Rogue Trader: The Hand of Fortune

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

"It is hard to say anything definitive without the skull my Lord Captain. What is left of the body doesn't tell us much, what fragments I can find may suggest skull mutation. The crew did a good job of blowing him to the Emperor's Judgment though. Given the body we found earlier in the hold, I do think it likely that something unclean found it's way into the ship. We may want to check the ship's warp defenses twice." Vorlan reported.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The throne computer system is online, but the systems it was connected were still powerless and dead.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

Undetered by the unresponsiveness of the associated systems, Vir began looking for any sort of logs, reports or other information on the captain's personal station. That was what he had really been looking for. Even orders logged by the system itself would be interesting and potentially useful.

Without meaning to, he began to hum to himself as he searched. Really, it was quite an enjoyable enterprise.
Summer camp, summer camp!/The donuts that they give you/they say are mighty fine/but one rolled off a table/and AHH FUCK WHY ARE THERE ZOMBIES IN THE CANOE CABIN
Camp Fuck You Die. Applying here is the most stressful thing in the universe.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The computer held a record of the latest batch of command overrides. The murder-servitors had been activated and dispatched on hunter-killer assignments to clean out the ship, with no restrictions on targets. Every air lock had been opened, every safety system deactivated, and life support had been shut down. It was, in short, an attempt to murder the ship using its own command systems. Only the grav control systems, part of the acceleration compensation system with massively redundant regulation and safety system, and the plasma reactors, a locally regulated system with multiple safety control redundancies, were exempted.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

Well, that had certainly sucked all the fun out into space. Along with a goodly number of the crew probably. Vir spared a moment to calculate the odds of some of them being embedded in nearby asteroids, then aborted his calculations.

He opened a vox channel to the command staff in general. This had repercussions they needed to know about. "Lord Ravion. The last set of orders logged on this system were designed to wreck indiscriminate destruction among the crew and possibly destroy the ship. Combat servitors ordered out with target priorities set to kill anything that moved, life support terminated, all safety systems disabled. Even the inertial controls have had their function impeded, albeit to a limited extent. I can only conclude that this was a calculated attack upon the ship's rank and file, to kill as many crew as possible. I would advise evaluating any system we power as a possible threat."
Summer camp, summer camp!/The donuts that they give you/they say are mighty fine/but one rolled off a table/and AHH FUCK WHY ARE THERE ZOMBIES IN THE CANOE CABIN
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

Their arrival on the bridge granted them more questions than immediate answers. He found no solace in the knowledge that they had arrived at the core of the vessel, if there were answers to be gained surely they would be found here. The corpses that they had passed on their way to the bridge were noted but he did not allow himself to dwell on their fate. Instead, he sought answers to who or what had ripped them so effectively into the abyss of death. The dead were not forthcoming with their answers.

His eyes slid around the bridge as he sought anything that stood out in his perception. His men settled around him as he hesitated uncertain as to how to best proceed. In his mind, he had prepared for over a dozen likely scenarios but this one did not neatly fit into any of them. He frowned for a moment, the muscles of his right arm complaining about the comforting weight of his heavy bolter. He ignored his body, keenly aware that the flesh would do as the mind commanded.

His eyes settled on Vir as he worked. He was making himself useful. If they all could be so fortunate. He took a step and then another, leaving Vir to his work and seeking out the station that was of most interest to him. Eventually, he settled on watching the control consoles which he believed were associated with the helmsman station of the ship. He had not been prepared to touch anything. Even with his knowledge of ancient systems, he would act only when he was certain that it was prudent to do so. It was with that thought in mind that Vir spoke about the fate of the ship's previous inhabitants.

What sort of attack would cause a captain to sacrifice invaluable men and experience in such a wide ranging and indiscriminate attempt to kill his men?
The Peddler of Half Truths.
"Not OP, therefore weakest." - Cynical Cat (May 2016)
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Steel who had remained quiet and alert until this point, keyed his vox, "mi'lord permission to check on the Navigators station?"
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Ravion frowned. He had seen some dark things in his time in the void, but this was certainly one of the more disturbing. The captain had gone mad and tried to kill the crew. Any number of things could have stopped this, but nothing had. "We'll need to find the servitor stations and restore proper commands. For now, can we get proper maps through the tenebro-maze?"

As Steel's transmission came through, Ravion nodded, "Good idea Steel. Let me know what you find."

"In the meantime, I suspect that we may find more clues in the Captain's Quarters. Vir, after you find us a way through the tenebro-maze, see if you can find detailed cargo manifests somewhere."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The throne computer did contain a map of the tenebro-maze, which was easily downloaded to data slates. There was no Navigator's station on the bridge, a not uncommon design consideration. Navigators frequently guided the ships from special chambers near the main bridge that could look directly upon the chaos of the warp, thus allowing the Navigator to use his or her abilities to their utmost without exposing the crew to the mind shattering horrors that the warp often revealed.
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

Having downloaded the map, Vir consulted it for a short while and then handed his dataslate to Ravion. "This particular accommodation looks to be the most likely." His tone lightened considerably as he continued. "However, I would suggest airing them out and replacing the bedclothes before you retire my Lord. They have been unoccupied for quite some time."

More seriously, he continued. "I'll check for the manifests, but they might have been stored on another system that the throne was to access remotely. Either way, I'll have an answer for you shortly."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Unfortunately, while the throne computer was powered, the systems that handled cargo were not.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

"Vir, is there a Navigators station on your map? The bridge appears to lack one."
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

Vir checked the throne system again and then pulled away from it. "Nothing in these archives. We need to more fully restore power before we can conduct a full investigation of the ship's records, too many systems to power them individually with these cells and I only have so many adepts on board. In any case, we have a team in a lighter bay, do we not? We might assume that their bay would be connected to cargo storage and that they could be ordered to make a visual inspection." He retrieved his data slate and added. "Just a thought."

"Ahh, Steel." Vir took a few steps closer, maybe a bit inside the other man's personal space, certainly closer than was normal to stand to such a well armed fellow. Then again he did have his dataslate with the map and was gesturing for the other man to look at it. "Yes, let's see here, Navigator's cell, observatorium or other such spaces..." He let his helmet shift to touch Steel's and closed the vox link. The vibrations of his voice would be conducted through the material of the helmet itself, an old but dependable method in times of crisis or secrecy. "Take the Lady navigator with you. It's her prerogative, her space. Best to avoid earning the displeasure of a woman who can kill you with a literal look. Oh, and this looks like a likely spot, hmm?" Vir pointed to a spot on the slate and then traced a path to the bridge and back. "Got that?"
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The likely spot in question was near the observation dome, an excellent place to observe the warp if one could take the stress of looking into madness itself. It wasn't the only interesting piece of data the Techpriest had dredged up. The command pathways of the ship were . . . illuminating.

Ascendancy
Resolute (+10 to Repair Tests)
Wrestled from A Space Hulk
Speed: 9
Maneuverbility: +23
Detection: +17
Hull Integrity: 39
Armour: 20
Turret Rating: 1
Space: 42
+10 to Navigation (Warp) Tests, when rolling on Warp encounter events, roll twice and Navigator chooses.
+3 Morale
+100 to Trade, Exploration, and Criminal Objectives
-1 to all noncombat Crew Casualties
+10 to Command checks to resist boarding
+5 to Ballistic Skill on ship Weapons
+10 to all Command and Social checks from the ship's bridge
Players choose critical hits dealt to ship.
Weapon Capacity: 1 Dorsal, 1 Prow or Dorsal
Dorsal Sunsear Laser Battery 6 4 Strength 4 1d10+2 Crit 4 Range 9
Dorsal Sunsear Laser Battery 6 4 Strength 4 1d10+2 Crit 4 Range 9
Essential Components
Modified Jovian Pattern Class 2 Drive +45 6
Strelov 1 Warp Engine 10 10
Ancient Life Sustainer 2 1
Warpbane Hull 1 0
Single Void Shield Array 5 1
Bridge of Antiquity 1 1
Auto-stabilized Logis-targeter 5 0
Voidsman Quarters 1 3
Supplemental Components
Cargo Hold and Lighter Bay 1 2
Tenebro-Maze 1 2
Trophy Room 1 1
Observation Dome 0 1
Power Used: 40
Space Used: 36
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Ravion gazed upon the new data that Vir had uncovered and smiled. "Most interesting, it appears that the Ascendancy is a most wondrous vessel. Now, for the moment, Vir, Atellus, Volran, Sergeant, and any others that wish to, come with me. Our first order of business is to make sure that these servitors do not awaken and kill any of our men. Everyone else, start searching vital areas nearby, report in at regular intervals, and once you've satisfied your curiosity, start to blaze a trail back to the lighter bay. Everyone get a map of tenebro-maze on your data slates and keep a wary eye out for any dangers. Vir, if there is any way to get this data to our people in the lighter bay, make it so and then catch up with me."
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

"As you command." Vir knew a number of ways to transfer the data-in a pinch he could translate much of it into techno-lingua or other auditory codes and transmit over a vox link. It would take time, but so long as they were still in contact with the crew in the lighter bay, it shouldn't be too hard.

"I think we might begin our investigations into the servitors right here however. After all, it would seem that one is available, and it might be prudent to deal with one in such a ...delicate position before the others." Vir's gesture encompassed much of the bridge's consoles and displays, hardly things deserving of the rush of bolter fire that an active servitor might trigger. "I can assess its condition and give you an estimate of how many of the servitors are likely to still be in functional order. It should not take long."
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

"Very well. Volran, please assist Vir, your knowledge of Medicae should aid in the assessment."
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Looking around the bridge with the others, Magnus said or did nothing yet, feeling his way around as he was. Momentarily satisfied that the immediate surrounds were more or less clear, he turned his sightless, though hidden eyes toward Ravion. "The immediate coast seems to be clear, Captain - I will continue monitoring."
Last edited by rhoenix on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

His eyes settled on Ravion as he watched the data that Vir had apparently uncovered with remarkable intensity. He took a step and then another moving aside enough to glance in the direction of the data and using the systems of the light powered armor that encased him to good effect. He focused on his predominant area of interest and blinked. Before he could ponder the full implications of how wondrous the vessel was Ravion spoke and his attention fully concentrated upon him. Ravion spoke sense, which was why he was in charge.

"Agreed." He said his voice remarkably clear as it was amplified by the suit around him. He took a step and then another coming closer to Ravion. It was clear he was not letting the Noble stray from his sight. The information from the tenebro-maze was noted and kept on his person. The exchange between Vir and Ravion was noted and it was true that the bridge should be thoroughly secured before they left on their expedition to secure what they could for the rest of the ship. Having information as to the numbers of potential problems would be valuable and thus he waited.

His men watched him wordlessly akin to a pack of wolves waiting for the Alpha to take the lead. In a situation such as this one, their value was diminished but once a task laid clearly before him, they would prove their value would quickly rise.
The Peddler of Half Truths.
"Not OP, therefore weakest." - Cynical Cat (May 2016)
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
Karrick
Initiate

Post by Karrick »

Valther took a moment to examine the data on the Ascendency, which he had procured from the Tech-Priest. She was indeed a fine ship, and would no doubt serve them well. Provided she didn't kill them first.

Ravion's command sparked a brief moment of hesitation in Valther. Ultimately, he decided his skills would best be put to use back in the tenebro maze, with his liege. He followed Ravion's party.
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

Nodding to Ravion, Vir immediately approached the inactive servitor. He did so with due caution, but was fairly confident that it had been inactive for long enough as to be no real threat. Certainly, one of the troops had checked it without suffering any harm. However, he was going to be doing something quite a bit more invasive, and likely to trigger any remaining combative effort.

Issuing it orders in this state was probably out of the question, but the first order of business would certainly be to determine how much action it might be capable of.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

"I'd like to take a body of troops and check the chapel. Perhaps there are clues there to what happen." Volran said.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Steel slaps Vir on the shoulder as an acknowledgement and thanks for his assistance. Turning to leave the bridge, he opens his vox once again and address the Lady Astropath.

"Lady Vor'cle, I go to assess the situation in the Astropath's station, do you wish to join me?"

Steel doesn't wait for a reply, she would join him, or not.
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

"I'm afraid we will have quite a bit of work to accomplish our objectives Lord Captain." Vir removed his hands from the servitor and retracted his mechadendrite fully. "It would seem that there is no central servicing or control facility for these servitors. I believe this was to prevent mutineers or other parties from seizing control of the entire system." He paused to think before continuing. "I cannot say for sure without a more detailed examination, but I think that exposure to the conditions of the void that have infiltrated the ship has rendered this one at least inoperable without the proper rites. What is needed to sooth their abandoned spirits is yet to be determined, but the neglect seems superficial enough. We should be able to physically remove this one from the bridge, and take it to a local maintenance shrine for further inspection, storage or to tend its needs. But without having inspections for each servitor individually, even if we can issue orders to them, I cannot guarantee they will receive them, let alone be able act on them."

Raising his hands in a placating gesture he pressed onwards. "I have no doubt we can gain control of them, we have the mechanism that directed them close at hand after all. But it will take time and effort to find them all, combing the ship for individual servitors and then restoring them to faithful service. If however, any remain that can respond to orders, they are likely the ones that represent a present risk to us and the crew. I suggest we use to throne's systems to try and issue a shutdown order to any that might be still active. We can proceed from there as appears most fit."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The servitor's systems were undamaged. It was, however, depleted of both power and nutrient fluid and in a state of hibernation shutdown.