Vampire: The Masquerade

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

#176 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by General Havoc »

Among other things, I was hating everyone.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Lys
Master

#177 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

We love you too, Havoc.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
The pretty flowers remind me of a song of elves.
Lys
Master

#178 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

OMG! OMG! OMG! Just found the best thing! Last session Lucretia said that each generation must choose of its own will to uphold the oaths of their fathers. They actually did this! In this time period, when a free commune entered into a particularly important treaty or agreement, it was customary for every free man between the ages of 16 and 70 (the Parliament) to swear an oath to uphold it. This also had the effect of making any settlements not agreeable to the general populace easily rejected by the simple expedient of the great body of the people refusing to swear to it. It's amazing.

Also i apparently underestimated the sheer viciousness of the feuds that occurred in Genoa. We happened to arrive in a good year, as back in 1195 the city appointed a foreigner as Podestà (hired city manager) in order to have someone who could lead the city in an impartial manner. This was absolutely necessary because in 1194 warring factions had started building god-damned siege engines to hurl rocks at each other's towers and palaces. The Podestà was a Milanese noble named Drudo Marcellino, a man renowned for his valour, wisdom, prudence, and honesty in all his dealings. As a foreigner he was uninvolved in the myriad internecine feuds that plagued the commune, and was able to quickly bring peace. Podestàs usually served for one year to keep them from getting too involved in the city's affairs, but because of the severity of the conflict and the fact that the appointment was made in the middle of the year, Marcellino's term was until the end of 1196 so he's still in charge. In fact, the Genoese trust him so much they'll hire him again for 1197. So yeah, when i described the city i should have mentioned that it looks like it's fortified against itself, because it rather is. Though the rest of it would have stayed unmentioned, as Lucretia wouldn't say anything that would make her city look bad.

And i was a bit off about the state of slaves in Genoa. While it's true that most of the slaves were meant for export to the Muslim world, there was high demand for enslaved domestic servants among the wealthy. They were a sign of status, as slaves were nearly always exotic foreigners and generally more expensive than hiring poor freemen. Surviving sale records indicate these slaves were around 80% female, and it's understood that many of them were held as concubines. It seems the Genoese just weren't as pious as the Kingdom of Jerusalem, which by law would relieve any man who raped a slave of both his slave and his genitals. Interestingly there were no serfs in Genoa's domains, as in 1166 the city made them all Cives Romani, which is to say free men.
Last edited by Lys on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#179 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by frigidmagi »

It seems the Genoese just weren't as pious as the Kingdom of Jerusalem, which by law would relieve any man who raped his slave of both her and his genitals.
That would seem to discourage reporting the crime if you're the slave in question wouldn't it?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Lys
Master

#180 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

Uh, no? The rapist is castrated and the victim removed from his possession. How is that a discouragement for her to report the crime? It sounds to me like it's rather the opposite.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#181 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by rhoenix »

Lys wrote:Uh, no? The rapist is castrated and the victim removed from his possession. How is that a discouragement for her to report the crime? It sounds to me like it's rather the opposite.
Lys wrote:It seems the Genoese just weren't as pious as the Kingdom of Jerusalem, which by law would relieve any man who raped his slave of both her and his genitals.
Yeah... that doesn't sound like a strong incentive.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Lys
Master

#182 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

The "her" in the statement refers to the slave. The man loses his slave and his genitals. This should be obvious both from the sentence construction, and the fact that women were simply not castrated as punishment (instead their nose was cut-off). To be honest it boggles my mind that anyone would consider yours a valid reading of that sentence, but i have amended it regardless.
Last edited by Lys on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#183 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by rhoenix »

Lys wrote:The "her" in the statement refers to the slave. The man loses his slave and his genitals. This should be obvious both from the sentence construction, and the fact that women were simply not castrated as punishment (instead their nose was cut-off). To be honest it boggles my mind that anyone would consider that a valid reading of that sentence, but i have amended it regardless.
Regardless of any stunned sense of awe on your part, thank you for clarifying.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Marcao
Disciple

#184 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Marcao »

Hello Guys and Gals,

I will not be available this monday 07/13/2015. It is my wife's birthday. :smile:
The Peddler of Half Truths.
"Not OP, therefore weakest." - Cynical Cat (May 2016)
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

#185 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by General Havoc »

So what happened this Monday in my absence?

Lys
Master

#186 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

Well, i got to roleplay the withered remains of Lucretia's human side for once, showing her acting genuinely happy and kind for the first time in the game. She was awed to see that her beloved liege-lady Monica had finally grown into the beautiful woman Lucretia always knew her to be on the inside. It was a truly joyous occasion, and Lucretia was effusive in her praise. Can't wait until she finds out that Marcus knew about it and didn't tell her. They also talked about the nature of Perpenna, which lead to this line from Lucretia, "From what Marcus has implied and intimated through gritted teeth, I expect his nightmares resemble my own, only it's always the same face. I don't know if that's better or worse, I don't want to know, and I shudder to think how one goes beyond that." Oh and Lucretia was officially made Bishop of the Genoese Quarter, so hurray for me.

Then i also got to roleplay another one of Lucretia's rages. You know, the ones that she just lets build steam for a while before unleashing them as a towering rage in private. They do seem to be something of a signature. This one happened on account of Lucretia finding out the Grimaldi had been acting strangely because they're planning to abandon the patronage of Agostino Canella and become clients of the Hungarian Tzimisce. Naturally Lucretia was beside herself with anger, but not at the Grimaldi, rather at her sire for letting this happen through his own neglect. In her own words, "I am willing to tolerate a lot of things from you, father, but not weakness. I will not be bound to a man who cannot keep his own house in order!" Lucretia was somewhat less angry after he slapped her and told her to mind her place, because Path of Tyrants, also Blood Oath. Then she promised to do her best to fix it, even though what she actually wanted to do was tell him to go fuck himself and fix his own damn mess, but again: Path, Oath.

Little else of consequence happened.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
White Haven
Disciple

#187 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by White Haven »

Ciara got to fuck about inside Helgi's head, and didn't even get beaten into a pulp for it!

...Well, no, no, that's not true. The beating just happened to precede it this time. :rofl:
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'
Hotfoot

#188 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Hotfoot »

And she got to see just how DEAD 'ARD his 'ead is, too. :biggrin:
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

#189 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by General Havoc »

To speak for Marcus for a second, one goes beyond it by killing a vast number of people cathartically.

Lys
Master

#190 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

Lucretia meant how does one exceed the kind of depravity that left scars on both her and Marcus, since Monica said that Perpenna has gotten worse in the intervening time. That said, in terms of how one gets over such things she would definitely agree that murder is quite cathartic. Really the only point of disagreement there is how to go about said killing, as Marcus prefers his own hand whereas Lucretia prefers the hands of others.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

#191 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by General Havoc »

I'd wager that is more a matter of Marcus and Lucretia have different things to prove to different people.

As to Perpenna having gotten worse, Marcus has only whispered rumors to explain how that is possible, and he's getting really worried about what he has heard. The problem isn't that he can't imagine Perpenna getting worse. The problem is that he knows and remembers just enough for his imagination to come up with all manner of awful possibilities.

Lys
Master

#192 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

Oh Lucretia can very well imagine how one plumbs the deepest depths of depravity. She has her own sadistic inclinations, but they're kept tightly under wraps because she's seen and been disgusted by those who choose to revel in and be controlled by their hungers.This is part of why Lucretia loathes the Bishop Alfonso so much, she knows him to be a dark mirror of her own self. So it's not really failure of imagination why Lucretia would rather not dwell on such matters, but rather the opposite.That's why she said that she shuddered to think of it, not that she couldn't imagine, she meant it quite literally.

And yes the two of them have different things to prove, and frankly nearly diametrically opposite responses to trauma. It makes for interesting interactions and drama.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
Marcao
Disciple

#193 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Marcao »

I wanted to inform everyone that I will be on vacation from the 3rd of August until the 13th. I will be in Florida with the wife so I will not be online at all.
The Peddler of Half Truths.
"Not OP, therefore weakest." - Cynical Cat (May 2016)
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
Lys
Master

#194 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

Might as well mention myself that i'll be on vacation from the 5th to the 12th in Chicago. While i will have internet access for the game on the 10th, i do hope you understand that my family takes higher priority, and so unless there happen to be no other plans that evening i will be otherwise occupied.

Also creeping you all out by having Lucretia act sweet and motherly to her daughter is now one of my all time favourite role-playing moments. It's right up there with the time a psychology student was able to figure out my character's traumatic past based entirely on how i was roleplaying the effects on her psyche.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

#195 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by General Havoc »

You may not want Lucretia to creep out literally everyone present in such ways. There are vampires about who have very specific things to say about Kindred who cross the line with children...

Lys
Master

#196 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

Then it's a good thing that only the players were privy to the scene in question, and that it did not involve any children as Lucretia's are all grown. As far as the characters know, Lucretia doesn't even have a sweet and tender side, which is precisely why her acting as such is so beautifully unnerving.

That said, given she is an unageing vampire Lucretia might at some point take to rescuing street kids for the purpose of raising them as loyal servants. Marcus may have difficulty objecting to the practice given that she'd be providing them food, clothing, shelter, education, and future employment. It's not like she would abuse them, Lucretia has no interest in owning damaged goods.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
White Haven
Disciple

#197 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by White Haven »

Not sure if I'll be available tonight, things are a bit up in the air. Don't wait up if I'm not here.
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#198 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Cynical Cat »

So how does everyone like Warhammer? I ask because we sure as hell invoked the Blood God last night. :lol:
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Lys
Master

#199 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

We painted the halls in the blood of our enemies. Those poor servants, those who did not become collateral damage will be stuck cleaning out Alfonso's Marcus' palazzo for weeks after.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
Lys
Master

#200 Re: Vampire: The Masquerade

Post by Lys »

So apparently the Rinmaru Games Mega Anime Avatar Creator was updated some time after i last used it.

Do you know what this means?

That's right, it's time for Luci-chan! ^_^
Lys is lily, or lilium.