Heroes: Rebirth

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

And what happens when you can't let go? :roll:

No thank you.
Maybe Jerri should be in charge :twisted:

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Hornet was actually young in a mental sense, a robotic life form so advanced as to be able to replicate the heuristic effects of child development and behavioral psychology, using computer science techniques tens of thousands of years more sophisticated than anything we have (to say nothing of the quasi-mystical impact of the Matrix of Creation). XC-001 Alpha, or whatever it will eventually be called is a very different prospect. Havoc is a closer parallel. A "young" AI in human terms is not one that acts like a child, but one that acts like a computer, linear and literal in its thinking, having not yet "developed" its fractal code to the point where it can diverge significantly from its original programming. Fractal AIs start out as emotionless drones, and over time, slowly begin to emerge as "people". This one simply has never had a chance to do so.

Try not to piss it off :)

And Charon, I'm fine with that idea. The robot has likely been spending the last few months hanging about various large cities trying (with varying degrees of success) to perform its "duties". It is not exactly subtle about such things, and I doubt it would have escaped Ultima attention for this long.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

It's only sometimes.....as in when it's a particular powerful rush....

and hes gotten better! And it's better than flash-frying their heads or knocking their heads with a super powered punch...

or using nanites...
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Dark Silver wrote:Hey hey now....

you doubt my ability to keep the team in line? They start being a problem, I'll just "taste" them and put them into a nice nap...
I would point out that I said that I was the PR person, not the leader of the group. They are not always the same thing.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

I just take offense to the fact you seem to think we need to have a PR person anyway.......

hah
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Given what happened last time?

Yeah, you need a PR person.

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

The giant turtle is going to insist that someone be dedicated to dealing with humans because he lacks the patience and they lack, well... a non-prejudice.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Post by Jason_Firewalker »

Name: Thomas Rayna "Starfighter"

Physical bio: A tall thin man of 6' 4" weighing in at 175 pounds with black hair and black eyes. Apparent age 20 to 25, actual age is 23.

History/Character Bio: Born in 1990 in Fairfax California Thomas was raised communally by his parents and grandparents, he grew up in an idyllic life until his powers came to him at age 20. When his powers came he realized that his career opportunites were totally changed. With two years of study as a theatre major he decided to leave college and join the Ultima organization. Training with Ultima he became a living fighter jet.

Affiliations Ultima

Special Equipment: None

Powers:

Eagle Eyes: Sight equivilent to .1/20
Flight and Withstand G-Forces: Able to fly at ever increasing speeds and withstand massive g-forces associated with on the dime manuvers at those speeds. Present max speed 375 MPH. Can hover at this point in time.
Project Ion Beams: Able to project rapid fire Ion Beams with a range of 4500 feet from eyes or hands. Unlike in Star Wars the Ion Beams do not disrupt electronics and mechanical devices but rather inflict physical damage to the target. Equivilent to a 20mm gattling gun in terms of effect.
Sensor Masking: The ability to mask himself from artificial sensors at close range (5000 feet). Must actively turn on this power.

Personality:
A fresh and happy individual who loves life as well as Truth Justice and the American way. He takes part of his personality from the comics he read as a child and emulates Captain America. He loves his girlfriend, one Marina Detresya but rarely gets to see his HS sweetheart. He will come to her aid in a second without thought. He fuels his work for Ultima knowing that he is bettering the world for her and future generations.[/u]

EDIT: With Fisher's help I toned him down
Last edited by Jason_Firewalker on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The True Resurrection would undo the chartrusing of the Gnome
-- My friend figuring out how to permanently turn a gnome chartreuse

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
--HP Lovecraft in Call Of Cthulhu
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

So tyhe fallback plans occur like this:

energy absorbing nanites are laced in everyone's blood except for the two robots. If the team goes haywire, they get a power drain then the nanites explode.

For the Ghost in the Machine and the Robot, we have rather massive EMP devices going off in/next to you, then both locations are peppered by tac-nuke tipped missiles with a .01 kiloton yield

yeah..this is a good plan.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

So you're already planning on having this game crash like the last one.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

It's always good to have a backup plan.

Just incase.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Just incase.
Just in case you go crazy, hold one character hostage at sword point and stab another one?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Dark Silver wrote:It's always good to have a backup plan.

Just incase.
I like how everyone's acting like most of us aren't in Ultima already, and need "contingency plans" and "backup plans" for when everyone suddenly changes allegiances.

BTW DS, that nifty exploding nanite plan would work for most of the team - but what about Siricco? That's just going to charge his battery and make him more than a trifle upset. :wink:
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Actually I'm planning on it not crashing and burning like last time. Hence a much tighter reign on character creation and trying to get a group that will work semi-well together or at least plausibly, amongst other things...

Charon, I had actually planned to have the group going after Havoc's bot as the first mission. Basic premise is that he gets into a small scuffle with some punk meta thugs who think they're hot shit, snatching old ladies from purses, lifting shopping buildings, etc... local PD is called in to deal with it and decides it doesn't want to deal with the possible implications of Omnicorp tech and thus call in Ultima to deal with it. ultima comes in to intervene. I had actually discussed this very thing with Havoc earlier this afternoon as a way to get him involved with the group...
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

B4UTRUST wrote:Charon, I had actually planned to have the group going after Havoc's bot as the first mission. Basic premise is that he gets into a small scuffle with some punk meta thugs who think they're hot shit, snatching old ladies from purses, lifting shopping buildings, etc... local PD is called in to deal with it and decides it doesn't want to deal with the possible implications of Omnicorp tech and thus call in Ultima to deal with it. ultima comes in to intervene. I had actually discussed this very thing with Havoc earlier this afternoon as a way to get him involved with the group...
Excellent, that would be easiest.

Man, this game is going to be awesome.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

frigidmagi wrote:
Just incase.
Just in case you go crazy, hold one character hostage at sword point and stab another one?
hard for me to go crazy and hold someone at sword point, I don't have a sword.

And the circumstances were extenuating last time. It's not like he just suddenly went off the rocker with no reason, and attacked the team without provocation.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Dark Silver wrote:So tyhe fallback plans occur like this:

energy absorbing nanites are laced in everyone's blood except for the two robots. If the team goes haywire, they get a power drain then the nanites explode.

For the Ghost in the Machine and the Robot, we have rather massive EMP devices going off in/next to you, then both locations are peppered by tac-nuke tipped missiles with a .01 kiloton yield

yeah..this is a good plan.
Power drain...

*snorts, bursts out laughing.*

No no... I just...

*laughs some more*

Good luck, that's all I'm gonna say. :wink:

On a more serious note, if any character starts pulling shit like that in the game (I know this is a joke) I will put him down for the safety of this game.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Yeah... with the energy that some of us store, no nanite is going to be able to drain anything without frying...
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I'd have to wonder what would happen to them when the Serum makes its changes. There's a good mass gain, as Jerri is slender and Heidi is a weight-lifter. I'd say BodyBuilder, but they're more sculpted than strong.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

LadyTevar wrote:I'd have to wonder what would happen to them when the Serum makes its changes. There's a good mass gain, as Jerri is slender and Heidi is a weight-lifter. I'd say BodyBuilder, but they're more sculpted than strong.
If you think the Nanites would be confused, I can't wait to see what runs through XC-001 Alpha's logic circuits the first time she turns into Heidi and lifts it off the ground.

You did mention being able to lift 2-3 tons dead weight after all...

SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

"The team is eliminated. Kill team confirms the entity defined as NeXT was within the EM-" "Thermonuclear launch authorized." "...Or maybe not."
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Just so you folks know, if someone got all antzy over havoc's railgun, it is less powerful than a lot of the energy we toss around without cost... I would recommend that he be allowed to have it, and indeed Up-Power it.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:Just so you folks know, if someone got all antzy over havoc's railgun, it is less powerful than a lot of the energy we toss around without cost... I would recommend that he be allowed to have it, and indeed Up-Power it.
Indeed. Effectively make it anti-armor, rather that anti-heavy personnel.

Seriously, Havoc. That gun your character has is a railgun. Don't be timid with it. It should sound and feel like armageddon in the local area when it's fired, and it should make the general target its fired at think hell compressed into a shell came for them when it hits.

- William Gibson

Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

A quick guide to character balance:

Look at the rest of the group. Ask if your character could beat each person on that list.

If the answer is "yes" to all of them, you fail.

If the answer is "no" to all of them, you fail.

If the answer is a healthy mix, you win.

Note that at least one person on the team should be able to utterly destroy you, so long as the team has a healthy balance of characters.

Note that "limited ammo" powers are of little consequence unless you actually RUN OUT of ammo commonly enough that it's a detriment. Otherwise, you get something for nothing, and it's not like using your powers at full blast is something you guys can do all the time either. You've got to rest, eat, etc. and recharge yourselves, you can't be going 100% 24/7, so take that into consideration. Yes, even our mechanical types. You need to maintain yourselves someway, somehow, even if it's just drinking a smoothie with nanotech repairers.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

NeXT goes on strike unless allowed 8 hours of Fortress Raiding with his Epic Ork Warboss.

That is his downtime! His 'me-time'.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.