Knights of the Old Republic Game

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1 Knights of the Old Republic Game

Post by Cynical Cat »

The Republic has been beaten and battered by a succession of enemies: the Mandalorians, Darth Revan and Darth Bane's Sith invasion, the Jedi Civil War and the Sith Triumverate. Worlds have burned, whole fleets perished, and countless lives have been lost. With the Exile's departure, the Jedi Order and the Republic finally have a chance to begin picking up the pieces and rebuilding peace and order in the galaxy.

They might not get the chance.

The Jedi hover at the edge of extinction and the Republic at the edge of bankruptcy. Defences are weak and spread thin and the Jedi are so very, very few and there are so many rich prizes to be taken. Hungry eyes, inside and outside the Republic, watch. Old enemies and new ones put plans into motion.

Now, more than ever, the galaxy needs heroes.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

*squeeeeeeee*

You already know what I will be doing with this...
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Well, holy shit. I just might get the chance to make the character I always wanted to write about.

Consider me intrigued, and looking for further detail.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Okay here's some ground rules.

1. You can play Force users and non-Force users. Force users start around the trained neophyte level in whatever tradition they are from. They start with minimal gear. Non-Force users are at the skilled professional level and lots of gear.

2. You can play evil. And frigid magi can shoot you in the face. That's a hint.

3. Aliens. It's a big galaxy. Post a link if you intend to play anything that wouldn't be immediately recognizable to a casual viewer of Star Wars. If in doubt, post a link. This is for the other players as well as the GM.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

If I play... I want Corellian pilot, with a good cargo ship and a legal trader/hauler's permit. I am not going to be cliche and say the YT, although baseline it's a good ship and a common one, that needs only 2-4 crew to manage. I'd love a Nabooian ship, just because they look sleek. I'm assuming only HRM's ship is that lovely silver, however.

Yes, I wanna be the pilot for you Jedi, because someone has to be the Non-Jedi. :razz:

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Just throwing this out there because this topic reminded me of this feature in the games...

Jedi and armor. Will you be going along with this same thing for the sake of some balance or will you be throwing it out?
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Name: Asarak Set
Race: Hortek
Height: 1.9 meters
Weight: 80 kilos
Eyes:Green
Skin:Yellow with black stripes
Languages Fluent: Basic, Dosh, Bocce.
Languages partially understood: Binary.

Force Skills
Relatively More skilled: Prescience, Far Sight,telekinesis and shielding, mental effects
Relatively Less Skilled:Force Jump, Force Speed, force-power redirection
Not Learned:Slowing opponents, stunning droids, dark side effects such as lightning choke and drain, healing.

He is extremely mentally disciplined for one as young as he, having learned how to use the force for knowledge, defense, and to manipulate his surroundings. He is particularly good at using the force to enhance his own telepathic abilities. However he did not have time to master other arts, even some that other Jedi would consider basic, such as using the force to augment jumps and speed. While he is proficient at these things for most tasks, he is certainly not the equal of others his age, and has some catching up to do. Going into hiding will do that to a person.

Lightsaber Forms
Primary: Form II
Secondary: Form III
Tertiary: Form VI

Asarak mastered the dueling form first in his training. Partially because his particular talents lend themselves more easily to it. Partially because of the Mandalorian wars, and the potential for the fall of many jedi and the rise of the Sith. He then found it necessary to master the Soresu form during his time in the war, when fighting more aggressive opponents and needing to deflect considerable blaster fire. He has begun to incorporate elements of other forms into his technique which effectively trains him in the Niman form as well.

Non-Combat Skills
A good knowledge of philosophy and psychology
Decent ability to use computers, pilot ships, and run weapons systems
An odd skill at interrogation. Also has the usual skills for someone with a good education. Math, the Sciences, History etc.

Personal History

Asarak was taken by slavers as a hatchling, his parents killed in the process. Fortunately his sale was interrupted by a republic anti-slavery operation, and he was taken in as a ward of the state. It was his Kel Dor foster parents who helped nurture his natural telepathic abilities. However, they became concerned when at the age of 4 he demonstrated prescience and the ability to actively block out their probes if he was trying to hide something. As a result they submitted a blood sample for Midichlorian count as a test of force sensitivity. The results came back very strong, and not long after that he was taken by the Republic and placed under the care of the Jedi Order. This was jshortly before the Mandalorian Wars. His master obeyed the order to not get involved in the war, and thus did not turn and join Revan and Malak. However the Jedi Civil War was another matter and his master, the Twi Lek Doru Kard fought and died in that conflict.

After his master's death, and with the Jedi becoming more and more rare, he was not yet strong enough to actually face the sith in combat. As a result, he was held back in the rear echelon using his talents to interrogate prisoners of war for information and plan operations.

It was here he met a SIth POW named Melek Ven(Rhoenix's character), another of his species. He had been wounded and left to die by his comrades. A scan of his mind while he was doped up on Sodium Pentathol (primitive, but effective) revealed that the young Hortek was full of inner conflict. A predatory nature, rash and lacking in foresight, but also a glimmer of light. There was still good in him.

By this time Asarak knew he was one of the last remaining Jedi. In order for the order to survive, even he, a mere Padawan with no master, would have to take a student. He knew he would not be able to completely turn him. However there might be some utility in helping a sith to find inner peace. So he went to work. He did not reveal at first that he was a Jedi. But he did apply his mental abilities to gently scan the surface thoughts of his captive, making sure he was plyable, and not reading his own intent too closely. Using the socratic method, he started instructing his captive in ethics, philosophy, and how to find strength in peace, rather than become lost in his passions.

For all his superiors could tell, he was working over and causing a prisoner to defect. They did not know he was teaching the prisoner how to use the light side of the force. This went on for weeks, and Asarak was making progress. Then the alarm Klaxons started to blare.

They had received intel that the Sith had broken through the battle lines in their sector and several warships were en route to annihilate the base. As the SIth fleet pounded the base's theater shield, Asarak took action. he took his lightsaber, and broke his prisoner out of his cell, and stole a shuttle, fleeing the planet just as the shields dropped and the planetary crust that used to be the republic base was rendured to molten slag.

From there, he and Melek went into hiding from the Sith and the Exchange bounty on Jedi. The two became a very odd sort of friends, until such a time as the order was reinstated and Asarak rejoined it and restarted his own training where he left off.

Personality

A bit of a black sheep among the jedi order, Asarak is a contemplative, level-headed pragmatist. He does his best to embody the code, but his interpretation of the code is considered by some to be more than a bit unorthodox, which gives his master all manner of headaches. (more on this as I refine it)

Gear:
Lightsabers
Primary hand: Amber blade, curved hilt
Second hand: Violet blade, curved hilt (was his masters)

Other gear: magnetic grapple with mono filament cord attachable to belt harness, portable breather.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Basic Bio:
Name: Melek Ven
Species: Hortek
Languages (Fluent): Galactic Basic, Hortek, Hutt, Wookiee
Height: 1.98 meters tall
Weight: 60 kg
Eyes: Grey

Hortek Physiology:
Horteks are one of the few sapient predatory species in the galaxy, though relatively recently compared to some other species in the galaxy. However, they have taken an avid interest in learning, and have become on par with others.

They have senses of touch (on their hands and feet, which have much thinner bony plates, but not on the rest of their body) and hearing are equivalent to that of a human's, though their senses of smell and sight are quite a bit better - particularly their low-light vision.

They are bipedal, with four fingers and a thumb on each hand - they can be born left or right handed, and sometimes ambidextrous.

Moreover, they are all somewhat telepathic, though this is in the regard of knowing their prey's next move before their prey can act.

Melek's subspecies primarily hunted the plains and deserts of the Southeast continent, which were typically nocturnal hunters. However, Melek's subspecies only differ from others in habits and coloration. His in particular are varying cloud-like dark grey mainly, with iridescent bluish green stripes.

Force Skills:
Though his abilities as a Force User developed from being a Sith, being left for dead, and subsequently rescued, his personality is changing as time goes on - and along with his outlook on life, so too will his abilities with the Force change.

It perhaps was for the best that he began learning to use the Dark Side, as though he'll never be free from it's grip, familiarity with it has given him great caution in using it, as he knows where it leads now. The real question is how much longer he'll choose to draw upon it.

Dark: Force Slow
Neutral: Comprehend Speech, Force Comprehension, Force Deflection, Force Flash, Telekinesis (Force Pull, Force Push)
Light: Precognition

Lightsaber Forms & Combat
As a Sith, Melek focused on the Sith variant of Lightsaber style 5, displaying notable techniques and skill of both Shien and Djem So to an exceptional degree.

However, he currently lacks a lightsaber, as his original was broken on the grounds on that fateful world where he lost his way as a Sith. Consequently, he has familiarized himself with guns and blasters while he slowly and carefully works on a new one.

Non-Combat Skills:
Skilled: Stealth, Tactics, Mechanics
Proficient: Navigation, Survival, Intimidation

Personal History:
Melek Ven was trained since he was very young to be a warrior, in the hopes of continuing his particular family's long-held tradition of being warriors. He quickly proved equal to the task, proving exceptionally adept at the use of telepathy to predict, counter, and plan for the actions of his prey. After his second year following his achievement of being a true Warrior, a passing Sith ship decided to stop, after having felt his presence.

Appealing to his warrior's love of a good fight, as well as the promise to help him become the ultimate predator he could be, he agreed to join them. When the brutal realities of Sith training soon showed themselves, he rose to the task and redoubled his efforts to become better, become stronger. He swiftly gained in power as a result, even to the point of being chosen to go on a small infiltration mission following several successful outings.

It was during this mission that he was struck by a lucky shot that he couldn't parry in time, and was therefore left for dead by his former compatriots. This made him truly face his own mortality, and he learned to look at it without fear. It also began to make him question what it was he'd been devoting himself to.

His capture a day later by Asarak Set's interrogation unit proved to be an unlikely savior, he thought later. The torture he underwent proved to be more a reminder of his Sith training than an effective tool of extracting information; nonetheless, it led eventually to his unlikely apprenticeship to Asarak, giving himself a cause to devote his passion and attention toward.

The small seed of doubt planted by being left behind eventually blossomed into a true understanding of inner peace. Though he has not abandoned the use of passion, he now views the power derived from passion to be a fuel, which must then be properly channeled to use as it should be.

He currently is reconciling his Sith and the new Jedi beliefs he's come to balance. His passion is still evident, but is now much more a focused laser when used than a flashlight in the dark.

Melek Ven realizes that he walks now a path of his own, and he feels as if he doesn't have a place with the Sith or the Jedi. Instead, he has recently devoted himself to exploring his own potential.

Personality:
Originally quick-tempered, somewhat sadistic, and methodically destructive, Melek Ven's personality has changed greatly over the past few years with Asarak Set.

He now is contemplative, patient, cautious, and thougtful. Though he has no hesitation when it comes to a fight, he no longer will even try to start or finish one unless he doesn't see another choice. He very much has been unsettled by his experience, and is still trying to find his proper place within himself, as well as within the galaxy at large.

(version 0.01 - begin)
(version 0.5 - Updated languages, edited Force ability blurb)
(version 0.6 - updated format & content)
Last edited by rhoenix on Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

Existing ruleset? Any advice on Force Adepts, particularly those of us interested in the more obscure wierd crap?
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Yeah.... Nit and I might be the Token Humans here....

I had thought of using one of the other Corellian races, but decided against it.

I do want this for my ship :lol:

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:Yeah.... Nit and I might be the Token Humans here....

I had thought of using one of the other Corellian races, but decided against it.

I do want this for my ship :lol:
That's pretty hot.

This character has been brewing in my head for a long time, and I want to give him the chance to come out and play.

- William Gibson

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

SirNitram wrote:Existing ruleset? Any advice on Force Adepts, particularly those of us interested in the more obscure wierd crap?
I might roll dice to decide certain outcomes. That's as far as game mechanics go.

I'm assuming the Jedi Armor question is related to KOTOR game mechanics. Darth Vader, Kenobi, and a fuckload of Dark Jedi wear armor and use Force Powers just fine.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

rhoenix: What part of "neophyte" do you have problems with? You're proficient in a fuck load of abilities, including multiple attack and augmenting abilities. And you're a death machine with a lightsaber and you have a bunch of other skills on top of that. No.

Dial it way the fuck down and then cut it in half.

Tortoise: You're good.

Lady T: Good so far.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Cynical Cat wrote:I'm assuming the Jedi Armor question is related to KOTOR game mechanics. Darth Vader, Kenobi, and a fuckload of Dark Jedi wear armor and use Force Powers just fine.
Yeah. If you use game mechanics it does sort of fuck with game balance "Oh hi, I have magic powers, a sword that can cut through anything, and I wear armor." But since it doesn't look like you are using game mechanics to any significant extent I doubt it would be a problem.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Charon wrote:
Cynical Cat wrote:I'm assuming the Jedi Armor question is related to KOTOR game mechanics. Darth Vader, Kenobi, and a fuckload of Dark Jedi wear armor and use Force Powers just fine.
Yeah. If you use game mechanics it does sort of fuck with game balance "Oh hi, I have magic powers, a sword that can cut through anything, and I wear armor." But since it doesn't look like you are using game mechanics to any significant extent I doubt it would be a problem.
The game mechanics for the RPG allow armor and KOTOR has special Jedi friendly armor on top of that.

Game balance will be provided by Force users being semi-trained apprentices with little gear and non-Force users being badass at whatever they do and having more toys.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Cynical Cat wrote:rhoenix: What part of "neophyte" do you have problems with? You're proficient in a fuck load of abilities, including multiple attack and augmenting abilities. And you're a death machine with a lightsaber and you have a bunch of other skills on top of that. No.
Ok. About half the Force abilities are gone, and he now currently lacks a lightsaber, due to his little incident. How does that look?

- William Gibson

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

SirNitram wrote: Any advice on Force Adepts, particularly those of us interested in the more obscure wierd crap?
The GM is totally friendly to that and was expecting at least one person to go that route.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

rhoenix you're a go. Expect to be shot in the back of the head at a distance one kilometer as soon as frigid enters the game and knows your Sith. :wink:
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

...And people wonder why he has Precognition...

- William Gibson

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

rhoenix wrote:...And people wonder why he has Precognition...
Yeah, there's no way you could ambush Jedi Masters with that skill, even with an army of clone shock trooopers-hey wait a minute . . .
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Cool. Melek's never wearing a helmet, then.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Nit says he will come up with something Unique and pitch it soon.

Me... what can you say about a Corellian pilot? Smart, wiseass, good at diplomacy and negotiation since she'll need to get through customs and sell her cargo at a profit.

Being Corellian, she's a better pilot than most and knows it, she can fight her way out of a scrape if needed, although she'd rather talk or charm her way out.

She's neutral about Jedi... I've not decided if one of her family (cousins?) joined the Corellian Jedi. Probably at least one relative in CorSec, although that might not always help her. She's yet to do anything to deserve a BloodStripe (of either color).

Trysandrena "Trys" Il Mada. That's a good name, isn't it?

She might have a droid to help pilot the "Selonia Sunrise", her Dynamic-class Freighter. While Dynamics can be ran by 1 crew/captain, it works better with two pilots (and two gunners optionally). 4-6 passengers, depending on how many crewmembers are aboard.

Feedback from GM or players?

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Sounds good to me, actually.

Also, Cyncat, I'm going to be playing Melek as beginning his climb into the Light, one philosophical bit at a time, one event at a time.

- William Gibson

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I was kinda on the fence at first but... You know... It is a Cyanical game and he is letting me shot people in the face if I can pull it off...

I'm thinking Wookie. Any thoughts?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

frigidmagi wrote:I was kinda on the fence at first but... You know... It is a Cyanical game and he is letting me shot people in the face if I can pull it off...

I'm thinking Wookie. Any thoughts?
RRRAAAAWWRRRR!
- Theodosius Dobzhansky