Mass Effect: Going Dark

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Sabre72
Apprentice

#426 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by Sabre72 »

frigidmagi wrote:"If it was gonna be drawn outside, it would have been so by all those screaming mercenaries... We're gonna have to solve this another way. Okay. Those of you not on covering duty, with me. We're not gonna go through the entry it expects. We're back to plan A. On me people." Lysander said, getting up and hustling to the wall. The breach charge sat in his pack and suddenly he could feel every contour.

Time for the traditional engineer solution. First take one bomb...

Junko was beside Lysander in a flash with her barrier and pistol at the ready.
Soleimon Berserker
Apprentice

#427 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by Soleimon Berserker »

Growling under his breath at the human's haste, Sol tabbed his comm back on despite his earlier statement. "Lysander, let's not be hasty about this. Let Shaddai finish his approach, if that doesn't work, or if we can't reason with this thing logically that's when we go blowing out walls."

Shaking his head in exasperation the Quarian's eyes closed for a moment as he sighed, "...And they say I'M the young one."
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#428 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by frigidmagi »

"Recall the briefing, time is a factor. There's also roving bloodpack in those hills." Lysander replied.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Sabre72
Apprentice

#429 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by Sabre72 »

Soleimon Berserker wrote:Growling under his breath at the human's haste, Sol tabbed his comm back on despite his earlier statement. "Lysander, let's not be hasty about this. Let Shaddai finish his approach, if that doesn't work, or if we can't reason with this thing logically that's when we go blowing out walls."

Shaking his head in exasperation the Quarian's eyes closed for a moment as he sighed, "...And they say I'M the young one."
Junko tabbed her comm on, "let Lysander get the bomb in place, we will let Shaddi continue, this way we will have more then one option here, we dont have time to think this through we have to act sooner or later, Shaddi can think faster then us let them figure the AI out."

Junko's tone went a little more firm and her voice louder then anyone has heard, " The units currently not covering, form up on lysander now, no more lollygagging!"
White Haven
Disciple

#430 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by White Haven »

Iona's droll, dry tone drifted across the tacnet, her helmet hiding the sardonic smile on her lips, "I suppose further recon is on hold."

Unseen behind her stealth systems, the asari bellied down in a small depression and began to work her way along its length to a position that had a slight bit more cover from the facility's direction. Of course nothing had overhead cover, but beggars can't be choosers. In any case, an adept could create her own ceiling at need.
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'
frigidmagi

#431 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by frigidmagi »

The breach charge was in place, rigged carefully to blow a nice big hole in the wall.

"Okay, everyone back up along the wall, it'll blow out, as long as you're 20ft or so away, we'll be fine." Lysander said motioning. He had the trigger on a 5 second delay, enough time to run 20ft. Once everyone was positioned, he started the count down.

"In 5...4...3...2..Aggggghhhh!" He hit the trigger and ran like a man being chased.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Soleimon Berserker
Apprentice

#432 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Watching the human dash out of range of the explosive, Sol'Amon's head tilted to the side in confusion as he silently watched the man run by him screaming like a banshee.

"Huh....that was very...tactical, i suppose."
Sabre72
Apprentice

#433 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by Sabre72 »

Junko ran toward Sol and brought him into cover breaking his motionlessness, she then addressed him with a smile "I think we should stick together dont you?"
Soleimon Berserker
Apprentice

#434 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Shrugging nonchalantly despite the tense situation that was about to erupt from just 20 feet away from them, Sol's lips quirked behind his mask. "Some sort of Vanguards Coalition? I dunno, I don't have a history of playing well with others, minus Shaddai and Stars, but i've only met them since the beginning of the trials."

Looking toward Lysander, the human still shrieking at the top of his lungs as he ran for cover, the Quarian sighed before looking back at the girl.

"Meh, couldn't hurt. I've already got a Geth watching my back constantly, might as well add another biotic to the mix, just to spice things up."
Sabre72
Apprentice

#435 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by Sabre72 »

Soleimon Berserker wrote:Shrugging nonchalantly despite the tense situation that was about to erupt from just 20 feet away from them, Sol's lips quirked behind his mask. "Some sort of Vanguards Coalition? I dunno, I don't have a history of playing well with others, minus Shaddai and Stars, but i've only met them since the beginning of the trials."

Looking toward Lysander, the human still shrieking at the top of his lungs as he ran for cover, the Quarian sighed before looking back at the girl.

"Meh, couldn't hurt. I've already got a Geth watching my back constantly, might as well add another biotic to the mix, just to spice things up."
Junko smiled at Sol's statement about not playing well with others she thought to herself, "trying to be all manly now are we?"

Junko tilted her head at Sol like she had a idea, "well your a vanguard too. Right?, imagine if we both charged the same target? unloaded on them and charged anyway into cover, am sure we can play that well." said Junko who blinked one eye at Sol.
White Haven
Disciple

#436 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by White Haven »

For just this moment, not being killed by falling debris trumps stealth, particularly given that no one's actually shooting or attempting to shoot the bellied-down adept for the moment. She flattens herself down against the rocky ground as far as possible, then turns her attention to working as unobtrusive a barrier over her as possible, trying to ward just the little dip in the ground she's huddled in.
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#437 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by Cynical Cat »

"Eyes are on the breach, nothing yet," said Mikhail.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#438 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by rhoenix »

For Shaddai, fully four fifths of the entire Loyalist collective were devoted to overwhelming electronic defenses on both networks. What they discovered however, gave them all pause.

The first two thousand programs raced into the facility's wireless network system, swiftly overwhelming the defenses, and gained administrator access to the system. With this level of access, Shaddai could now choose to lock or unlock specific rooms of the facility, among other levels of access. However, the administrator level of database access showed that the system had been accessed recently, and for lack of a better description, defaced.

It was as if electronic claws had rent large gashes in the datastore. The data remaining was fragmented, but the remainders seemed to make it clear that the damage had been done to the datastore very recently - after the project had reached its final stages. Unfortunately, the two thousand run-times were not able to discover anything else of value within this network.

The second group of two thousand run-times raced toward the second wireless network, cautiously slipping past the firewalls to reach administrator access. At first, Shaddai was confused by the contents of the datastore, as the vast majority did not make sense by any programmer's measure. However, small items here and there, that were referenced by the About materials available through anonymous access were readable.

Those small caches of data showed that the specifics of the YMIR mech's design went beyond the planned design, including carbon nanoweave mesh armor beneath its large metal armor plates, bomb-disposal grade kinetic shielding, and upgrades to all joints to allow them to be cooled or heated independent of its environment, keeping movements unhindered even in harsh environments.

Worse though, was that as the two thousand run-times were scanning those data caches, a feeling of somehow being watched came over them. Slowly, they realized that they had all been observed the entire time they had explored within this network. The two thousand run-times each received a text message at once:
Text Message wrote:HOW ARE YOU LISTENING TO MY THOUGHTS? WHO ARE YOU?
It was at that moment that a dull whump noise hit, as a small wall of the facility was reduced to rubble and flame from Lysander's work.

All of Team Five had patiently waited instead of rushing inward, so they all clearly heard the voice. The voice was grating, an electronically-generated male voice, and very loud. "VOICES IN MY HEAD, AND VOICES OUTSIDE. WHO ARE ALL OF YOU? I DIDN'T WANT THIS! LEAVE ME ALONE!"
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Sabre72
Apprentice

#439 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by Sabre72 »

Junko upon hearing the male voice cringed, but what the voice said made Junko even more disturbed and pissed off.

Junko addressed the voice in return, " We are here to help any survivors and to remove the blood-pack, What is your stance, do you need help?"

Despite Junko knowing that this normally never works she still commits to her core, see if you can save anyone, give them a chance, whether it is someone the truly needs help, or someone that needs to redeem themselves, Junko gives people a choice then reacts.

This choice may be with words or action, Junko can find out within the first few seconds after asking, normally.

"Shaddi! Now may be a good time tell us whats going on" Said Junko.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

#440 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by SirNitram »

"Analysis: Entity possesses.. A true mind. Geth infiltration disturbing. Strike team agitating further. Recommendation: Fall back. Disconnect from network. Attempt negotiation at maximum range." Many As One postulated at speeds only machines could, extrapolating from the actions of his teammates. The signs pointed to trauma; a rare thing for Geth, but one known to the network.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

#441 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by General Havoc »

Sabre72 wrote:"Shaddi! Now may be a good time tell us whats going on" Said Junko.
Shaddai had no idea what was going on.

Twenty-six thousand, two hundred and fifty-nine different theorized explanations were already tabled for consideration, such a mass of potential data to sift through that not even Shaddai attempted to do it in the middle of combat. Initiating emergency collation procedures, Shaddai withdrew all but a hundred of its constituent Geth from each of the networks that it had just overcome. For the moment, it needed them for emergency purposes.

The meeting Shaddai held to debate its next action was short, even by Geth standards. The motion to forgo rigorous debate in favor of immediacy was passed by acclamation without discussion or modification. A text of proposed transmissions to the remainder of the squad was drafted, modified slightly, and accepted immediately. Fifty programs were detached to broadcast it to the rest of the team while the bulk of the collective turned to the thornier problem.

"There is a sapient organic slaved to a highly-modified YMIR-class omnimech within this facility," broadcast Shaddai, allowing its normally monotone voice to rise in tempo and intensity. "It is disoriented and confused, and does not recognize what has been done to it. It is well-armed and protected by military-grade nanoweave armor, mech-class kinetic shielding, and high-level firewalls. Withdraw immediately, or it will likely initiate hostilities."

Having done that, Shaddai turned to the Sol'Amon, to the creator beside him. The team was one thing, but this was another.

"The entity inside that facility is extremely well armed," said Shaddai, in a voice that was reserved but calm. "We... strongly recommend withdrawing at this time, lest it perceive us to be a threat. If you wish, we are capable of providing cover for your withdrawal."

Even as it said these things, Shaddai heard Many-As-One's recommendation that it disconnect from the network immediately, but after a short debate, decided not to do so. A hundred programs remained connected to the YMIR, while a hundred more downloaded every scrap of data they could find from the non-sapient network for later perusal. The hundred that remained were the vehicle for a text message prepared by the collective and sent back to the YMIR.
"We are Shaddai. We are an artificial intelligence. Please excuse our intrusion, we did not know you were alive. Can we be of any assistance to you before we leave?"
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
JD196
Apprentice

#442 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by JD196 »

"That isn't something we want to piss off. Everyone fall back." Tallos continued to watch the hole in the side of the building.
frigidmagi

#443 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by frigidmagi »

"Belay that. We're not falling back until we find out where the research team is and what we're dealing with. Everyone stay low, no sudden moves. Support group be ready to cover us if this goes to pot. Shaddai, Many are either of you in communication with it? Everyone stay still, quiet and calm." Lysander ordered.
JD196
Apprentice

#444 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by JD196 »

"That thing is currently not hostile and making it hostile is not a good idea. If we can negotiate with it and get it to stand down we have a better chance of getting everyone out of there alive."
frigidmagi

#445 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by frigidmagi »

"Thank you Mr. Obvious. Now be still and be quiet, if the Geth are in contact, they'll do the talking." Lysander replied with irritation.
Sabre72
Apprentice

#446 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by Sabre72 »

frigidmagi wrote:"Thank you Mr. Obvious. Now be still and be quiet, if the Geth are in contact, they'll do the talking." Lysander replied with irritation.
Junko just shook her head and stayed in cover beside Sol
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#447 Re: Mass Effect: Going Dark

Post by rhoenix »

General Havoc wrote:
"We are Shaddai. We are an artificial intelligence. Please excuse our intrusion, we did not know you were alive. Can we be of any assistance to you before we leave?"
The stomping sounds from inside stopped, just before Shaddai's 100 run-times still present in the network received a reply to their query.
YOU... CAN YOU HEAR MY THOUGHTS, AS AN AI? THEN... I AM A... ROBOT NOW. CAN YOU HELP ME? I... WAS JUST A TECH, HELPING THE OTHER SCIENTISTS. I... JUST WOKE UP TO SCREAMS AND DEATH FROM... SMALL THINGS.
Following this, there was nothing but silence.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.