Vampire: A City by the Sea

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lydia gave a low chuckle. "Milan sent them to burn Genoa to the ground ... but Prince Maria made them a far better offer."

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Maria nods, a small smile playing on her lips. "Thorkell, how good of you to arrive."

Thorkell ignored the backhanded comment and only bowed slightly. "My men were preparing." When he straightened up again, the Einherjar's eyes focused on the two newcomers, studying them carefully for a few moments before returning his attention to Maria. "Well?"

Maria was stoic for all of a response, though she looked to the cloaked man to her right.

He took that as his sign to speak and shuffled forward, throwing the cloak off of himself as he moved. He was an extremely old looking man, perhaps in his seventies when he was changed, his eyes constantly searched the horizon beyond the walls of the room as he coughed once or twice to clear his throat, a completely useless gesture added only for effect. "This night, I was visited by the spirits once again, and the spirits whispered of their secrets in my ears. They had come to me for I was chosen among the damned to recieve them. They warned me, warned me that something was coming. I asked them what it could be, and they did not answer. I compelled them to speak, but still they refused to give answers." The old man's arm shot forward. "I reached into the Ether that the creatures called home, and I grabbed one about the throat, pulling it close I whispered deep threats of the things I could do to spirits, of the torments that it would experience. But still it refused to speak. Releasing the beast I let it pass back into the void and called upon simpler methods. A black cat sufficed, deeply connected to the magic that flows around us, was gutted and it's entrails spilled onto centuries old granite. There I did see a host of Milan, men in full arms, ravening ghouls thirsty for the blood of Caine, and their sickly Cainite masters. They were on the road, coming South, coming for Milan."

It was hard to say if the audience was captivated by the story it had been told, or bored out of their mind on how long it took the Malkavian to get to the point. Regardless, his part in the play done, Demosthenes stepped back. Maria looked across the hall to the leper then. "Harold, what have you learned?"

The leper stepped forward, his cloak covered almost all of him, and the bells tied to his clothing chimed with every movement. "A force is coming from the North, about 8 miles from the city now. 21 horsemen in all."

The leper stepped back then and Maria looked from Thorkell to Alfred.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

That was indeed serious. Lydia frowned, her mind racing ahead. They would have to sally forth, meeting the men as far outside the city as they could to prevent mortals from seeing the fight. The WarLord and Sheriff would lead the charge, yet those who could fight and swore to aid the Prince protecting the city would be charged to go.

Lydia herself would have to fetch her lorica and saddle a good horse. Her grey eyes slid to watch Konstantin. As she'd thought, he would get a chance to prove himself. Yet if he went ... her eyes slid to the Tremere ... would one of them follow?

The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

A slow smile spreads on Ottar's face as he Harold finishes. This--this--is good news.
Sometime monkey fall from tree.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Konstantin was not impressed. How in all the hells did they expect to win wars if they waged them like this? Outwardly, he kept his face calm and neutral.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Thorkell took a few steps forward, smiling. "My men will handle this, and with ease." He looked to Alfred with a grin.

Alfred scoffed in reply. "For all we know ten of those number are Cainites. We need to examine this more, figure out troop composition before we act. Nor does this incident fall under the Warlord's domain, this is the job of the Sheriff."

"And by then they'll already have our heads on pikes." Thorkell growled. "It is outside of the city limits, and as such my troops will lead the charge."

Alfred glared at Thorkell. "Your troops? Your troops couldn't-"

"Enough." It was not spoken loudly, but the command was powerful enough to silence both of the bickering vampires. "Why weren't they noticed before this?" She turned to Alfred, her eyes blazing behind the calm shell.

Alfred paused, taking a measure of control over his beast which threatened to leap out. "It is a small force, as such our human spies either missed them or did not consider 21 horsed men a threat." There were a dozen other possibilities, but none of them were good. "Regardless, 21 horsemen aren't a threat unless a significant portion of them are Cainites, which I doubt. They're probably attempting to infiltrate and stir up trouble."

Thorkell broke in, "All the more reason to utterly destroy them before they see the walls. Send a message to Milan that we are still strong!"

Maria turned her heated gaze to Thorkell now, he had interrupted and spoken without being addressed. "The good Redblood has a point. Thorkell, you will lead a force out to destroy these Milanese before they reach sight of the walls."

Alfred stood stock still in fury at this, and one had to wonder, with how fast of a decision this seemed to be, if Maria hadn't already come to this conclusion hours ago.

Thorkell was grinning, though he did not try to further entice Alfred.

"However, you will not be going alone." The smile on Thorkell's face died a little. "Gunther, Sir Giustiniani, Sir Karpathy, Father Wolschin, and Lady Nikolakis shall accompany you." She turned now to look at Karaja Pasha. "Ambassador, might we ask you for your assistance in defending this city?"

Karaja nodded. "Of course, Prince." He looked to Aziz then. "Aziz will join your endeavor."

Maria smiled. "My thanks to you." She took in the whole hall then. "That is all. Thorkell, issue your orders." As she finished speaking Maria immediately turned to Alfred and the two began a heated, though very quiet conversation.

Thorkell turned now to look at the hall. "Alright, let's see what I've got to work with here. All those called step forward."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Twenty one was too large to be inconspicous and too weak to repel an attack or secure a daylight resting place. It was fine if you were trying to sack some jarl's mead hall, but this was Genoa. Not that the Warlord's tactics seemed much better, but Konstantin didn't need a rivalry with a Gangrel elder. Not when he rested within easy striking distance of Gangrel claws.

So instead of calling the Warlord a fool and suggesting that they secure the gates and send ghouls after them at dawn, the Tzimisce stepped forward. This fight would help secure his position and it might give him the opportunity to commit diablerie. He was willing to take that risk. The enemy was certainly less fearsome than a Gangrel Warlord looking to eliminate a would-be rival.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

She had this planned. Lydia thought as she too stepped forward, clad in what the Gangrel was sure to think of as useless. "Warlord," she greeted him, inclining her head in acknowledgement of his position. "Allow me but a little time to fetch arms and armor, and I shall be ready to ride with you."

She could strip down to her tunica quickly enough, then pull the lorica squamas over it. Her swordbelt, and then her horse, and she would be ready. "Grant me leave, and I shall prepare," her eyes flickered to the Prince as she said that, then back to Thorkell.

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

It had been a while since Florien had seen combat, he was well trained, but his particular disciplines were poorly suited to it. Still, he could turn enemies against their fellows, which was a useful skill on its own.

"Warlord, if you would give me an opportunity to do the same, to fetch my armor and weapons. And if they are home and with your permission, fetch my retainers."
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Stepping forward, Aziz bowed before the Prince, though he rose before speaking. "As I only recently arrived, I still have all my belongings with me. I am ready when needed."

A fight, and so soon? Oh, this promised to be a truly fun challenge. Particularly in the dead of night, when silence could spring on the unwary, he thought as he smiled slightly, as he mentally called to the weight on his left hip of the bastard sword he carried, the one that he had chosen to hear his whispers to the steel. It was eager.
Last edited by rhoenix on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Gunther and Nicolo also stepped forward and Thorkell took a moment to examine each person, though he spent little time infront of Nicolo, as they had fought together before. The Gangrel elder spent a great deal of time infront of Aziz and Konstantin, looking over every detail before nodding.

When first Lydia, then Florien, and then Aziz spoke the Gangrel raised his hand to cut them off. "There's still plenty of night to burn. We aren't in a particular rush." He looked back at his own followers. "Olaf, time."

Olaf closed his eyes for a few seconds, concentrating. "It'll hit in an hour or two. Should last the rest of the night."

"Alright then," he looked back to the Cainites who would be assisting him. "We will meet outside the main gates in an hour. Be prepared for battle, if you have men capable of battle you may bring them or leave them at your leisure."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

What a . . . less than stirring demonstration of martial leadership. At least he wouldn't have the Tremere at his back. He drew forth a whetstone and examined the edges of his sword and axe. The axe was fine, but his sword had a new minor nick. He sighed. The once fine German steel had been ill treated over the last two years. It was still a good sword, but it no longer was a fine one.

"What is the plan?" he asked. "Are we going to line up in front of the city gates and then charge them in the finest traditions of French Chivalry?"
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Thorkell looked at Konstantin with a raised eyebrow. "Hardly. We've called in a fog bank which will cover our tracks. We will move up, prepare a defensive position if one presents itself, and ambush them as they come to us. If you would prefer to charge them in the open and be skewered by their lances, just be certain to do it about the time that we ambush them so our own attack isn't given away."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"We are going to rely on fog to conceal ourselves from Cainites?" Konstantin said, unable to keep the skepticism out of his voice. "On the main road to the city? Cainites who are expecting a fight? This is your plan?" Konstantin hadn't intended to challenge the Gangrel, but the assumption that the attacking vampires would have none among them with superior sense was so wildly optimistic that he could not hold his tongue.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

"Some of them will be Cainites. They may not be affected but their human servants will be. What would you do Dragon? With such short notice there is little else that can be done against this foe on the field." Thorkell paused, "If they get to the city there will be battle at the walls, knowing they are doomed once the sun comes up the Cainites and their ghouls will break the 6th tradition as flagrantly as they can in front of hundreds if not thousands of humans before they die." Thorkell sneered. "This is not the Carpathians, fiend, the humans here do not know what we are."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"How eager do you expect these Cainites are to die? To taste the fires of the Christian hell? Replace the guards at the gates with men who are ours or use the gifts of our blood to bespell them. Then offer terms. If they wish to die breaking the Sixth Tradition, the only witnesses will be ours. Not that they will make that choice. Their lives belonged to our Prince the moment they stepped foot on her lands. Offer them terms better than death and they will yield and you will lose not a single subject. Far better than a bloody ambush that the Cainites among them will see and prepare their subjects for. To trade useful lives with doomed vampires is folly." Their was no deference in Konstantin's voice now, only the tone of command of a Carpathian warlord.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lydia said nothing more, watching the Warlord and the Dragon 'discuss' warfare. The 6th Tradition had hampered the defense of Constantinople as well, in her opinion. Yet, even if it had been broken, the mortals had been as numerous as ants.

Thus, she listened. And she learned.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

There was a mighty crack as Thorkell attacked. Konstantin flew across the room from the blow and slammed against one of the marble pillars, several of his ribs broken. Thorkell was on him in an instant, one hand with his fingers around his victim's throat, the other hand on Konstantin's chest, fingers pressing hard against his chest.

Long talons sprouted from the end of one of Thorkell's hands, the unusually long talons sliced just barely against Konstantin's throat, cutting open the flesh and sliding easily into the marble.

"I have entertained your cowardice and idiocy long enough, child. Now I shall feast on your heart."

The rest of the room had gone silent and Maria was standing. "Thorkell!"

Violence was not to be done in the Prince's court, not without her express permission. The elder Gangrel turned and looked to the Prince, growling slowly. Maria stared coldly at the Gangrel, her eyes boring into the Einherjar.

Without another word Thorkell dropped the Dragon and looked at the others. "Outside the gates within the hour."

Not waiting for another word to be said the Gangrel stalked over to Vannius and began to speak in hushed tones with him.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Konstantin slid to the floor. The vampire flexed his shoulder and felt the broken ribs grate against each other and jab through his flesh. He smiled, showing his killing fangs, as he completed the motion and agony rippled through his dead flesh. He was Tzimisce! Some vampires mourned the transition to undead flesh, but pleasure and pain remained. Sensation, exquisite and body wracking, remained.

The blood he had taken sped his healing. The wounds were minor, all except the talon slices on his neck. Those would take awhile. He had miss stepped and he had known it when he had done it, but by the gods living and dead this Gangrel was a fool and this prince a fool and a weakling not to replace him. He was simply not prepared for such . . . ineptness among the westerners.

Now he knew. Avoiding court after this would be wise. The Warlord had a much more serious and credible rival in the Sheriff. Court would have nothing for him anyway. He needed to make alliances with other Cainites, away from the accursed Tremere and he needed opportunities to end them as well.

Patience was an art an immortal needed to master.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lydia blinked as Konstantin hit the marple pillar, Thorkell's claws at his throat. It was the only reaction she allowed herself to make, as she inwardly wondered if the Carpathian would be allowed to keep his unlife.

Lydia remained unmoving as the Prince called the Gangrel back to order, her grey eyes scanning the room quickly for reactions before returning to Konstantin, where he slumped against the pillar, smiling with bared fangs as softer cracks could be heard, his ribs sliding back into place.

He would leave the court soon, she thought. He would not stay after that insult. She finally moved, stepping out towards the middle, far enough for her to be able to bow deeply to the Prince upon her dias, before turning and walking out of the hall. Nothing more needed said, although if she could have passed closer to Konstantin, she might have risked a word or two.

Still, there was time to speak to him outside. He was right in one thing -- the Genoa Vampires did not know War. And, after embarrasing himself thus, he would need an ally still in favor with the Court.

As she exited the great house, waving off any of Maria's servents who might step forward, she paused in the courtyard. A horse of good breeding was there, one whose saddle showed wear of travel. The chances of it being Konstantin's steed were too great to ignore, as most Genoan vampires rarely rode.

Thus she stepped closer to the steed, still out of range should it bite, looking it over as if judging its worth for purchase, waiting for its owner to emerge.
Last edited by LadyTevar on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

Ottar takes his leave of the court and uses the time he has to inspect his weapons and armor. Both would be tested tonight.

He had been wearing his shield, battleaxe and dagger at court. Now he stops by his haven and retrieves his greataxe, placing it alongside his other weapons and his shield. The dagger is in good condition as it rarely sees combat. The shield is nicked, dented and roughed up from use but its basic structure is still sound, the damage is mostly cosmetic. The battleaxe needed sharpening, and when he had time a good grinding. The greataxe, used less often, is still in good condition with only a couple nicks where blade had met armor in the past. He stes to work sharpening the smaller axe.
Sometime monkey fall from tree.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Konstantin strode out into the night air. He approached his horse and drew forth the spear he had so recently acquired and examined it. It was a solid enough weapon, with a good head. It could, however, use a few touch ups. He drew out his whetstone. "Something on your mind?" he asked the Roman.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

She watched in silence as he pulled out the spear. Only when he spoke first did she speak. "Simply noting that your horse has traveled far, and might have need of rest."

She turned, starting to walk away. "I have a small stable at my house, if you wish. I myself would like company upon the way."

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

He reached down and pulled her up onto the saddle. "A lady should not walk when she can ride."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

She had tensed a moment when he reached for her, but allowed him to pull her up. "Then let me offer you the hospitality of my home," she said in return, before guiding him to her door, only a few streets away.