Antikythera wreck yields new treasures

S&L: Discussion of matters pertaining to theoretical and applied sciences, and logical thought.

Moderator: Charon

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Antikythera wreck yields new treasures

Post by frigidmagi »

BBC
An international expedition says it has made further, remarkable finds at the site of the Antikythera shipwreck.

The vessel, which dates from 70-60BC, was famously first identified by Greek sponge divers more than 100 years ago.

Its greatest treasure is the remains of a geared "computer" that was used to calculate the positions of astronomical objects.

The new archaeological investigations have retrieved tableware, ship components, and a giant bronze spear.

This weapon was probably attached to a warrior statue, the dive team believes.

Antikythera shipwreck
The spear probably belonged to a giant statue
Previous expeditions have found several such statues made of bronze and marble.

The new excavation effort, which ran from 15 September to 7 October, was led by the Hellenic Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities, Greece, and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, US.

The wreck is in 55m of water and requires divers use rebreathers. Even so, their time on the bottom is limited to just three hours.

As a consequence, the expedition witnessed the first use of a new robotic Iron Man-like diving apparatus called the Exosuit. This enables its occupants to stay down for up to 50 hours, if necessary.

The team plans to return next year. It is believed many more treasures await discovery.

There has been speculation that the vessel, which was probably travelling from the coast of Asia Minor to Rome when lost, was carrying a soon-to-be-married woman and her dowry.

WHOI marine archaeologist Brendan Foley recently told the BBC that he hoped to find additional parts to the Antikythera Mechanism, or other automata.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#2 Re: Antikythera wreck yields new treasures

Post by rhoenix »

I've been watching this in my news feed over the past few days, and it's made me smile. To this day we're still making new discoveries about our past and the universe around us, and I think that it's glorious.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#3 Re: Antikythera wreck yields new treasures

Post by Josh »

Not just 'to this day', but what's cool is that the pace is accelerating, and we're constantly revising things and pushing the frontiers of knowledge back further and further.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain