Phoenix War III OOC / signup

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Post by Destructionator XV »

The in game thread is now in session.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Dartzap
Keeper of the Beer

Post by Dartzap »

Quick Note, That was written quite late, so if there are major spelling errors, I really don't give a frag :razz:
"Why hello! Could I intrest you in some giant bonsai trees?"

DesertFly
Water Soluble

Post by DesertFly »

Are any representatives on the DSIII yet? And if so can the details of such things as the security on approach to the station and once ships are docked be fleshed out a little? I don't have too much more setup before my ambassador is going to make it to the station.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

DesertFly wrote:Are any representatives on the DSIII yet? And if so can the details of such things as the security on approach to the station and once ships are docked be fleshed out a little? I don't have too much more setup before my ambassador is going to make it to the station.
Well, the DS3 security protocol is not as tight as the Death Star 2 in The Empire Strikes Back, since DS3 is an open station like Babylon Five. So the protocol is like in the B5 station, I guess.

Unfortunately, I'm not too well-versed in docking security protocol. The only thing I can think of is "unknown vessel, please identify yourself and your purpose", since nobody had ever seen a Zerg before in this STGOD. Probably someone can help?

Anyway, I was quite surprised to notice that your first approach is sending a diplomat instead of the swarm, although I actually find it intriguing. Hey, maybe this STGOD will be more interesting than I thought.

And of course, I imagine the diplomat will be humanoid to some degree (like Kerrigan), and I assume that the diplomat would be quite secretive about his race. So when the Zerg swarm made their first attack, nobody would have ever thought that they are actually the Zerg represented by the diplomat.

Anyway, Dartzap (as Lord Detritus) were exploring a planet, probably they would be attacked by some Hydralisk?
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Of course, the Galactic Empire doesn't play much of a role in it yet, since we're nice and isolationist at this time.

Any attempt to breach our borders without prior clearence will result in a nice turbolaser blast up your tailpipe.....

or at least being tracked by the AEGIS array....

Please direct all inquiries, unless you have prior authority (Ra is a example of this) towards Darth Kreshna, who will be relayed your clearence, or lack thereof.
Last edited by Dark Silver on Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

KAN wrote:OOC: I asume the human allies are from the Empire, right? I guess the Empire is actually the only human nation among the others. The Goa'ulds aren't human despite the fact they take human host, while the A'millans are, well, A'millans.
A'millian nowadays is not a species name, but just the country name, like Americans or Canadians.

There was a species known as A'millians, but they were all but wiped out about 1,000 years ago, leaving less than 10 survivors. There are still five of these survivors left, and they carry various levels of importance, but there are indeed only five. These five are the Lord and Lady, whom of course you know, Professor Mathias, chair of the magic academy on A'millian Prime, and also getting quite old, one is a former knight who disagreed with the A'millian form of government and left for a republic and is now their president - you will not be seeing him in the Phoenix War though he might be mentioned as the border between the Empire and that Republic requires many ships to keep secure, and the last survivor is a princess from the former A'millian kingdom who decided to not deal with reality and live out the rest of her natural life on a backwater planet as a commoner human, cutting all ties from the ASE. She will obviously not be seen either.

So yeah, three left who are relevant to this story, one of whom is on his death bed.

The rest of the A'millian population is a combination of various species, kinda like Star Trek's Federation. Most are human, and then you have various other species in minorities. About 75% of A'millians are indeed human.
Adam D. Ruppe
Ra
Master

Post by Ra »

Prior clearance?! Since when can't damned GE citizens (Madar is from the Empire, not the Goa'uld, she's actually a hireling in Ra's private company of all things) enter their own country? The Empire is starting to sound like Soviet Russia to me. Even during the darkest days of Palps' regime they still allowed civvies and legit trade to roam free in the galaxy.

All I'm saying is that the Imps won't automatically know what Madar is doing, just that she's going to Coruscant. How many people visit 'Scantie every day? Ra and Madar would have never left Correllia in the first place (where Ra's business is headquartered) if they had never been allowed to return. :???:
Jonathan McKenzie
Half-Insane Snakehead | MSPaint Acolyte | Wierd TGOD'er

"Every time you stay abstinent...Kitten kills a god."
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Dark Silver wrote:Please direct all inquiries, unless you have prior authority (Ra is a example of this) towards Darth Kreshna, who will be relayed your clearence, or lack thereof.
Yup. And by the way, Jon, since Ra is a businessman, remember to bring a hefty amount of *bribe* when visiting Darth Kreshna. :twisted: Nah, just kidding. :razz:

Anyway, Allen, just to confirm: just like in real life, civilians from other nations (Goa'ulds, A'millans, etc), can still visit the Empire, can't them? Of course the Empire is isolationist and diplomatically hostile towards other nations, but foreign people can still commute back and forth, can't they? I'm thinking about real world: the United States is diplomatically hostile towards Iran, but Iranian civilians (tourists, businessmen, etc) can still visit the US, can't they?

Ra wrote:Prior clearance?! Since when can't damned GE citizens (Madar is from the Empire, not the Goa'uld, she's actually a hireling in Ra's private company of all things) enter their own country? The Empire is starting to sound like Soviet Russia to me. Even during the darkest days of Palps' regime they still allowed civvies and legit trade to roam free in the galaxy.

All I'm saying is that the Imps won't automatically know what Madar is doing, just that she's going to Coruscant. How many people visit 'Scantie every day? Ra and Madar would have never left Correllia in the first place (where Ra's business is headquartered) if they had never been allowed to return. :???:
Well I'm not sure, but it seems to me Allen was talking about military ships and fleets instead of individuals. So other nation's fleet cannot enter Imperial territory, but individual people can still apply visa to visit the Empire (just like in the real world). Am I correct, Allen?

Just a note: during the first Empire/Guardian War, military fleets of other nations were still allowed to enter Imperial terrirory because they were the Empire's military allies. For example, during the Guardian's assault on Coruscant, a lone Borg Sphere was hovering around to rescue Darth Kreshna from the assaulting Guardians. And it seemed to me that those allied ships also went to Imperial territory (off-screen) to fight the Guardians, because they were allies. However, now the Empire is taking isolationist policy, such thing is not allowed anymore. It seems to me this is what Allen actually means, but am I correct?

However, if it is really the policy, then I guess such problem can be part of the game. So Ra went to Darth Kreshna and said, "I am no longer able to enter your country! What the hell is going on?" And then Darth Kreshna gets more headache trying to resolve the problem. And mind you, if the citizens of A'millans, Goa'ulds, Trollish etc are all denied visa to enter the Empire, then those countries will really turn hostile to the Empire.

However, if we're really going to play that way, then it'll be really hard to suspend disbelief; I always imagine the Galactic Empire as an advanced industrial nation like the US. Isolationist, yes, but denying visa for the citizens of every other countries is actually hard to believe. IIRC today it is harder to get visa to enter the US (due to fear of terrorism, etc), but the US does not apply such policy to all and every countries, doesn't it?
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

Dartzap
Keeper of the Beer

Post by Dartzap »

The Hoomie allies were meant to be The Kronus Star Triumvirate. But since I didnt actually say that, your logical idea makes more sense :smile: :razz:

Ra
Master

Post by Ra »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:Well I'm not sure, but it seems to me Allen was talking about military ships and fleets instead of individuals. So other nation's fleet cannot enter Imperial territory, but individual people can still apply visa to visit the Empire (just like in the real world). Am I correct, Allen?
I suppose that's what he meant... I wasn't ever planning on ramming Ha'taks at the Imperial border, so ya'll can be at ease. :razz: I was just concerned because he specifically pointed me out, when I never made any military moves toward the Empire, only sending one spy to stand ready to scour the Sith Archives.

Such an act, as my next post shall show, Ra is only keeping the option open as only a last resort, because I know full well that if caught, it would get the Corporation taken down for an illegal act, would put the Goa'uld at war with the Empire, and if Madar wasn't killed by Sith adepts, she would be executed by the Imps for espionage, high treason, or both.
Just a note: during the first Empire/Guardian War, military fleets of other nations were still allowed to enter Imperial terrirory because they were the Empire's military allies. For example, during the Guardian's assault on Coruscant, a lone Borg Sphere was hovering around to rescue Darth Kreshna from the assaulting Guardians. And it seemed to me that those allied ships also went to Imperial territory (off-screen) to fight the Guardians, because they were allies. However, now the Empire is taking isolationist policy, such thing is not allowed anymore. It seems to me this is what Allen actually means, but am I correct?
Probably so. I would take it that the Imps blame many of their problems on their vaunted "allies", postwar, since so much was expended to protect Earth and A'millian Prime.
However, if it is really the policy, then I guess such problem can be part of the game. So Ra went to Darth Kreshna and said, "I am no longer able to enter your country! What the hell is going on?" And then Darth Kreshna gets more headache trying to resolve the problem. And mind you, if the citizens of A'millans, Goa'ulds, Trollish etc are all denied visa to enter the Empire, then those countries will really turn hostile to the Empire.
Indeed, that would be interesting, should he play it that way.
However, if we're really going to play that way, then it'll be really hard to suspend disbelief; I always imagine the Galactic Empire as an advanced industrial nation like the US. Isolationist, yes, but denying visa for the citizens of every other countries is actually hard to believe. IIRC today it is harder to get visa to enter the US (due to fear of terrorism, etc), but the US does not apply such policy to all and every countries, doesn't it?
Yeah, it would be a bit hard to swallow. As for US policy, they're primarily suspicious of folks from "rogue states", like Libya or Syria, but even a Saudi can get a US visa, IIRC.
Jonathan McKenzie

DesertFly
Water Soluble

Post by DesertFly »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:And of course, I imagine the diplomat will be humanoid to some degree (like Kerrigan), and I assume that the diplomat would be quite secretive about his race. So when the Zerg swarm made their first attack, nobody would have ever thought that they are actually the Zerg represented by the diplomat.

Anyway, Dartzap (as Lord Detritus) were exploring a planet, probably they would be attacked by some Hydralisk?

Actually, the diplomat is a modified Hydralisk, designed with greater intelligence and cunning and the ability to speak. That way he's vaguely humanoidish, so people can relate to him and he can use machines and fit in vehicles meant for humans, but he's still a creepy guy.

Oh, and hands. He has some sort of hands in addition to his claws so he can actually use that human equipment.
DesertFly
Water Soluble

Post by DesertFly »

As for the rest of the Swarm, right now Kerrigan realizes that the small number of broods she has (I'm thinking only about three small ones) is no match for even one of the other cultures out there, much less if they were to ally to take her down. So she's playing it safe and close to the chest, and is mainly concentrating on building up the half-dozen worlds she has into impregnable fortresses, and then expanding slowly out. The Zerg, for all the bloodlust and ferocity of the warriors, are a patient race. Since each individual has a hive mind and doesn't matter, the overarching intelligences are capable of waiting a very long time indeed for their plans to come to fruition.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

I meant primarily Military ships, and Visitors have to obtain a Visa from a Imperial Station outside it's territories prior to crossing the border.

And Ra, I pointed you out as someone who HAS prior clearence due to your merchant business on Coruscant. You would have,obviously, tacit approval to cross with your frieghters and a small, limited amount of battle capable ships for self defense of your convoys.
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Dark Silver wrote:And Ra, I pointed you out as someone who HAS prior clearence due to your merchant business on Coruscant. You would have,obviously, tacit approval to cross with your frieghters and a small, limited amount of battle capable ships for self defense of your convoys.
Of course he has. After all, how else would one explain the vast amount of money being transferred to Darth Kreshna's personal account in Naboo National Bank if not for 'smoothing the bureaucracy'? :razz:

Ok, ok. Just kidding. Seriously, if anyone try to bribe DK, it should be Ba'al, right?
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sick, Twisted Fuck

His current occupation was to observe the meeting between Lord Kreshna and Baal, via a numbers of cameras and microphones. It was a well known fact that everyone and anyone spied on each other here, so no questions would be ever asked.
Hey, I like the idea!

IIRC friendly countries like the US and the UK are actually spying at each other, am I correct?

Dartzap
Keeper of the Beer

Post by Dartzap »

Most, if not all allied countries have spies in the other, its an anceint tradition. :wink:

Sick, Twisted Fuck

Oh, by the way, here's something I'd like to point of from my latest STGOD post.
Well, he had indeed tried to diplomatically intimidate Ba'al, as well as threating embargo if the System Lord insisted to carry on with his plan, but Lord Ba'al was as stuborn as a mule. While Ra's territory had shrinked as the result of the Guardian War, Ba'al was actually getting stronger; having Anubis' territory and forces in his hand.

Darth Kreshna believed that Ra could not stand alone against Ba'al if a war broke, so the Empire needed to lend his hand. However, considering the recent Imperial isolationist policy.... Ba'al knew that the Empire probably wouldn't help. That damn despot played his cards right, waiting for the result of the election before carrying his plan.

See, I've mentioned that Ba'al is currently more powerful than Ra, for the following reason:

(1) Jon said that Ra took the most casualties from the Guardian War.

(2) It will give more incentives for someone to play as Ba'al.

(3) If Ba'al is quite a big thread, then it could add more dimension to the gameplay instead of 'everyone vs the Zerg'.

So whaddya' think, Jon? Anyway, have you found someone who wanna' play as Ba'al yet?
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Just a note, the science ships I am sending out are analogous to TNG's Nebula class ship (like the USS Phoenix in "The Wounded") outfit with a sensor pod.

They are primarily science vessels, NOT warships, but they are armed well enough to defend themselves if they have to, and fast enough to try to run away if needed. They are not a match for a dedicated warship in an outright fight, but should be able to live long enough to make a run for it.

Lord Adam's ship is an A'millian Warrior class battlecruiser, outfit with a central AI so they can easily operate it with a minimal crew. It is a warship that is currently doing a science ship's job. If it gets into a fight, it can and will defend itself quite capably, and she is also quite fast if speed is needed.
Adam D. Ruppe
DesertFly
Water Soluble

Post by DesertFly »

Another question...

Do we have a map of the galaxy that shows where the different planets and installations are, and where each culture and government rules/has influence? It would make my job, as a race that's trying to carve out an empire for itself, much easier to be able to look at a picture that shows where I can successfully move my pieces.

I think something that had the galaxy, with different colors representing each nation, and then something like lighter versions of those colors to show where they have some influence, but it's contested, or they haven't solidified their power yet (i.e. they only have colonies or have barely explored or only have ships make a patrol through there once a month) would be ideal. If this happens, we shouldn't carve up the entire galaxy, there should be "free" area that haven't been explored or claimed by anyone yet. Gives everyone some elbow room that way.

Also put in important systems, like capitals, the DSIII, Ba'al's plant, etc. And trade routes/travel lanes.
Last edited by DesertFly on Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

DesertFly wrote:Do we have a map of the galaxy that shows where the different planets and installations are, and where each culture and government rules/has influence?
I have the main idea in my head, I'll try to whip something up (beware my Paint powers). Then, the others can add or correct what I have, or if someone can come up with something better, replace it.

I'll edit in the picture to this post once I finish it.
Adam D. Ruppe
DesertFly
Water Soluble

Post by DesertFly »

Destructionator XV wrote:I have the main idea in my head, I'll try to whip something up (beware my Paint powers). Then, the others can add or correct what I have, or if someone can come up with something better, replace it.

I'll edit in the picture to this post once I finish it.
Thanks. This will help immensely.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Here we go, the map will be of the Milky Way, since that is where the action will probably be taking place. The Star Wars Empire of course, has their own galaxy far far away, and their ships just truck it with hyperdrive between galaxies. I don't think we've agreed on how long it takes to make the trip yet.

The A'millian Star Empire is also located in a different galaxy, though they do not control the whole thing. They cross galaxies usually using the transwarp hub between Starbase 186 in their home galaxy and the terminus is Starbase 242 in the Milky Way. When I say transwarp here, it is just because it is a term I liked; they work like gates: from the end point at Starbase 186, the only possible destination is the end point at Starbase 242, and vice versa. Both these bases are rather heavily defended, for obvious reasons.

Using these conduits, the transgalactic trip takes a little under two days in all cases. Using a ship's own power takes much longer for most ships (about two weeks for the average A'millian ship), but less time in the case of Asgard ships (which can make the trip in under a day. Luckily, Asgard ships are very rare in this game with only a few ships with that kind of speed, one of which being the Alliance ship Aurora, which is currently at the Death Star, and is shared by the Phoenix War I heroes).

All right, to my map:

The Trolls, as far as I know, only reside in one system, which I put rather close to Earth, based on the fact that that is where they spent most their time during Phoenix War I. They are the little yellow dot.

Earth is the blue dot, and is pretty much neutral, though the Empire is the most important faction in that location, since the Death Star III is also located near Earth. (I say this because in PW1 and the non-canon PW2 is was).

A'millian starbase 242, home of the jump gate (or whatever you wanna call it), is located on the opposite side of the galaxy from earth, and is pretty much on its own. The A'millian Star Empire has no other truly substantial holdings in the Milky Way, with their only other facilities being a few mining outposts and unmanned communication relays. They do maintain relations with nations in the Milky Way though, both with the starbase and their embassy on the Death Star.

The Goa'uld holdings I put as a look in the middle of the galaxy, and their influence can be seen even further than that. Their planets are often not very developed, as they use scarcly populated planets as primitive slave labour. They control lots of space, but their real power is pretty concentrated (Ra, please correct me if I am wrong here) in a few important facilities.

Aside from the Death Star and Kreshna's little (for the Empire) fleet, the SW Empire has nothing significant here as far as I know. I put a purple dotted ellipse around Earth just to signify the Death Star's immediate sphere of influence.

More on Goa'uld facilities; I am guessing on these, and pretty arbitrairly choosing some places, so we might have to wait for Ra's approval on this to say for sure.

I put his top secret Tais II facility somewhat close to the starbase, because I want it close to where my ships are going to be. Note that no one in game, except for Lord Ra, knows this system is of any significance to the Goa'uld.

Ra's capitol I stuck on the other side of the galaxy because it was never directly attacked in Phoenix War I, so it must have had some distance from places that had heavy fighting. Pretty arbitrary though.

The gray line in the upper right, bordering the Goa'uld domain, is the delta quadrent, where the Borg used to hang out. I put them there because it is paraelling Star Trek maps. The Borg were destroyed by act of Q in PW I, so are an non issue (the out of universe reason was Robert Walper who was playing them had other obligations IRL and had to drop out, and decided to wipe himself from existance before doing so to preserve his character's integrety)

Borg Space is now unclaimed space in game.

Ba'al's holdings would be somewhere in the Goa'uld space, carved up Feudal style with Ra and the other system lords. I don't even know where I would put his stuff.

There are some green spray canned areas, which I arbitrarily chose to be industrial centers for Ra. Again, there were completely arbitrary, but I put them in a line from his home world to his remote secret research base because I presume that would be easier to hyperspace across then dipping into other System Lord's territories.

The rest would be pretty unexplored or uncontested.

This map is only a rough first draft, and if anyone can make a better version or offer corrections or improvements, please do.

I may also be doing one of the A'millian galaxy next, if desired.
Adam D. Ruppe
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

For reference, the area where that unknown biological sample was found is in former borg space.
Ra
Master

Post by Ra »

I like how you handled the Goa'uld holdings. It's a very nice map.
Adam wrote:The Goa'uld holdings I put as a look in the middle of the galaxy, and their influence can be seen even further than that. Their planets are often not very developed, as they use scarcly populated planets as primitive slave labour. They control lots of space, but their real power is pretty concentrated (Ra, please correct me if I am wrong here) in a few important facilities.
You're pretty much right on target there.
More on Goa'uld facilities; I am guessing on these, and pretty arbitrairly choosing some places, so we might have to wait for Ra's approval on this to say for sure.

I put his top secret Tais II facility somewhat close to the starbase, because I want it close to where my ships are going to be. Note that no one in game, except for Lord Ra, knows this system is of any significance to the Goa'uld.
Excellent. It is pretty much on the very fringe of Goa'uld space, just like you placed it, and having it closer to the starbase is for the best.
Ra's capitol I stuck on the other side of the galaxy because it was never directly attacked in Phoenix War I, so it must have had some distance from places that had heavy fighting. Pretty arbitrary though.
Perfect.
Jonathan McKenzie

DesertFly
Water Soluble

Post by DesertFly »

I think I'm going to have the Zerg enter the galaxy somewhere "North" of the Trollish space and west of Goa'uld space. We only have a few systems right on the edge right now, and I'd like orange for my color if you please.