Vampire: A City by the Sea

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lydia listened to Thorkell, her grey eyes steely as he recounted the battle. She did not move or acknowledge him when he gave her credit for the fight with the infantry, but when he paused without saying anything of Konstantin, she tensed.

As he went on, picking his words carefully to justify Konstantin's death, Florien could see her hands clench into fits and her face set in a deadly mask.

"A Funeral Befitting a WARRIOR?" Lydia exploded, stepping forward, her voice ringing. "Tell me, Warlord, how many of your Gangrel would you leave on the roadside to be found by Dawn's light, after you had ripped their head from their shoulders in your frenzy?" Her eyes were flashing with anger, giving Vannius just the explosion he'd expected when he taunted her. "You even slaughtered his -horse- afterwards," she spat. "And now, you offer WerGild for his Final Death? How much, then Warlord, is that warrior worth to you? One who could break your neck, who nearly took your head when you attacked him?"

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Thorkell snorted in derision at Lydia as she spoke. "Like the rest of your kind, you think fit to speak of what you did not see. I did slay Konstantin, your childish semantics as to how aside. But do not insult me by claiming that my idea of a funeral for a worthy warrior is to leave his corpse for the crows. He and his mount's remains were given to a funeral pyre, as my Einherjar, my huskarl, and Nicolo can attest." Thorkell shook his head. "The wergild however, is not for me to decide, it is for the prince to decide. In your backwards sentimentality, I am being punished."
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"Punished...? By a mere -fine-?" Lydia repeated, as what he said about a funeral pyre for horse and master sank into her brain. "So, punishment for killing is merely a payment of gold? Even in the halls of Byzantium, that would not be justice, merely a bribe. You insult the Prince and this Court with the mere offer!"
The government of Byzantium was massive, with many layers and rules and civil servants all seeming to make any furthering of goals impossible, although rumor said bribes and favors often got you further. In future ages 'byzantine' would become a description for any overly-complicated and intricate politics or situation.

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Though he did watch and listen to all the words carried in the night air from the lips of both Lydia and Thorkell, Aziz simply watched what happened for now, not showing any reaction outwardly.

Beneath his outward calm, Aziz watched the events unfold around him as if they were a firestorm, and he standing atop a lake - unmoving, and unmoved.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Thorkell growled and took a step forward. "You insult me child, and you insult my way of life. If I had my way I would-"

"That is enough." The voice was Maria's. "Lydia, you speak out of turn, and with little information about what you so desperately seem to want to insult. Just moments after he praised you no less. I was led to believe that our Orthodox brethren were better mannered than that."

The Lasombra ruler turned her attention then to Thorkell. "You saw fit to murder one of this city's defenders for mere insults levied against you? Apparently you need to be reminded that you are no longer in the frozen North, Thorkell. Your laws do not supersede mine. As you took from me I now take from you. Your station is reduced, you will now answer to Lord Alfred." Alfred seemed to beam at this, even as Thorkell did not try to disguise his disgust at the proposal. "Additionally," she smiled as she glanced from Thorkell to Lydia. "Lady Nikolakis will be assisting you and yours in learning proper court etiquette, as she is so knowledgeable."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

The fire in Lydia's eyes went out as fast as it had flared as Prince Maria spoke. There was truly nothing to say to Maria's quiet umbrage, although Lydia did note the Sheriff's joy that Thorkell would be answering to him now.

The Prince's next words had Lydia looking up in sharp surprise. Oh, now there is a subtle punishment for the both of us ran across Lydia's mind, before she bowed to Maria. "Yes, your Highness, as you will."

With a suitably chastised demeanor, Lydia retreated to the wall to stand beside Father Florien, thinking hard of how she might turn this little embarrassment around. To do less than her best, or to teach the Norse poorly was out of the question. Their mistakes would be weighed against her. No... she would have to teach these Norsemen properly, will they or nil they, or she would be the one seen 'at fault'.

And that put much of the weight of learning upon them, giving Thorkell the advantage. I have thrown myself into the fire quite well this time Lydia thought ruefully. Yet again, her passions had overcome her wits, and she wound up regretting it.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

As both Thorkell and Lydia retreated to lick their wounds Maria turned her attention to Alfred. "And how did your side of things go?"

Alfred smiled, but was interrupted by Pavel. "Swimmingly your lovely worshipfulness. Our eyes were open, our mouths were shut, and the enemy's spies have waltzed right in without realizing we know they're there."

Alfred coughed, glaring at Pavel. "There were two of them, they entered at about the time the battle was beginning. A decent diversion, but not good enough. My men tracked the enemy to their first hideouts and they are being watched carefully, but as the night has but a few hours remaining they are unlikely to move." He paused. "These spies seem to have a good deal of power however, we shall have to be careful."

Maria nodded, "Excellent. Very well done Alfred, Harold, Pavel. You have served both me and my city well on this night."

Alfred, still smiling as he glanced at Thorkell, now stepped off the platform and towards his fellow Ventrue. Pavel made his way around the room, taking an almost perverse pleasure in how conversations came to a dead stop whenever he came near. He was a childe of Ravnos, nearly universally despised, but like Porcelli, Pavel was an old ally of Maria's, and thus was allowed some leeway.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Interesting.

Watching the events unfolding within the room while remaining as motionless as a statue, Aziz was beginning to get a better idea of the political and power structure of this city by the sea. More interesting was the time he'd arrived had seemed to be perfect, arriving shortly before current events unfolded.

As always eternally grateful to how Allah allowed the universe to unfold, Aziz continued to listen and study, gaining a greater and deeper appreciation for the folk who inhabited it during the night.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
The Silence and I
Disciple

Post by The Silence and I »

As the prince passed her judgment Ottar's face darkened. This was not likely her intent but as far as he was concerned she had just punished him as well. Of course protesting this would only prove her right, and this did little to make him feel better about it.

If only the damn christ god had never taken away his home. Now the best he can do is associate with the few tattered dregs of his society that remain, and try to ignore the foreign culture surrounding him. It was nights like this one that were the worst--nights that reminded him he has changed, become less norse; nights that reminded him he had to associate with those he didn't really want to be around.

If he could have left this very moment he would have.
Sometime monkey fall from tree.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

LadyTevar wrote:The fire in Lydia's eyes went out as fast as it had flared as Prince Maria spoke. There was truly nothing to say to Maria's quiet umbrage, although Lydia did note the Sheriff's joy that Thorkell would be answering to him now.

The Prince's next words had Lydia looking up in sharp surprise. Oh, now there is a subtle punishment for the both of us ran across Lydia's mind, before she bowed to Maria. "Yes, your Highness, as you will."

With a suitably chastised demeanor, Lydia retreated to the wall to stand beside Father Florien, thinking hard of how she might turn this little embarrassment around. To do less than her best, or to teach the Norse poorly was out of the question. Their mistakes would be weighed against her. No... she would have to teach these Norsemen properly, will they or nil they, or she would be the one seen 'at fault'.

And that put much of the weight of learning upon them, giving Thorkell the advantage. I have thrown myself into the fire quite well this time Lydia thought ruefully. Yet again, her passions had overcome her wits, and she wound up regretting it.
'That could have gone better. But the Prince delt with that well.' Florien thought, and it seemed he had not given Thorkell enough credit.

He spoke to Lydia

"Look on the bright side, what was suspected was not the case. You may even be able to gain an ally from this if you can mend relations with Thorkell. And at least now we know why the others were missing. "
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"Yes indeed, good Father," Lydia answered ruefully. "However, I feel I have been as well-played as Thorkell himself." She watched as Pavel the Ravnos walked about, enjoying his infamy. "So... the attack was nothing, as Konstantin had said. It was all a distraction to insert spies. Milan sacrificed twenty-one ghouls, thralls, and Cainites, to place merely two within the city."
Last edited by LadyTevar on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

"Which means that their spies are probably very valuable. Powerful as Alfred said. They probably did not count on the Prince suspecting this course of action. Had we done as Konstantin suggested, we would have tipped our hand to Milan. Now as far as they know their ruse was successful, which gives us the advantage. They will go ahead with their plans, but watched by us"
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"It will be interesting to see how we will be feeding them information," Lydia agreed. "Perhaps a false turncoat?" It was no coincidence her grey eyes watched the Ravnos as she spoke low. None would think twice of a Ravnos turning .. and yet...

"But the obvious choice is sometimes too obvious," she added, her gaze going to Father Florien with a slight smile. "Either way, if we were meant to know, we would be told, yes?"

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Karaja glanced over to Aziz, speaking in Arabic. "I would like you to do something for me, Aziz. Go to the Roman and offer your assistance to her at my behest." The Arab smiled slightly. "She will not refuse the offer. Keep a close eye on her."
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Turning slightly to the side as Karaja began to speak, Aziz' reaction was to raise an eyebrow at the suggestion. A small smile played about the corner of his mouth before he answered, also in Arabic. "I hear, Karaja. I shall do this deed, with my thanks."

Turning to Karaja fully, Aziz bowed slightly with his right hand covering his left fist before walking directly over to the Roman - Lydia, and Father Florien. Looking to them both, he bowed slightly before speaking to them both in slightly Arabic-accented Italian. "Pardon the interruption. Lady Lydia, I have been asked by Karaja to offer my assistance to you, in deeds of the blade and otherwise. What say you?"

His mannerisms were self-assured and stature-still, as always, his eyes staring at hers steadily.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Lydia had noticed the dark-skinned Cainite crossing to them, and thus had silently raised a finger to warn Florien. Yet she was still obviously surprised by Aziz' calm statement. Her grey eyes widened and threw a startled glance over to Karaja, before the young woman could control her reaction. But when she spoke to the Assamite, her voice at least was under control.

"Greetings again, Aziz al bin Temjin," she replied in Italian, her fingers brushing lightly over her heart, lips and forehead as she bowed politely. Her mind, however, was racing. She owed Karaja a favor, for he was the one who had aided her, got her into Genoa. Why would he send Aziz to her? "I am honored, yet puzzled why I deserve such an honor."
Last edited by LadyTevar on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Aziz didn't reply instantly - Lydia's proper usage of his Arabic name had made him mildly impressed. He did reply momentarily, looking somewhat curious. "I do not know his reasons - what I do know is that he asked me to be the agent of such. And perhaps," he said, looking at Lydia with his head tilted slightly to the side, as if thinking carefully. "...perhaps it was meant to be of mutual benefit to us both."

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Aziz was not told why, yet Lydia did not look to Karaja Pasha again. In her own time she would corner him and see if he would give a reason, but for now, Lydia could only accept this ... gift. Perhaps also, Karaja was making sure his little investment in her did not vanish at the claws of an angry Gangrel.

"I have been in the city for some time," Lydia temporized. "Perhaps he hopes I would be willing to show you the customs of the Court as well?" It was a light joke on the duty she'd been handed as punishment -- to teach the Gangrel 'proper manners'.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

A small smile played about the corners of Aziz' mouth. "Perhaps that would be one of his hopes, indeed. I would be one of the first to admit that I am no courtesan or diplomat."

- William Gibson

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Father Florien said something to Lydia in Latin, very quickly

[latin]"The most obvious reason is that he seeks information. Given your recently obtained 'position' Karaja would be in a good position to gain valuable information from this arrangement"[/latin]
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"Now Father, please," Lydia said childingly to Florien. "It is rude to speak a language one does not know to their face." She said nothing more about Florien's suggestion, allowing him to think such, as it partly hid the truth of her own debt to Karaja Pasha.

"Aziz al bin Temjin, I would be honored for you to ... assist .. me, as your clan mate desires." Truly, she had no other option.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Official Court business was beginning to wind down, several vampires had gone over to Alfred, congratulating him upon his success tonight, fewer tried to speak with Thorkell. Daylight was perhaps a few hours away now, and several vampires took their leave now. The leper was gone, as were the Tremere. Nicolo stayed apart from everyone, mostly keeping his eyes upon Alfred and Lydia, but making no other movements. The Bishop, Paolo, left as well.

All was going along as normally when an inhuman scream suddenly filled the air

There was a pause for a few seconds as everyone soaked in the surprise before Demosthenes jumped to his feet yelling harshly.

"The Bat comes! He steps through the deep and prepares for his never-ending foe! Beware the Levant and its deep pits of bones!"

Demosthenes looked like he was going to go on, then paused, looking sharply upwards. "Away! Away I say! Do not threaten those that know not life nor death! The Abyss waits for no man! What is he doing?!"

The ancient creature then ran, far too spry for something that looked that old, out of the room.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"Were it any but our Seer and Malkavian, I would call that strange," Lydia said, frowning as the Malkavian vanished.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Making a bow in return, Aziz al bin Temjin smiled. Now, things began to be more interesting.

- William Gibson

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

LadyTevar wrote:"Were it any but our Seer and Malkavian, I would call that strange," Lydia said, frowning as the Malkavian vanished.
"It is probably not strange, but also probably not good"
- Theodosius Dobzhansky