[Recruitment] Cthulhutech: The Borderlines of the World

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Sorry, busy week.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Kurald Galain
Acolyte

Post by Kurald Galain »

I have a computer again. Barrowed, so I still don't have the books, but I should be back to posting again.

I just need to get cought up first.
Out- out are the lights- out all!
And, over each quivering form,
The curtain, a funeral pall,
Comes down with the rush of a storm,
While the angels, all pallid and wan,
Uprising, unveiling, affirm
That the play is the tragedy, "Man,"
And its hero the Conqueror Worm.
Losonti Tokash
Apprentice

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Okay, we seem to have gotten stuck. Are we waiting on anyone in particular, or are people not sure what to do, or what?
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

You know, I'm not quite sure. I know I'm waiting for someone else to post, I'm just not sure who exactly. I suppose if frigid's character called out and told us that the D-Engine was still working and the APC had power we could all start evacing the wounded, or we could just assume that was already mentioned and the characters doing medical work could start moving out the wounded.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I suppose if frigid's character called out and told us that the D-Engine was still working and the APC had power we could all start evacing the wounded,
That's not going to happen, as my character isn't interested in moving until he gets in radio contact with HQ. Then we can start moving. To the Evac point.

But hey I'll post.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
EarthScorpion
Apprentice

Post by EarthScorpion »

Contested; attempt by <REDACTED> to pinpoint the communications uplink

Henna Sakhreet (NPC)
Communications Roll - Communications Adept (3 dice)
1, 10, 5 = Highest = 10
Intellect 6
Total = 16

Contested by <REDACTED>

Communications Roll - Communications <REDACTED>
<REDACTED> = Double 5 = 10
Intellect 5
Total = 15

Henna succeeded; the unknown (but almost certainly) EOoD party was not able to triangulate the signal, although they were aware of it being sent.
Author of Aeon Natum Engel, an Evangelion/Cthulhutech setting merger fan-fiction.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Luckly I got that Demo skill yes?
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

There's at least two guys with Demo on this mission. I figure that between those with Demo and Alex's Munition skills we can rig the rocket pods on the Werewolf to blow, hopefully long after we're away so that it will serve as a distraction to the enemy, buying us more time to get to cover. If we're really ambitious we might even set it all up as a booby trap that the enemy will trip when they investigate, but that might take up too much time.

Also, if possible we should grab as much of the RMG-10M ammo as possible from the Werewolf. It should be compatible with the man portable version and that's an extra 3000 rounds sitting there. Alex will volunteer to get it out and carry it to the Ranger if we think we have the time.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Bobby traps are iffy. They can be spotted and defused. And we have no plan B. Best not to risk it in this case.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

I figured as much, although a combination of a timer and some sort of trigger in case the enemy shows up early would probably be best. We might also be able to set the bomb up with the intent of cracking the D-Engine for that extra eldritch 'oomph' to the boom, but as the local arcanotechnician and sorcerer while I could probably do that, I would recommend against it if anyone we like wants to use that field any time soon.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

That field is now a causality of war. Go for it.
EarthScorpion
Apprentice

Post by EarthScorpion »

Academia Nut wrote:There's at least two guys with Demo on this mission. I figure that between those with Demo and Alex's Munition skills we can rig the rocket pods on the Werewolf to blow, hopefully long after we're away so that it will serve as a distraction to the enemy, buying us more time to get to cover. If we're really ambitious we might even set it all up as a booby trap that the enemy will trip when they investigate, but that might take up too much time.
Yes, that can be done. It'll be a Challenging (TN 16) Demolitions Extended Test, 5 minutes per roll. The difficulty was reduced from Hard by the fact that you have a trained Arcanotechnician and Mutions expert (AN's character) on hand. Both Aiguo and Bertram can roll; together, you'll need to get three successes to rig up a charge using the missile pods to either crack the safeties on the D-Engine and make it auto-shutdown in a way that will mean that you need a trained arcanotechnician to repair it, or you could get it to breach the containment and cause a catastrophic shutdown which may release extra-dimensional monsters.

If you wanted a booby trap, that would bump the difficulty up to Hard (TN 20)
Also, if possible we should grab as much of the RMG-10M ammo as possible from the Werewolf. It should be compatible with the man portable version and that's an extra 3000 rounds sitting there. Alex will volunteer to get it out and carry it to the Ranger if we think we have the time.
Yes, the RMG-10M ammo is compatible with the man-sized weapon. One of the legacies of the standardisation that nanofactories bring. On the other hand, they're fairly heavy and bulky; you're only going to be able to fit 750 (the supply of one gun) rounds in their canister in the limited space in the IFV.

Oh yeah, Academia Nut, I just finished the first series of Ghost in the Shell, and now I can really see where the Cthulhutech Powered Armour takes its inspiration from. :grin:
Last edited by EarthScorpion on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Aeon Natum Engel, an Evangelion/Cthulhutech setting merger fan-fiction.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Okay, once I get a volunteer or two to help me rig this puppy to blow I can begin ripping off the rocket pod and positioning it to wreck the D-Engine and make a nice big explosion. Wooo...
EarthScorpion
Apprentice

Post by EarthScorpion »

I'm just going to have the two players who have any demolitions perform it as a joint Extended Task, 5 minutes per roll, 3 successes with no rolls which neither player succeeds.

Aiguo Yu (frigidmagi), Roll 1
Demolitions Roll - Demolitions Novice (2 dice)
4, 10 = Highest - 10
Int - 5
Total = 15
Fails

Bertram Gregory (Hotfoot), Roll 1
Demolitions Roll - Demolitions Student (1 dice)
9 = Highest - 9
Int - 8
Total = 17
Success

Roll 1, 1 success. 1 success total

Aiguo Yu (frigidmagi), Roll 2
5, 10 = Highest - 10
Int - 5
Total = 15
Fails

Bertram Gregory (Hotfoot), Roll 2
10 = Highest - 10
Int - 8
Total = 18
Success

Roll 2, 1 success. 2 successes total. Yeah, I'm a) rolling really well, and b) finding that low stat can be really quite a disadvantage.

Aiguo Yu (frigidmagi), Roll 3
6, 7 = Highest - 7
Int - 5
Total = 12
Fails

Bertram Gregory (Hotfoot), Roll 3
7 = Highest - 7
Int - 8
Total = 15
Fails

Roll 3, 0 successes. Resets total successes to zero. It turns out that the route you were taking to rig the missiles was a dead end, and you'll have to deassemble the improvised explosives and start again.

15 minute deadline expires. It would be possible to keep on rolling, but you now have visitors.

At this point, Aiguo and Bertram are over by the crashed Werewolf, while all the characters with medical skills are in the IFV, along with all the injured. I need to know where all the other characters are, in broad terms, and then we'll be rolling for Awareness and then Initiative.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

You know what this situation calls for? Drama points. If Hotfoot rolls another 7 or a 10 on the third roll then it succeeds. If frigid rolls another 7 or 6, or a 5 or an 8 to make a straight, then it succeeds. That's a 60% chance of success between the two of you for the cost of a drama point apiece. Alternatively frigid can spend points on earlier rolls and hope to get another ten and thus we could get out of here faster, but that's just 10% chance of success for each check, at least unless frigid wants to keep spending drama points until success is made.

Just something to think about there considering that drama points can be expended before or after any roll.
EarthScorpion
Apprentice

Post by EarthScorpion »

Yeah, actually, that's a good point. I completely forgot about them; by Rules as Written, they're spent after the roll, too, so you can just retcon then in as having been spent, as I haven't put up an IC post yet.

So where do the concerned players want to spend theirs?
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I'll go with Nut's first option. seems best to me.
EarthScorpion
Apprentice

Post by EarthScorpion »

Aiguo Yu (frigidmagi), Roll 3 (1 drama point spent)
Demolitions Roll - Demolitions Novice (2 + 1 dice)
6, 7, 2 = Highest - 7
Int - 5
Total = 12
Still Fails
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Well shit.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I'll do it as well, might as well go out trying.
EarthScorpion
Apprentice

Post by EarthScorpion »

Bertram Gregory (Hotfoot), Roll 3 (1 Drama Point Spent)
Demolitions Roll - Demolitions Student (1 dice + 1)
7, 9 = Highest - 9
Int - 8
Total = 17
Suceeds.

Right, now that's a success, you've accumulated the three successes with no failures in the allotted time. That means you can get a charge rigged up on the spot to the one surviving D-Engine, set to fail catastrophically, with a timer that I'm leaving up to you to determine.

However, the 15 minutes are still up, so the Dagonites have arrived. I need to know all your locations, so I can do the necessary rolls for Alertness, and who will be driving the IFV/ manning its weapons. Once I've got that and done the rolls, I can put up an IC post which will detail what has just happened.
Losonti Tokash
Apprentice

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Well, I think Erik's still in the crashed transport treating the injured, though I've gotten a bit confused on that.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

I think all of the wounded have been transferred to the IFV so you would be there treating them. As for my character, he would be intently trying to keep watch while attempting to minimize is profile once he'd finished getting everything he needed off the downed Werewolf while still providing advice to the demolitions experts in the craft on how to position . So I guess he would sort of be lurking about the crashed Werewolf on a slow circuit, keeping his back to the crashed machine in the hopes of minimizing his own signature and making sure nothing can shoot him from a direction he can't shoot back at immediately.

I don't have the books immediately on hand (school computer) so I'm pretty sure my Awareness is just my base perception of 6, no further rolling, while my Initiative is just 7+1d10, so I'll do that.

Kurald Galain
Acolyte

Post by Kurald Galain »

Sorry for not posting. I'll be tring to helping to get everything packed for us to escape. I still don't have a new copy of the book, so I'll have to rely on other people telling me what I can do for a little bit longer
Out- out are the lights- out all!
And, over each quivering form,
The curtain, a funeral pall,
Comes down with the rush of a storm,
While the angels, all pallid and wan,
Uprising, unveiling, affirm
That the play is the tragedy, "Man,"
And its hero the Conqueror Worm.
EarthScorpion
Apprentice

Post by EarthScorpion »

Radar-Range Observation - Average (TN 12)

Alex (Academia Nut)
Observation Roll - Observation untrained
4 = /2 - 2
Per - 6
Total = 8
Fails

Henna Sakhreet (NPC) (In IFV)
Observation Roll - Observation Novice
4, 6 = Highest - 6
Per - 7
Total = 13
Succeeds, alert raised to other characters. It looks like two car sized objects, definitely not mecha. Moving fairly fast.

Initiative Rolls - (Reflex) + d10
Alex (AN) = (7) + 9 = 16
Tyche (KG) = (5) + 6 = 11
Erik (LT) = (8) + 7 = 15
Bertram (HF) = (7) + 6 = 13
Aiguo (FM) = (6) + 1 = 7
Dovara (M) = (6) + 5 = 11
Group 1 (NPC) = (5) + 3 = 8
Group 2 (NPC) = (5) + 9 = 14
Henna (NPC) = (6) + 10 = 16
Salky (NPC) = (5) + 2 = 7

Therefore, in Order;
16} Alex - Patrolling around the Werewolf
16} Henna - In the pilot seat of the IFV
15 Erik - In the hold of the IFV, with the patients
14 Group 2 - Coming in from the East
13 Bertram - Over by the Werewolf, just finished with the charges
11} Tyche - In the IFV
11} Dovara - In the IFV (One of these two are in the turret, I'd suspect Marcao, looking at the stats)
8 Group 1 - Coming in from the East
7} Aiguo - Over by the Werewolf, just finished with the charges
7} Salky - In the hold of the IFV, with the patients

So yes, I think now is the time when we discuss how the combat plays out. There are two ways of doing this. We can either have IC posts from the players in turn, or we can discuss each round in the OOC thread (including declarations of number of actions taken), to be summarised up as a single post from me. Or we can do a mixture of the two, predominantly the latter. I think you can see where my prejudices lie. The point is, Framewerk works by running through each first action in turn, then all the second actions, and so on.

And it's been errataed that aiming doesn't inflict a penalty for multiple actions, so if you aim with one action then shoot with the next, you're using your base bonus, added to the aiming bonus, rather than taking multiple action penalty. It's one of the things that helps rebalance aimed single shots with autofire.