Witch Hunter: The Edge of the Abyss

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Clearly the Englishman had worries for his soul as he walked forward to thrust his hand into the flame. Sébastien did not, yet he knew it took a measure of doing to place his hand within regardless.

Sébastien approached the torch in silence, removed his glove, and placed his hand within the flame, looking all the while into the eyes of the old man who had orchestrated this.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Haizu
Initiate

Post by Haizu »

Naturally wary of "magical fire", Isaac stayed back and watched as four members of the group placed their hands into it with no harm whatsoever. Thinking that it was merely an optical illusion and more theatrics than anything else, Isaac waited for the man named Sebastien to move and then placed his own hand in the fire.
Last edited by Haizu on Sun May 09, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who do evil to others...the killers, rapists, psychos, sadists...you'll come to know me well. Frank Castle is dead. Call me....The Punisher.

The world will look up and shout Save Us and I'll whisper..No.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Smith, Sebastien, and Isaac's hands all passed through the fire without harm, a feeling of confidence and warmth flowing through them as they touched the flame. The old man eyed the last two members of the group who had not yet submitted themselves to the test. "Come on now, the faster this is done, the faster we can get to business."

In the public house, the two Merchants looked at Istavan, their faces slightly reddened from their beverages. "Nevermind Thomas, he thinks old Calvert is a right bastard and is looking for revenge on Coode and the rest of the colony for his being kicked out not too long ago. I say he's probably rotting in some cell off in England thanks to King William."

"Oh what do you know Henry? Them Papists can't be trusted, look at what's going on between the Spaniards and the French, and the Pope's just letting it happen, probably just so he can get them back under his thumb. Anyway, way I figure it, he's up to something, right? I mean, why else would all his former friends up and leave, each one pale as a Swede?"
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Walking forward with measured steps, Aaron walked up to the flame with measured steps, and a fond smile on his face as he regarded the flame. He silently removed his glove, and put his hand directly over the flame, enjoying the caress of Holy fire.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

"For what purpose have you brought us here, old man?" asked Sébastien impatiently as the last remaining members of the 'group' stepped forward. "In a dream, I saw this place from as far away as New France. What is of such importance as to bring this many of us here?"

Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

New World
Annapolis

He watched patiently as the old man offered his words and manifested the flame. His knowledge of the occult was lacking but he had a keen mind and was well read. He had focused on myths and lore of such things, the flame did not disturb him. Nonetheless, he was not pleased by its existence either. It represented more questions than answers, but it seemed the old man was adamant that it was a hurdle that had to be overcome. In another situation, he would have agreed that it was indeed a prudent choice if it was indeed a test to test their faith or worthiness.

He did not go first. He was far too prudent for that. To leap before looking had never been his nature. Some of his brothers in the order had commented that it was his greatest failing before the eyes of God. Still, while his prudence had undoubtedly ill served him at times it had also kept him safe. It had been his prudence after all that had pushed him to be certain that he had understood all the signs before he sought to make contact with the order. Had he been more foolhardy, he very well could have perished. The signs and portents of the order were not always clear and some had been deliberately placed with misinformation meant to drive the bold and sure to a shallow grave.

Ultimately, once the bulk of the others had stepped up to the fire and allowed it to test their flesh he found himself ready to indulge the process as well. He doubted that it would scar his soul but he was not absolutely certain. Still, he was certain of one thing. Without passing this test, he would not gain answers to his questions. He had crossed the ocean for those answers. He took a step forward and then another, his right hand leaving his side and the comforting presence of the scabbard which held his blade. His fingers moved deftly, removing a black glove and presenting olive skin to the light. A moment later, his bare left hand reached out and slid into the very core of the flame without any visual hesitation.

He allowed his hand to linger in the fire for five seconds, his head moving from side to side as he glanced at the assembled men before he pulled his hand back. Within seconds, the glove had once more hidden his flesh from sight.

"So, do we get our answers now or do you have more games for us to play?" He said in a heavy Spanish accent.
The Peddler of Half Truths.
"Not OP, therefore weakest." - Cynical Cat (May 2016)
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

As the last of the hunters proved their faith, the old man nodded. "Very well, you'll understand that at my age I like to be certain of things, which is why these foul visions always cause me duress. They are vague and incomplete, but they are all we have. My name, in case you couldn't read it coming in, is Richard Smythe. I've been at this trade for far too long, and as a reward for my many years of service, I have decided to retire from galavanting around and leave that to you young folks."

"As for why you're here, we all shared a vision, though I suspect mine was different from yours, it usually is since I've taken up a managerial role. I was told to expect you and give you aid while you're in Annapolis. Here is what I know. Firstly, people have been disappearing, slaves, merchants, all walks of life. Their places of residence, when they have any, have been cleaned out, but none remember seeing anyone going in or out. Some of the people were those who were loosely tied with the former Baron of Maryland, George Calvert, who hasn't been seen nor heard from since he was replaced by John Coode by order of King William. Now I don't care much for politics but Calvert was known to be a right bastard to most of us here and there's not much love lost for the man. Some people are saying he's behind the vanishings, either by causing them or informing his old friends to clear out before he returns."

"Either way, it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. I've not been able to go out and investigate, and the locals here are too superstitious to even attempt such a thing. That's where you lot come in. Now I don't doubt this is going to get dangerous. A collection as large as you lot means something rather severe is about to get under way or already has." Smythe picks up a piece of paper with a list of addresses and locations on it. "This is the last several vanishings. I suggest you look into it, and for the love of all that's Holy, do try to be at least a little subtle. Stirring up a panic is dreadfully easy, and the local guards do not appreciate that sort of thing. Neither do I, for that matter, last time there was a panic my favorite public house went up in flames and if I don't get my daily ale I get disagreeable."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"Gentlemen," said Istvan, "please explain from the beginning. Once I know the full story we can discuss this matter on even ground."
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Bertram's mental gears were turning. There were a few possibilities he could think of for how to proceed.

"I have several questions, to clarify, before we proceed" he said, not stopping to be acknowledged he went on

"The disappearances, you say they are from all walks of life. Is that number biased toward those who were friends of the former baron, or are they simply included in the number? I ask because if we assume one when it is in fact the other we will end up, how do you say it- chasing wild geese?"

"The second question is what you mean by cleaned out? I assume you mean robbed or otherwise had belongings removed rather then swept and mopped. Setting that aside, were only valuables taken, were specific sorts of items taken, or were the residences completely emptied?"
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

Even without being subtle they would need to speak to the local investigating constable at the least. This should be the easy part. Only a few, maybe two, should speak to the locals though. If every single one of them started asking questions or mentioned the missing people and empty houses, they'd think something big was going on and they'd be right. And as long as one of those few was him, he could use a pint of brown ale or sherry if he can get a hold of it.

Peter had listened to Bertram's questions and turned from him to the old man waiting for his reply.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Smythe raised a large, white eyebrow at the Hermeticist. "House slaves of the former baron, his favored artisans, and so forth, even some higher ranking officials who managed to keep their positions in the new regime. There are likely a few that are not connected to him, but most of the disappearances seem to have something linking them to Calvert. And I mean that their homes looked as though no one had actually lived there. No dust, no furniture, nothing."

"What? You don't know about Calvert? Where have you been?" Thomas exclaimed.

Henry sighed, "Now then Tom, can't you tell he's not from around here? Right then, well, it all goes to the Glorious Revolution in England. Good old King William tossed out that good for nothing James, and with it most of his cronies, that be including the now former Baron Calvert, who was in England at the time. Now Baron Coode, who replaced Calvert, was the head of the revolution here as well, and I'd bet anything Calvert wasn't happy about that, but if you ask me he's probably locked up in some tower somewhere or begging for farthings next to the Thames."

"And you can damn well bet that Catholic prick wants what for. Treats us like those savages from Africa just because we don't tow the Papal line, you know?"

"He was a bit of a right bastard, he was."

"That's right, and I say he's come back to take revenge on the people who betrayed him. Why the constabulary isn't doing more, I couldn't say."

"Well Tom, maybe if you wanted to change your line of work, drink a little less, you could look into it."

"They'd have to pay a lot more than what I make now for that to happen, but I'll wager that they wouldn't turn down a good tracker or trapper. I heard that Malcolm is scared out of his mind, keeps talking about making a trip south into Virginia, wasn't he?"

"Yeah, said something like that I think. Don't know why it would be better down there, mostly just a bunch of slaves and fields down that way. I hear they still have problems with wolves to the west," Henry said.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

"Men of repute and position vanish from their homes without a trace, and no person in the colony is willing to investigate?"

Sebastien took a moment to consider if perhaps the rumors he had heard about the neglectful practices of English government in the colonies were correct.

"If the locals are superstitious, then they must have some reason, invented or not, for why they do not investigate. Do they blame the Loup Garou? Or Witches? Or corrupt and evil men? The folklore they hide behind may not be as toothless as we think."

He looked at the others for a moment. "These people will not speak to me," he said in his french accent, gesturing at the Fleur-de-Lys on his surcoat. "I cannot pass as one of them, even if I were willing. I see no course but to go to the houses of those taken, and see what we find there."

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Bertram seemed to look inward for a moment. He had to figure out how to proceed. Bertram's profession defined him as subtle and also quick to anger. He could not be the one to do the talking. He was foreign and a hermetic, which would make it difficult to earn the trust of locals. Being catholic in a primarily protestant area did not help. He also knew he had the personality of a sharp cutting instrument. No one really liked those. While he may be the best suited to knowing something about what was going on during an investigation-depending on what the options were. Someone would need to be appointed by the group to do the talking and public house schmoozing, as well as gentle witness questioning.

They needed someone local or at least English, maybe Dutch, a protestant, with a disarming personality. That seemed to leave Aaron or Peter. Smith would work but he is a grouch. That last part he would leave out.

"Thank you Mr Smyth. Your clarification is appreciated" he said after a moment. The wonderful thing about internal monologues, they took place at the speed of thought.

"I do of course agree with Sebastien. Folklore is rarely toothless. Often only mistaken in detail and even when it deviates significantly from the fact has basis in truth. We need to visit the houses in question in find out what we can. However we also need to find out what the local people think, and what reasons they have for not investigating the matter, what superstitions they hold and what Agents of the Adversary may dwell within this region or which may be implicated. Given our shared visions it is not a matter of if in that respect. It is a matter of what."

"If we do not want to cause a panic or other disturbance during our investigation-afterall we would not want Herr Smythe to become grumpy" he said, accidentally using Herr instead of Mr.

"I would suggest that any questioning be done by someone who people will have a tendency to trust. In an English colony that leaves out the French as Sebastien has aptly noted"

"It also leaves out recognizable Jews and Catholics, particularly those who have undergone-what is the word? Witch Prickling?" he said, rolling up his sleeves revealing some really nasty scaring that wound its way up his forearm.

"If someone thinks they may be able to do this aspect of the job with proficiency please volunteer. Otherwise I would submit for candidacy Aaron or Peter."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

If Peter didn't know any better, it was almost as if Calvert and his acquaintances had completely disappeared into a different world and it's trying to convince us that they were never here.

Peter perked up when he heard Bertram suggesting him for the task.

Brown ale here he comes. "I can certainly do it and we should have another one of us to cover ground quicker. I think the first stop should be to the local constable or magistrate and glean what he may know from these disappearances even if he did not actively went to investigate. He may have been told details from the locals that we can start off from."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"If this Calvert had returned and was making trouble," said Istvan, "who would be most interested in getting it sorted out?"
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

New World
Annapolis

His eyes focused on the old man as he spoke. He nodded his head slightly in an acknowledgement that there were times where certainty was required. He had known many of those moments well. They had been common place in the days that he had been in training within his order. They had to be certain of him. They had worked long and hard to make sure he understood what being part of the order had been. Only when his loyalty had been guaranteed, had he been given a glimpse of the true scope of their fight against the adversary.

He listened to not only what the old man said but what he did not say. In the end, their task seemed to be straight forward enough but the old man had already stumbled on the gist of the matter. If they had all been gathered here as a way to blunt a planned offensive by the adversary, there were too many for something straight forward. He frowned for a moment and waited for the old man to make the piece of paper with what had appeared to him as being locations to make the paper available to them before he responded.

Others began to ask the old man questions and his eyes shifted to these individuals in turn as they spoke. His eyes settled on Sebastien as he spoke. A part of him instantly disliked the man, but he expected that was residual dislike for the man's country of origin. He carried his sword in a manner that implied that he could use it and his entire body seemed to exude a calm serenity that belied someone that had been to the heart of several storms and lived to tell the tale.

This hunter is one to look out for.

The thought swam to the surface and then disappeared as quickly as it came. Sebastien was indeed someone to look out for but he was also someone that could be used. He was already seeing the gathered hunters as pieces on a board. The strongest pieces tended to be the hardest to maneuver into position. In the end, it was Bertram's words that pulled him back to reality. There was something about the Hunter that instantly irritated him. He did not interrupt the man when he spoke but he wasted little time in making his thoughts known.

"Bertram, I appreciate what you are trying to do but what makes you think that you are in a position to dictate or even recommend who amongst us should do what?" He said softly. His eyes settled on Bertram for a moment before they slid to the others around him.

"We have shared little more than names after all. I know not what orders we hail from, what are our strengths or most importantly how we can best harness our unique skills in this puzzle of ours. I am not prepared to place myself underneath any of you." He said flatly before continuing.

"I propose that we go about the task that has been placed before us by Mr. Smythe as best we can in whatever ways we can. Afterwards, we are to reconvene sometime in the future and share whatever information we may discover. If some of us feel comfortable enough to work in pairs or whatever, that is of course the perogative of the Hunters involved." In his mind, he already begun to weave a set of deceptions and half truths that should justify not only his arrival on Annapolis but his future digging on various topics. He would spend the rest of the night making the necessary preparations.
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

'Ah, a loner' Bertram thought to himself, in german of course. An individual who thought himself above the others, one who pursued his own interests in his own way. He would be a difficult one to work with.

"I apologize for any misunderstanding." he said, his voice mollifying

"I was not intending to imply leadership or some form of hierarchy, only make the most efficient use of everyone's time and providing a starting point to build a group consensus, from which point we can work out how labor should be divided. As for how I can determine who may be most effective at what, accents tell me much. In addition to being a Hermetic sorcerer, I am a linguist. Accents tell me where individuals are from, and allow me to infer religion, which I have also studied. I merely put forth suggestions that with the information I had at hand seemed like good ideas. Others may of course have particular talents in persuasion that make them better candidates, or the ones I suggested may be ill suited because of their lack thereof."

He had to think of how to respond to the spaniards asinine suggestion that everyone strike out on their own. That was a very very bad idea for a number of reasons. Laying these reasons out was, Bertram supposed, the best way of showing that this is true.

"We have had a shared vision, which implies shared purpose and with shared purpose follows concerted action. That we all shared a vision is significant because it tells us that a larger game is being played than what is immediately on the surface of these events. We have enemies who are probably organized. If we are not organized as well we will be isolated and defeated one by one and when we convene to share information fewer than the original number will arrive at the meeting and those who do return will do so with their proverbial pockets turned out.

However I am only offering options and if the group consensus goes against my own suggestions that will be the end of it. If individuals wish to strike out on their own then there is nothing I can or will attempt to do in order to prevent them from doing so."

His voice was even and without a hint of emotion behind it. It was the only way Bertram had of persuading anyone, with pure logic. Those not inclined toward that particular method of persuasion would of course not respond to it.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Sun May 23, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

"After sharing a vision in common, as well as a common purpose, you would have us go our separate ways to examine them?" Aaron raised an eyebrow at the thought.

"Though I am not a gentleman of the refined sort by any polite stretch of the imagination, I am a healer of wounds, and have soothed frantic hearts before. I can speak on behalf of us, if needed," he said as he calmly regarded the others.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

There was a time for boldness and a time for hesitation. That was what the English who styled themselves 'Stalwarts' had tried to teach him in vain. It was not their fault. The blood of Englishmen was too cold, cold like their island, too enamored with reason, to fully understand what it was to be a member of La Garde. Nevertheless, rather than act like a fool, as once he might have, Sebastien took a moment to look over the Spaniard again.

Either a man of nobility, or one who pretended to it, yet Sebastien thought the former. The man carried a sword, openly, a rapier, elegant if the hilt was any indication. From his own experience, Sebastien knew that rapiers were unkind weapons. They lacked the mindless simplicity of meat axes or broadswords, trusting only to the skill of the wielder. Lightning fast though they could be, and elegant as they might have seemed to a watcher, swords such as that demanded ultimate confidence in the part of their owners, who could not rely on their unbreakable strength to save themselves. To even wear such a weapon openly was a statement in and of itself. It was why Sebastien wore one, and why half of Versailles did as well.

Yet to wear a sword, and to know how to use one, were entirely different things. Most of those who went armed at Versailles were mere fops and functionaries, who would not know which end of a sword to stick into their opponent. Yet this man was not so. He could tell instantly through the simple fact that while he openly wore his sword at his side, he never laid a finger on it, subconsciously or otherwise. To a man pretending martial skill, a sword was an alien object, and one he was secretly afraid of. Such a man would shift his sword uncomfortably, run his fingers over the hilt, or otherwise draw attention to it either without meaning to, or even intentionally, deeming the sword to make him more intimidating. This man did no such thing. The sword at his side did not exist for him except insofar as he might require it, an extension of his body.

He left aside entirely the question of whether they should act in concert or split up. If this Spaniard was as he judged him to be, the German Hermeticist had as much chance of "convincing" him as he did of halting the progression of the sun.

"Monsieur Alejandro is correct," he said, the name rolling off his tongue in French tones. "We do not know one another from any man on the street." He paused for a moment, before turning to the Spaniard and inclining his head slightly, a respectful nod, but not one of deference. It was the nod that Musketeers were trained to give when unsure of another's station.

"Then let me ask, who are you, Monsieur Alejandro? And are you here, in this English colony, so far from any civilized place?"

Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

Peter saw strength in both what the Spaniard and Bertram said. Why they bicker at all seemed pointless. "Gentlemen, please. It is obvious we must complete our objectives as effective and as swift as we can to stop what we have seen. The healer and myself have raised our voices to speak to the locals of which I presume we are then the ones confident doing so. If it is believed our lives are in danger doing the task alone then I suggest we are paired with someone." Which he wouldn't mind at all. He could always use a strong hand to stop a knife in the back. "It leaves the objective of whom among you will be investigating anything untoward that may lead us more clues to what is happening in the meantime. If there isn't anything else then we can get to know each other as we set about our tasks."
Haizu
Initiate

Post by Haizu »

"I agree with Mr. Cornwell." said Isaac, leaning against the wall by the door. "We are wasting time standing here bickering." Isaac was swiftly getting tired of the group politics.
Those who do evil to others...the killers, rapists, psychos, sadists...you'll come to know me well. Frank Castle is dead. Call me....The Punisher.

The world will look up and shout Save Us and I'll whisper..No.
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

New World
Annapolis

His eyes settled on Bertram as he spoke and watched the man carefully. His words of apology rang hollow to him, even if he had no particular talent for discerning falsehoods. He had always been better at lying than sensing when he was lied to, but as an accomplished liar he sensed an undercurrent of duplicity beneath the hunter's words. He spoke nothing of his suspicions however, deciding to give the man a chance to exchange his words and seeing if he was moved by them. The man revealed a great deal without hesitation which was good for those around him. A sorcerer would be of use in the days ahead, a linguist doubly so. Immediately, he found himself at odds with two conflicting emotions. It was his estimation that Bertram would be a poor choice for a leader but he would be a useful tool to be used by his superiors. He was already counting himself amongst that category before he began to lay out his reasoning like a parent sharing facts to a child.

He watched in seemingly enthralled as Bertram continued and spoke of their shared vision and all that such implied. Ultimately, it seemed apparent that Bertram was firmly locked behind his rational thinking and could not easily or perhaps could not see any other possibilities behind those events that had gathered them together. In the end, his eyes flickered to those men gathered around him. His own lips parted and he answered Bertram's words without delay.

"I see." He said softly, letting his words linger in the air as if waiting for an imperceptible shift in the moment before he seized it. "You see so much where there is so little Bertram. In a different time and place, I may have even been in awe of the way your mind so certainly sees truth and clarity where there is none. I wish I shared your vision, but I do not." He went silent for a moment a breath taken in and explored before he continued. "You speak of shared vision and yet I did not see you in mine." He said, artfully laying the implication that he had seen others. "The fact that we are all here does indeed suggest that all our talents will be needed in the days ahead. I do not dispute that. I am not so foolish nor am I bold enough to believe that I will stride forth and conquer the day on my own. Oh no Bertram, I know that I have need for all of you and I am willing to work with you." He said, his eyes sliding around them in a fashion the honesty and value beneath his words. It was clear that he had some experience in talking to groups, to understanding the ebb and flow of conversations and weaving them to his own whims.

"However, I disagree with your assessment regarding what sort of enemies we may or may not possess as well as their level of organization. You speak of unified action and organization. You speak of being isolated and defeated piecemeal." He paused, knowing that his next words would not be kind but feeling compelled to use them. "I say this. Stop projecting your own fears and deficiencies unto the rest of us. If you lack the skill and panache to guarantee your safety in the days and nights that are to come, you chose to be a part of the wrong profession." The path we walk favors the bold and the strong. So few understood that...

"Do you suggest that we live together all our time in Annapolis and beyond? Do you suggest that we should share all our meals, be within line of sight at all times and sleep in the same rooms like pagans fearing for the end of days?" Would that not cause more attention to be drawn to them? A group of foreigners all recently arrived moving in a pack? Such actions were those of prey.

"You are right in that we have options before us and I will work towards the consensus. I will not however, allow my desire to work with you all to override my good judgment. I am here to do God's work. " He said after a small break, reaffirming his desire to work with the others towards their shared objectives.

It was then that his attention left Bertram and focused on Aaron Pandra. His words would have been answered by his rebuke to Bertram but he found himself nodding his head slightly in his direction. For whatever reason, Aaron's words did not bother him like those of Bertram had. Perhaps he was attributing malice to where none existed but he had learned to trust his instincts. "A healer will be of great use in the nights to come. No one will keep you from speaking Aaron, such is your right."
His attention moved to Sebastien when he spoke words that he was always fond of hearing. It was then that the French hunter did something peculiar and he without hesitation answered in kind. His own head inclined all but a mirror image to the Hunter who hailed from the nation he despised above all others.

I can hate his country, but I should not hate the man.

The thought swam to the very surface of his mind before lingering for only a moment and retreating to the depths once more. It was then that Sebastien darted forward and leveled a thrust aimed at his facade. Knowledge was power and while a part of him wanted to lie to the hunter, he felt a part of him wishing to reward his boldness.

"I am a man much like any other Monsieur Sebastien." He replied artfully, although his French like his English was heavily accented and not at all fluent. His eyes settled on those of his French counterpart for a moment before he continued. "A man much like you I expect." His eyes left those of Sebastien and glanced towards the others gathered around him. "I share a path with all of you. I may even share a common destiny. I was drawn here for the same reasons, an insistent dream that was a plea as much as a demand. In the end, I could no longer hold back my sense of duty or curiosity." He went silent for a moment his eyes returning to Sebastien before he spoke once more.

"I had always wanted to see the New World. The failures of my country in these lands aside, This is a land of promise and opportunity." The Crusaders Inviolate hold in the New World was tenuous at best. He could be instrumental in changing that. There were answers in his words, and yet there were so many more questions. For the moment, Sebastien would have to be satisfied with that. He would not be the first to unveil his secrets.

His head turned and he glanced towards Peter, his words met with a smile that seemed to make his entire face bloom. "I agree with your assessment. If there are those amongst us that wish the be paired, they can of course do so." He had no intention of making a decision for anyone. He simply expected the same courtesy. His eyes glanced towards Sebastien for a moment.

Strange. So far, the only one I wish to be paired with is him.

Isaac spoke then and he chuckled softly. "If you think that we are bickering, you should see the French Court." His words escaped his lips before his brain had a chance to filter them and a frown graced his features for a fraction of a second. He recovered quickly, before he found himself speaking. "Those that wish to pair up can do so. I am staying in a local establishment for the moment, I will return to my room and I will begin to gather what information I can. I will be more than happy to work in conjunction with anyone else that shows any interest in doing so."
Last edited by Marcao on Thu May 27, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Listening to the words of the men around him, Aaron Pendra only nodded once. "God speaks how He chooses, not how we choose - we must be able to listen regardless. I will help as I can."

So, to the New World, with the same Adversary. The surroundings and details may change, but apparent the great Divine Games did not.

- William Gibson

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

"Mein Gott im Himmel" Bertram said, crossing himself. He had made an error. The Spaniard was not quite the arrogant loner Bertram initially took him for. It was possible they were saying similar things but from different directions. That having been thought, he was starting to get annoyed. He had gone through a year of torture for his art. He did not appreciate being talked down to or patronized. He especially did not take kindly to being accused of cowardice.

"Accusing me of cowardice will get you nowhere. Were I a coward I would have broken during the Ordeal and would have died a death almost as bad as the Ordeal itself. Our endeavor favors the strong and the bold, which often translate to the organized and intelligent. Now, I am fairly certain you understand this, which is why I think we may have been talking past one another. Talking of similar strategies but approaching them from a different direction and with different preconceptions. You are correct, a gang of foreigners all together would be odd. Suspicions would be raised and doors that would otherwise be open to an individual would be closed. I speak simply of dividing labor consciously and efficiently, in an organized way that takes advantage of individual skills and the public's prejudices. Of making sure that the right hand knows what the left is doing. Splitting up and working on different aspects of our puzzle is necessary, but we need to establish who goes where first." he chuckled

"And yes, this is not bickering. This is a civilized disagreement. If you want to see bickering I would look to any noble court of any country, or a public house in Germany where protestants and catholics intermingle."

He paused, looking around the room and trying to figure out who he may want to accompany him. He liked Sebastien, he seemed like a reasonable fellow, but for what he had planned he would be ill suited. The Spaniard would be right out...

"Peter, I will probably start by looking inside the homes of those who vanished. There may be clues even though their possessions are gone. I will start with those of lower position. Slaves, artisans etcetera. If you wish to accompany me and do the talking and questioning of those who may have witnessed something, they may open up to you more than me. A similar group who's background and talents are more suited may want to try equivalent tactics with the Gentry. If these sorts of divisions are what we want to do we should divide up the work now, and set a time and place to reconvene and share information. If not and you all wish to go about things on your own without prior organization, I will simply go down the list in order. Either way, picking a time and place to reconvene, share information, and assess the situation will need to be done."
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Mon May 31, 2010 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

Peter felt a bit insulted. In his previous service to his Majesty and from his learning, he was well acquainted with speaking to the Gentry.

On top of that, it appears he wants to pull him away from the pubs where more loose tongues are abound and his brown ale.

He let out a small sigh keeping calm. Bertram's assumptions and the tongue letting them out needed to have an eye kept on them and unless he wanted to entrust the healer to to do so, he himself would have to. Peter took another moment to gather what he will reply.

"I will certainly join you, Bertram. Whoever we meet I will ply their tongues. By nightfall, I suggest we return here. Mr. Smythe, would it be possible to temporarily use a room here for our needs?" The room they were in now seemed to be a meeting place but with all the bottles and vials filled with various chemicals, he did not want to suggest Mr. Smythe was a fool to leave them with us unattended.