STGOD! OOC Thread.

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Silence
Acolyte

Post by Silence »

I'd returned back to my hometown for Christmas only to find myself drafted to fill in a personal gap in my mother's flowershop, I'll be posting once I extricate myself from being forced to deliver 12 hours a day :p
The Admiral: A game of chess, my dear.
The Woman: I don't play.
The Admiral: You should learn. We're all pawns, my dear. -The Prisoner
Screwball
Acolyte

Post by Screwball »

Having a bit of difficulty thinking up a a first post, so I've taken the easy route and written a 'response' to Frigid's letter. Next time, I'll do something more original. :razz:
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

I'm going to enjoy watching the two of you play this game.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

That was well written Screwball, props.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

OOB will be up Christmas night. Been working 14 hours days (retail) so my sleep has been curtailed rather severely the last few says.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

Merry Christmas everyone.

And yes, I call tanks "armoured tractors" in Pacifica, because "tank" was purely a result of its development in WWI and the alternative "barrel", affiliated as it is with Turtledove, resulted in a friend threatening to strangle me over the internet. :shock: :grin: :mrgreen:
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

Upish. Happy Christmastime whatever I have work in the morning : (.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

Sorry guys, internet's been absolutely shitacular at work this last weekend, wasn't able to get my post up until now. The whole 'work 40 hours in 3.5 days' thing means that I'm generally not going to be posted in my downtime between Thursday and Sunday evenings, as the blessed oblivion of slumber tends to fill my plans.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Nothing like a little international incident to poke things along.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Klavohunter
LoneStar
Silence
Hadri
Sunhawk

You all need to post a game post.

If Angelod doesn't post his OOB midnight (In his time that'll be 2 and an half hours I think) he's gone.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

frigidmagi wrote:You all need to post a game post.
I'm having the most terrible case of writer's block. It's one thing when you don't know what to write, but in this case I know exactly what I want to describe, but whenever I try to my brain locks up, which makes it doubly frustrating.

I'll see if I can finish something today, if not I have a rather less ambitious idea for a first post that I could alternatively use.
If Angelod doesn't post his OOB midnight (In his time that'll be 2 and an half hours I think) he's gone.
So, this means we lost the African power south of Ethiopia? Guess the colonial powers down there will be feeling a bit relieved.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Nope Angelod was playing the South American power north of Lonestar.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

frigidmagi wrote:Nope Angelod was playing the South American power north of Lonestar.
Ah, pity then. South America might be a tad lonely with only one player nation making it their home.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

Well, I got over my writer's block and had most of a draft for a post drawn up before fortunate circumstances caused my computer to be shut down without warning. Normally I say the loss of a full page's worth of writing is unfortunate, but the mentioned circumstances involved getting pounced on by a horny girl. I'm sure you all understand.

In other news...

Havoc, why did you remove the message? Okay, that's rethorical. I think I know the exact reason. It's a pretty clever attempt to bring roleplaying into real life, if you weren't there when it was broadcast to read it, then you missed it and it sucks for you. That's a pretty neat idea, and I give you props for it. The problem is that it is unreasonable to expect other players to treat forum posts like radio messages. I kind of expect a bit of permanency from forum posts; hence why I am not in the habit of making copies of information I wish to review later. I would, in fact, be rather surprised if anyone at all bothered to write it down. So I saw the message, but I can't reply to it because I am not sure if I remember the details correctly and have nothing to reference. This is... annoying.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

I apologize for triple postage, but in my experience nobody but me ever checks posts they've already read for edit. Since Cynical Cat just posted, it probably means he read my last post, which also probably means this message directed specifically at him would not get noticed unless I make a separate entry for it.

Cynical Cat, the Russians and Vasans have, in fact, fought a war with modern weapons. I don't know if anyone else was involved, and we never decided on a specific time frame, but it was very much a WWI replay for us. Here's a covenient before and after mappings:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7518/oldborderb.png

Old border in red, new border in blue.The dashed part in the Ukraine indicates the border is an approximation, as there just weren't enough landmarks in the map for me to draw it exactly.

The current border closely matches the front line around the time an armistice was agreed to, with a few adjustments agreed upon by the diplomats.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Posts should either be posted or not. Deleting posts does not sit well with me. If you want to fuck with people, there are many easier ways that don't involve removing things.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Hadrianvs wrote:
Cynical Cat, the Russians and Vasans have, in fact, fought a war with modern weapons. I don't know if anyone else was involved, and we never decided on a specific time frame, but it was very much a WWI replay for us. Here's a covenient before and after mappings:
That's fine. I said "major" with "modern" and as a quick look at my OOB will confirm I have a fair amount of mechanized troops and air support. So

(1) If it WWI reboot, then tanks and airplanes played comparatively minor rolls and so "modern" might not apply.

(2) If you want your history taken into account, post it publicly. Don't decide in chat with one person and then expect the rest of us to agree to it or take it into consideration.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

Cynical Cat wrote:If you want your history taken into account, post it publicly. Don't decide in chat with one person and then expect the rest of us to agree to it or take it into consideration.
It didn't occur to me that my history would be relevant to anyone but my neighbors. I see I was wrong.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Hadrianvs wrote:
Cynical Cat wrote:If you want your history taken into account, post it publicly. Don't decide in chat with one person and then expect the rest of us to agree to it or take it into consideration.
It didn't occur to me that my history would be relevant to anyone but my neighbors. I see I was wrong.
(1) I live in your neighborhood

(2) It's relevant to everyone. If Russia and the Mughal Empire have fought five major wars over two hundred years (to make up a wild, but not completely insane example), it affects everyone whose foreign policy touches upon anything within the Russian or Mughal sphere of interest.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

This was not some ploy to deprive people of information. I removed the bulk of the post because I had never intended to post it all in the first place. The message was supposed to go direct to France (and did), and I somehow crossed my windows and accidentally dumped the entire thing into the IC thread as well. As soon as I realized that I had done so, I removed it, save for the bit about the message actually going out

Anyone who has the capacity to intercept/decode it can simply let me know, and I'll give them a copy of it.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

Cat's right, Hadri, such things in the history are in fact rather important. A recent, WWI-style war would've gotten the attention of armies around the world with the showcasing of new weapons and eventually tactics.
Last edited by Steve on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Alright folks we are offically in March-Apirl. You may start your first build orders. If anyone has questions on how the industrial system work PM me. You do have to post some flavor has to what you're building but you don't have to make everything detailed and public, a PM to the mods will work. Screwball you would want to PM Charon instead of me.

Klavo, Lonestar, Hadri and Silence if I do not get a post from you by the end of this week, you're out of the game. You're suppose to do at least 1 post a week and two weeks have gone by without anything in the game thread from y'all.

I still need someone to do the Chinese minor states *looks* If you're a non Asian power you should be volunteering. Thanks go to Cat, Steve, Marcoa and Windswept for having made NPCs. I appreicate your hard work guys.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

Hrm? I thought the first build orders were as of game start. And I figured they were public so I put them in my Main Info post along with my vitals and my OrBat and stuff.

Some stuff really would be "public" in terms of what's being built, I think - you're not going to easily hide the mass allotments of steel for a warship, or big orders to plants and factories producing military trucks. That said, I presume we can hide our research directions and simply inform the mods of what we're doing there?
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I told you twice we were holding that until after the first 2 months, I wanted to give people time to get set up. Like I said you do have to make some post giving an vauge idea of what you're building, beyond that is up to you.
Screwball
Acolyte

Post by Screwball »

I'd volunteer, but I couldn't resist the temptation to turn my neighbors into juicy, industry and population filled sweeties. Which is why I'm not allowed, I guess. :lol:

On an actual point that might be useful for a post, I take it aircraft technology is vaguely interwar at this point? That is, lots of biplanes and everybody trying to figure out how to get a monoplane to work without it tearing it's own wings off in combat?
Last edited by Screwball on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.