NASA concept would send astronauts to Venus

S&L: Discussion of matters pertaining to theoretical and applied sciences, and logical thought.

Moderator: Charon

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#1 NASA concept would send astronauts to Venus

Post by rhoenix »

gizmag.com wrote:For decades, landing on Mars has captivated the imagination of earthlings as the obvious next step in space exploration after landing on the moon, but NASA is also looking into ways to send a manned mission to a more forbidding neighbor – Venus.

Researchers at NASA's Langley facility have developed the High Altitude Venus Operational Concept (HAVOC) as a possible means of exploring Earth's nearest planetary neighbor. HAVOC involves sending what is essentially a blimp and two astronauts on a month-long mission to float around the planet's atmosphere.

Exploring Venus is difficult because of the sulfuric acid in its atmosphere, extremely hot surface temperatures that can melt lead (or a European orbiter) and crushing air pressure on the ground as well. Piloting an inflatable vehicle not only avoids all these perilous obstacles, it also makes for a relatively simple way to explore a neighboring planet without the expense and hassle of managing a descent, landing, take-off and ascent.

According to engineers that worked on the HAVOC concept, the astronauts would live and work in a floating habitat attached to the blimp-like vehicle, which would likely be filled with helium to keep it aloft. The engineers figure that in the Venusian atmosphere, the vehicle would be able to keep itself aloft at a target altitude of 50 kilometers.

The HAVOC team claims that Venus is an even better environment for airships than Earth, thanks to its heavy atmosphere.

The mission wouldn't involve piloting a space "zeppelin" of sorts all the way from Earth to Venus, of course. Exploration of the second planet from the sun would likely begin with unmanned missions to the atmosphere of Venus to test technologies and study the atmosphere before sending humans.

A craft carrying a manned crew would then be sent to rendezvous with an existing craft orbiting Venus. One of the craft would then descend into the planet's atmosphere, deploying and inflating the airship at the proper altitude. The HAVOC team envisions potential human settlements "anchored" in the atmosphere of Venus as a planetary base of sorts, not unlike the International Space Station or even a more permanent colony.

At the moment, no manned missions to Venus are planned by NASA. The HAVOC concept was devised by the agency's Systems Analysis and Concepts Directorate, which conducts such studies "for the Agency decision makers." Nonetheless, it's interesting to note that manned missions to Venus are at least on the table, but it will take quite a sales job to convince those decision makers, legislators and the Americans that elect them that Venus is a more enticing option for an upcoming manned mission than Mars.

For more on HAVOC, watch the concept video below.
HAVOC Concept Video:

[youtube][/youtube]

I really, really want to see this happen in my lifetime.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#2 Re: NASA concept would send astronauts to Venus

Post by Josh »

Put this one down for when we get the fusion rockets.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#3 Re: NASA concept would send astronauts to Venus

Post by frigidmagi »

This is really more of a set of vague ideas then a full out mission plan or anything. But you got to start somewhere I suppose. Still I want them to finish a manned mission to Mars before they get distracted by anything else.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#4 Re: NASA concept would send astronauts to Venus

Post by rhoenix »

frigidmagi wrote:This is really more of a set of vague ideas then a full out mission plan or anything. But you got to start somewhere I suppose. Still I want them to finish a manned mission to Mars before they get distracted by anything else.
Agreed, as Mars is by far the easier target. After all, Mars doesn't have a nice, thick toxic atmosphere that would require billions' worth of ingenuity to breach. That said, learning to tame Venus would make it easier to fix some of our problems here.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.