she assumed it was one of them.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Gustianni let out a loud groan of pain as the hot poker went to work, continuing on for several seconds after the poker was pulled away. Gustianni panted hard as he worked through the pain. "This is what it's about? Confessions?! God in heaven! I confess to my priest! Oh God why do you do this if all you want is to hear confession?"

Sandor went to the window. The shutters were securely fastened closed against the chill of winter night.

"Of course, of course." The guard spoke as he continued to walk, apparently having either missed the youths or not considering them worthy of note.

There was a few barking sounds a bit further down the street and in one of the alleyways, the guard looked back, smiled, and hurried down after the sound.

Lyonel suddenly got the distinct impression he was going the wrong way, or maybe going that way had served its purposes now. He was close to... something.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Shutters were nice, but wood yielded before a good axe. Sandor hefted the weapon and drew upon a small fraction of the power of his blood to enhance his strength. A few blows and the shutters were so much kindling. Sandor pulled himself into the window and surveyed the interior with enhanced senses.
Last edited by Cynical Cat on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

There was a few barking sounds a bit further down the street and in one of the alleyways, the guard looked back, smiled, and hurried down after the sound.
Now she was caught by her own lie. Unfortunate, but it happens. Of course when it either started barking in fear or running away from her blinding, it will 'obviously' not be Diminius. Thus Lydia followed the guard, allowing her gown to 'naturally' keep her from moving as quickly. Something about him was still off in her mind. Winding up in one of the many alleys or dead end streets would be ... unfortunate.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Still following, Aziz began to feel as if he was being led through the labyrinthine city streets, though he made steady and rapid progress. In the worst case, he was learning this fair city better. Better case would be finding Lydia, as he thought she was headed in his direction as well - his hope was that their paths would converge.

Soon enough, he was rewarded, seeing the lady Lydia following a guard down an alley to his right. Shrugging, he followed it, coming out a short distance behind Lydia. He moved to match her pace, greeting her calmly as he approached so as to not startle her. "Good evening, lady Lydia. Splendid night this, don't you think?"
Last edited by rhoenix on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Just the man she wanted to see, but the timing was a little off. Now she would have to quickly cover her tracks to both the guard and Aziz.

"Aziz! It is good to see you!" she replied in Italian, and then did a rapid shift over to Turkish. Her actions and tone of voice were that of a woman distraught by loss spilling out a sad story to a friend, but her words explained it all. <"Listen to my words, not my actions. I have told this guard I am looking for my dog, Diminius, as he came upon me in my search for the Seer. Will you play this game with me, and send the guard away. Be subtle, be sly.">
Last edited by LadyTevar on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Nodding twice, Aziz looked concerned as he walked alongside Lydia, following the guard ahead. He replied in Italian, as if he hadn't heard her speaking in Turkish. "I am concerned for you, my lady - I know how precious Diminius is to you. If you wish the town upended to aid in the search, you have only to ask."

Privately, he was impressed. He had grown used to some of the political games the viziers of his clan employed, but he was quickly learning that sadly, they were rank amateurs compared to some of those he was meeting in this city, such as Lydia herself. He would learn much in his present and future dealings with her.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lydia returned to Italian with a unfeigned grateful smile. "Oh I *knew* you would understand, Aziz. Thank you so very much for your kindness..."

She then chose to turn to look at the guard. "And thank you so much for your aid as well, sir. You were most kind to aid me in distress." now go away. "Would you continue the search for my Diminius, while Aziz helps me check another street?"

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

The guard paused as the other man arrived, looking over him carefully. As the two talked he merely watched, getting more and more antsy. When Lydia turned her attention to him again he merely shook his head. "Uhhh, I am sorry M'lady. But I have remembered that I have to be at my post soon." He quickly made to leave at that point.

Sandor found that his entrance had caused a commotion. Somethings were moving now, shouting as they moved about in the dark to see whatever had caused the sound of shattering wood. There were four sources of sound, in the second room of the house. A man, a woman, and two children.

"Just stay behind me!" the man was shouting, probably to the others.
Last edited by Charon on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"Fresh meat, how sweet," murmured Sandor as he closed, axe in hand. Vampires could see better than humans at night and for those gifted with the blood of Tzimisce, further enhancements were possible. He came at his prey in a rush, his axe raised to smash the man down with the flat of the blade.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Charon wrote:The guard paused as the other man arrived, looking over him carefully. As the two talked he merely watched, getting more and more antsy. When Lydia turned her attention to him again he merely shook his head. "Uhhh, I am sorry M'lady. But I have remembered that I have to be at my post soon." He quickly made to leave at that point.
"Oh no!," Lydia exclaimed, stepping forward and reaching out to touch the man's arm, trying to draw his head around so she could gaze into his eyes. "Please, we heard a dog, perhaps it was my Diminius! Please, let us go see!"

As she had thought, the guard had meant her harm. Aziz ... well, probably any Male joining them at that point ... ruined whatever he was planning. However, if this guard would so treat a woman in distress, he did not deserve to be on the streets. Guardians had a Duty to their city, to the people inside. To do other than their Sworn Duty was sinful in Lydia's eyes, and Oathbreakers of the worst sort. There was only one thing to do with an oathbreaker.

Yet her voice and pleading eyes held nothing of her thoughts. "Please... do not leave yet...."