Forensic scientists caught a deer munching on a human body

S&L: Discussion of matters pertaining to theoretical and applied sciences, and logical thought.

Moderator: Charon

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Forensic scientists caught a deer munching on a human body

Post by frigidmagi »

popsci
Forensic scientists have to do a lot of weird things in order to solve crimes and identify bodies. Sometimes that involves leaving corpses outside to rot, to better understand what happens during and after decomposition. In fact, there are entire facilities devoted to studying the decay of donated human remains, like the 26-acre Forensic Anthropology Research Facility (FARF) in San Marcos, Texas.

In July 2014, researchers left a body in a wooded part of FARF. They wanted to learn about how different scavengers leave their marks on human remains, so they set up a motion-sensitive camera to see who would stop by. In this part of Texas, it’s not unusual to see foxes, turkey vultures, raccoons, coyotes, and other carrion-gobblers picking at a corpse. But after a few months, someone new came to the table.

On January 5, 2015, the camera caught a glimpse of a young white-tailed deer standing near the skeleton with a human rib bone in its mouth. Then it happened again on January 13—the camera caught a deer with another rib sticking out of its mouth like a cigar. It’s not clear whether it was the same deer in both cases, but it's certainly possible first one came back for seconds.

This is the first known evidence of a deer scavenging human bones, and the authors published their findings in the Journal of Forensic Sciences.

It is not, however, the first time we’ve seen deer violating their vegetarian diets. In fact, they’re known to have a taste for blood. Previously they’ve been spotted eating fish, bats, and dead rabbits. Scientists think deer and other herbivores may occasionally seek out flesh to get minerals—such as phosphorus, salt, and calcium—that may be missing from their regular diets, especially in wintertime.

The paper describes the signs of deer dining, in case it helps other forensic scientists in investigating suspicious deaths. Based on this case study and the way deer have been known to forage animal carcasses, the authors note that the ungulates tend to seek out dry bones of long-dead animals, and in particular bones with a rectangular cross-section. They cause the most damage on the ends of the bone, where the zigzag motions of their jaws leave behind a “stripped, forked pattern in the bone,” the authors note. Carnivores, by contrast, seek out fresher remains and leave punctures and pits in the bone.

Although it’s likely rare for deer to munch on human remains, being able to recognize the signs of ungulate gnawing may help investigators pinpoint where a body came from and how long it’s been dead—which could help turn a mysteriously mangled crime scene into a solved case.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#2 Re: Forensic scientists caught a deer munching on a human bo

Post by LadyTevar »

Face it, a set of desiccated bones is gonna get nibbled for the nutrients, no matter what species it originally was. If not by deer, then by deermice and other small mammalians.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

#3 Re: Forensic scientists caught a deer munching on a human bo

Post by Batman »

The point isn't that human bones were munched on-you're quite right, that's inevitable-but that it was done by herbivores
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

#4 Re: Forensic scientists caught a deer munching on a human bo

Post by General Havoc »

Batman wrote:The point isn't that human bones were munched on-you're quite right, that's inevitable-but that it was done by herbivores
I would argue that the deer in question are quite definitionally no longer herbivores.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#5 Re: Forensic scientists caught a deer munching on a human bo

Post by LadyTevar »

General Havoc wrote:
Batman wrote:The point isn't that human bones were munched on-you're quite right, that's inevitable-but that it was done by herbivores
I would argue that the deer in question are quite definitionally no longer herbivores.
There's deer on Scottish Islands who are carnivores simply to get the needed nutrients to grow antlers for rut. It's Life Finding A Way, nothing more.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers