His Majesty's Dragons

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

Post by Avian Obscurities »

yeah i agree. If they had penicillin by then, id figure theyd figure out transfusions.
I accidentally all the Brujah.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Blood transfusions have been around since the late 19th century. Blood typing had been done since the interwar period. I'm assuming here that the same would hold true of dragons.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Charon wrote:Well, I don't trust Wikipedia entirely, but personally I'm fairly certain they did by WWII and I'm also pretty sure they had blood type on the dog tags by then. Which would also give the impression that yes they did.
You've all forgotten Pearl Harbour -- where they needed so much blood they ran out of bottles to put the donated blood in and were using sterlizied coke bottles and mason jars.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

o-O
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"... the Stukas will come to them..."

I got a shiver reading that, Havoc. I know it's true, since the black monsters will be wanting a piece of Frostfell for hurting them, and Tottenkoph wants Jeb and Judith. But it still gave me chills to see that we're now Bait.

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

. . . hopefully we get some recoup time before being sent out in the thick of things.

Cause otherwise, Hermeticus is going in without a crew or captain, and is gonna be hitting Stuka's exclusively.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

DS, I ironically addressed that in the second half of my post, which I TRIED to put up last night, but the boards failed me. I shall do so now.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

I'm sorry guys, I was 80% through with my GM's post, five or six pages worth of material, including pictures, and my work computer not only crashed but reverted to a hard drive state of two days ago. I lost everything. I can't physically stand to recreate it all tonight.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

*hugs*
It's ok, Havoc. Vista is Evil.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok... which dragon gets to shove the torpedo up Bismark's tail?

Considering the size of torpedos, it'd have to be one of the larger ones. I volunteer Hermeticus or Flinder. They've not got medals yet! :twisted:

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Yeah. This is gonna be tricky. Very very tricky...
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Hermeticus does have a medal, unless it's been recinded in one of the previous posts.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Hermecritus got the Star of Ascalon, same as Jebediah.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

:oops: Sorry Hermeticus!

Then it's just Flinder.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Jake and Kunja will be making a new "friend".
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

You are all of course invited to make whatever suggestions, demands, and alterations you see fit to this plan. It's merely a sketch.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

So... I know that a landing dragon wouldn't need a drag-line or net to catch them (unless they were REALLY hurt), but would the Ark Royale have an assist for takeoff? I think it's called a Slingshot?

See, in another fantasy that has dragon-air power, they rig up a cable hooked to a wooden tow-block. Dragon gets on towblock, cable gets up to speed, dragon is slung out over the bow into the air for the first wing-beat.

Of course.. the dragons in that book were probably just large lightweights....

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

While the Ark Royal has quite a few amenities for dragons, takeoff assistance is not among them. Dragons can lift off, if not vertically, then at least from a dead standstill, and there is thus no need for catapults or slingshots to propel them off of the ship's deck. Dragon carriers are flat topped not because they need runway space, but because it permits them to deploy large numbers of dragons on deck, ready to be armed, crewed, and launched at once.

Besides, a machine large enough to spring-launch a Heavyweight dragon would take up much of the deck.

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Excerpt from Jane's Fighting Dragons of the World, 1938 Edition:

Lord of the Deep

There is perhaps no breed of dragon on Earth surrounded by more folklore and less fact than the aptly-named Lord of the Deep. All dragon breeds have salient characteristics, but the aquatic environment and adaptations that the Lord of the Deep has undergone in adjusting to it make them among the most alien and downright strange dragons known to exist.

Lords of the Deep are tremendous beasts, whose full size cannot be stated with any certainty. By all standards they are super-heavyweight class, possibly even larger than the infamous Congolese Nightmare, colored varying degrees of gray, blue, or even sea green, depending on their home waters. Wholly aquatic, Lords of the Deep are nevertheless air-breathing creatures, whose lung capacity is such that they can remain underwater for hours at a time. Their bodies are elastic and fibrous, capable of sustaining horrific batterings and crushing water pressure, and despite their bulk, they are incredibly fast and agile swimmers. On land and in the air, their speed decreases significantly, for their wings are semi-vestigial and unable to support their weight for long, but their sheer size will deter most beings, including most other dragons, from attempting to threaten them. Both males and females are marsupial, and incubate their eggs with their own body heat, though some theorize that they also employ underwater volcanos and geologic vents for the same purposes.

Lurid tales of Scylla and Charybdis notwithstanding, Lords of the Deep tend to have little interaction with humans and their ships or submersibles. Sightings are rare and fleeting, and while the dragons are fully as intelligent as their terrestrial counterparts, their isolation and inaccessible habitat means that they are wholly unable to communicate in any human or even feral draconic language. Instead they employ a strange underwater system of vocalizations, similar to those of great whales, whose tones are diverse and intricate, but which have never been translated. The dragons occasionally have been known to attack ships, either when desperate for food, angry at some inconvenience such as fishing nets or whaler's harpoons, or once in a while for wholly mysterious reasons. Contrary to legend however, they do not make a habit of preying on ships, and indeed part of their diet consists of Sea Serpents, whose predatory attacks on mariners are often ironically blamed on the Lords of the Deep.

Though there are numerous myths and legends surrounding the possibility, only two Lords of the Deep are known to have ever been harnessed by men, one by the Ming Dynasty admiral Zheng He, and one by John Flowerdewe, originally a boy laborer from Yorkshire (better known today as the 1st Viscount Flowerdewe of Westerdale). Though Flowerdewe never attested as to how he located his egg, Chinese sources record that theirs was discovered washed up on shore by a fisherman and rushed to the local government arsenal, and it is assumed the English case was similar. Lords of the Deep lay more eggs than they can reliably incubate, and select the most viable among them to nurture, abandoning the rest to their fate. It is therefore theorized that both the Chinese and English eggs were still-viable castoffs that happened to float ashore and intact in a sufficiently civilized area to be identified and rescued, against odds scarcely credible. The resulting dragons, super-heavyweight class beasts in eras when light-midweights were the largest product of civil breeding programs, both singlehandedly presided over ages of national maritime and military dominance. Lung Hai Shangdi ("Dragon-Emperor of the Sea") brought Chinese exploration and military expansion to its maximum extent, while Flagellum Dei ("Scourge of God") won glory and fame at Sluys, Agincourt, and the Armada, to say nothing of his immortalization in Shakespeare's Henry V.

Entire books have been written on the mythology and lore surrounding Lords of the Deep, but among the most persistent tales are those concerning cases of kidnapping, and more specifically, of child-theft. Almost every mythological source concerning Lords of the Deep attribute the dragons with a propensity to snatch wayward swimmers or beachdwellers, usually children, none of whom are ever seen again (and whose fates are by turns grisly or fantastical, depending on the legend in question). Indeed, many island and seafaring cultures axiomatically attribute nearly every missing person's case, particularly those concerning children, to the actions of Lords of the Deep. While it is hardly uncommon for dragons of any stripe to be blamed for all manner of misfortune and catastrophe, the pervasive and seemingly world-wide nature of this legend has led some draconic scholars to suggest that there may be some element of truth buried within the mythology in question. Most however point to the facts that no direct evidence for any such tendency has ever been identified, that (baring cases of absolute desperation) Lords of the Deep do not tend to prey on humans even when the opportunity affords, and that neither of the two historically known Lords of the Deep ever exhibited any behavior even remotely similar to such a charge. In consequence, as with so many other mysteries concerning these elusive aquatic beasts, the paucity of available evidence prevents us from stating any definitive answers.
Last edited by General Havoc on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Am I not adorable? Rub my belly!
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

I have a post to make but I need to confirm a lot of things with Havoc.

Dammit, where are you? >:|
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Cynical Cat wrote:Am I not adorable? Rub my belly!
Nitram has a saying bout how the cats flop on their belly like that. "It's all Sharp & Pointy!"

And AO LIVES! I'd missed you!
Last edited by LadyTevar on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

Hahaha, aww I'm sorry XD I was moving and starting a job and then moving again and settling in and there wasn't much going on anyway, but yes! I can now get back into the swing of things :)
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

A tapered oval, 4ft by 3ft.

A tapered Oval, that explains why they're all upset, and why one is going down below decks.

fuck. they're looking for an egg.

Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

Havoc, fyi Flinder is in the air, not on deck.