Hydrogen conversion kit for cars

S&L: Discussion of matters pertaining to theoretical and applied sciences, and logical thought.

Moderator: Charon

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#1 Hydrogen conversion kit for cars

Post by rhoenix »

This is something I've heard mentioned today, and I wanted to know if anyone else has heard or read more on the subject than I.

I admit right upfront that I'm somewhat biased against the idea, since despite the abundance of hydrogen to use as fuel, it's very combustible nature and the lack of infrastructure surrounding it are immediate concerns of mine. Plus in the case of the worst-case scenario, I don't know how well hydrogen-run cars would respond to a head-on collision on the freeway.

That said, after a google search or three, I found this article on Motortrend.com, and this article on a mechanic's blog site, and both appeared to be skeptical at best regarding the idea.

So - before I confront someone about this, is there anything regarding this subject I should know?
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#2 Re: Hydrogen conversion kit for cars

Post by Josh »

The main obstacle here is the infrastructure, which I simply don't see being developed in the states. The latest push I've heard on it is Japan, which has a lot less ground to cover and would be easier to run a chain of fueling stations through.

The main advantage you'll get over electrical in that case is ease of fueling vs. long charge times for electrical, which would apply doubly here because we do have a lot of country to cover.

On the matter of hydrogen's volatility, it's not an explosive gas. I've never dealt with hydrogen storage, but it was referenced in training as something that will burn and burn and burn so long as you have hydrogen, but not in a big boom fashion. The textbook on a hydrogen fire was just sit back and wait for it to run out of fuel. How that varies from actual practices, I couldn't say.

[youtube][/youtube]

Video is older than dirt and obviously selling hydrogen as a fuel source, but it kind of illustrates my point.

As an aside, I always wanted that Mythbusters-style job of shooting at potentially explosive containers.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
rhoenix

#3 Re: Hydrogen conversion kit for cars

Post by rhoenix »

Ok, so there's that misconception - I kept thinking "Hindenberg" for volatility.

The "conversion kits" I've seen for hydrogen look like pure snake-oil, though.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Josh

#4 Re: Hydrogen conversion kit for cars

Post by Josh »

http://h2bestpractices.org/h2introducti ... flames.asp

Resource on hydrogen fires. That bit about the wide range of flammability is the key and the reason a hydrogen fire will go on and on until all fuel is exhausted.

The Hindenberg roman candled because it had a flammable dope mixture used to glue the panels together. There's a pretty cool Mythbusters on the topic.
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
rhoenix

#5 Re: Hydrogen conversion kit for cars

Post by rhoenix »

A bit more information:

My coworker was talking about HHO conversion kits for one's car, which changes the debate considerably. I don't think anyone needs my layman's scientific understanding to explain why these are little more than dehydrated water in a can, if you'll pardon the joke.

- William Gibson

Josh

#6 Re: Hydrogen conversion kit for cars

Post by Josh »

Next you'll tell me that the stuff they advertise in comics won't make me the god of the beach and the x-ray glasses won't really let me see through clothes.