NASA: Being forced by the US Gov to fly Europa Mission

S&L: Discussion of matters pertaining to theoretical and applied sciences, and logical thought.

Moderator: Charon

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#1 NASA: Being forced by the US Gov to fly Europa Mission

Post by rhoenix »

extremetech.com wrote:In a rather intriguing twist, it appears that NASA is now mandated by law to fly a robotic mission to Jupiter’s watery moon Europa. Europa is an incredibly exciting science target, as it’s believed to have a 100-kilometer-thick (62 miles) outer layer of water, with water ice on top (it’s very cold out there) and a liquid water ocean beneath that. It’s believed that there’s more water on Europa than the entirety of Earth, despite being just a quarter the width of Earth. As we continue to learn more about the tenacious lifeforms found in deep, cold waters here on Earth, excitement grows over the possibility of Europa’s oceans harboring extraterrestrial life.

Up until the ’70s, the prevailing theory was that all life on Earth was dependent on energy from the Sun (i.e. everything ultimately revolves around photosynthesizing plants). Then, in 1977, an exploratory dive in the Galapagos Rift discovered giant tube worms, clams, and other crustaceans that survived without any access to the Sun. As it turned out, they were feeding on bacteria that got their energy from hydrogen and hydrogen sulfide emanating from underwater volcanic vents. There was a whole food chain down there that didn’t rely on the Sun at all. Cue much excited theorizing about the possibility of finding life in Europa’s massive oceans.

By the time the Voyager probes had flown through the Jovian system in 1979, scientists were fairly sure that Europa had an icy crust, and possibly a liquid ocean beneath. Further investigation by Galileo and New Horizons have provided yet more data (and some lovely images, such as the one at the top of the story, captured by Galileo). Now, we’re almost certain that there’s liquid water on Europa — and so the next stage is sending some kind of robotic probe or rover out there, to do some real, up-close-and-personal science.

And this is the weird bit: It seems, thanks to Houston Congressman John Culberson, who appears to be a bit of a science nerd, that NASA is now mandated by law to develop a mission to Europa. Culberson is basically forcing this mission upon NASA: In 2013 and 2014, despite NASA not requesting any money for a Europa mission, Culberson gave it $43 million and $80 million respectively. In the 2014 budget bill, finalized in December, there’s not a single mention of Mars or the Moon, but Europa’s right there on page 159. Culberson is expected to become the next chairman of the House Appropriations subcommittee, too — and if that happens, NASA may find itself very flush indeed. This is rather refreshing, after years of budget cuts/stagnation!

In an interview with the Houston Chronicle, Culberson had these rather uplifting words to say about Europa in specific and space exploration in general:
If I’m successful in becoming chairman of the subcommittee that’s going to be right when the Europa mission will need its maximum funding. It needs to be a flagship mission. The biggest and best we’ve ever flown … I got on this incredible committee where I will be in exactly the right place at the right time to be able to help turn NASA around, to not only preserve America’s leadership role in space, but I also hope to be a key part in discovering life on another world for the first time. We’re only going to have one chance at this in our lifetimes. We’ve got one shot. I want to make sure you and I are here to see those first tube worms and lobsters on Europa.
As for an actual timeline for those first tube worms, if they exist, it’s still very, very early days. It seems, after two years of having money forced upon it, NASA finally caved and actually asked for $15 million in 2015 to help plan the Europa mission. All we really have to go on right now are the words of NASA’s CFO, Elizabeth Robinson, who said the launch could come as soon as the mid-2020s — probably after we launch the next Mars rover in 2020.

We are living in interesting times! Who knows, maybe it won’t be the next generation of space telescopes that discovers the first instance of extraterrestrial life — maybe it’ll be a NASA rover, right here in our own Solar System.
Huh. I didn't expect to see this - I'd call it tentative good news, at least.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#2 Re: NASA: Being forced by the US Gov to fly Europa Mission

Post by frigidmagi »

I will throw a fit if Congress gives them a hard time about it. 15 million is fucking peanuts.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#3 Re: NASA: Being forced by the US Gov to fly Europa Mission

Post by Josh »

Fifteen mil is just the mission planning. This would be a huge undertaking, on the scale of billions and billions.

Mind you, I'm wholeheartedly in favor. I don't even care if we find anything on Europa*, the knowledge we gain from the project development and the spin-off techs will be worth it. And in terms of bang for the buck in the civilian world, space projects offer great ROI for job creation.

*But I do really hope we find cool-ass worms and starfish and shit.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

#4 Re: NASA: Being forced by the US Gov to fly Europa Mission

Post by Batman »

Didn't we already land a ship on Europa in 2010 and positively detect life there?...Oh wait, that was a SciFi novel. Nevermind*.
And we're not going to, at least not with that mission. At best, we're going to find out that yep, Europa undeniably has a water ice surface and maybe that it has liquid water oceans beneath it so there may be life in them. The actual detection of life on Europa I very much suspect to be a lot harder than just managing to get a probe there unless someone brought me or Lexcorp in while I wasn't looking.

*And is there anywhere I can sue for emotional damage from SciFi giving me hopelessly optimistic versions of what the near future Space Age would look like?
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Josh

#5 Re: NASA: Being forced by the US Gov to fly Europa Mission

Post by Josh »

Well we're very close to the flexible touchscreens they had in 2001. Just gotta be patient, Bats. We're running behind Clarke's curve a bit is all.

At least you have a flying car, unlike us plebs.
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

#6 Re: NASA: Being forced by the US Gov to fly Europa Mission

Post by Batman »

For the umpteenth time, Terry has the flying car.

And NASA being required by law to do a mission is, I think, a new one.
I really wish this being mandated by law allows NASA to say 'Um-because you didn't give us nowhere near enough funds to actually do it
fuckheads' when they're asked why they didn't, but I doubt it.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Josh

#7 Re: NASA: Being forced by the US Gov to fly Europa Mission

Post by Josh »

I wonder if they'll do what they usually do and deliberately under-project the budget. That's the regular NASA gag.

Just saw the numbers and it's currently projecting for 4.9 bil.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#8 Re: NASA: Being forced by the US Gov to fly Europa Mission

Post by frigidmagi »

Over how many years?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Josh

#9 Re: NASA: Being forced by the US Gov to fly Europa Mission

Post by Josh »

It was for a 2025 mission arrival, so it would've worked out to 400 mil a year, but cancel that because they just announced a cost cap of 1 bil.

http://www.examiner.com/article/planeta ... pa-mission

NASA has announced that the proposed Europa mission, officially included in the space agency’s FY2015 budget request, will be capped at a cost of $1 billion. This makes the mission far cheaper almost any other mission to the Outer Planets and loss costly than the Europa Clipper, which would cost $2.1 billion, or the original Europa Orbiter, which would cost $4.7 billion. This announcement brought a sharp response in a March 5, 2014 post at the Planetary Society blog.

“Why is a billion dollars for a mission ‘cheap’? Mainly because Europa is a particularly difficult destination to explore. The moon orbits within Jupiter's extreme radiation field, which degrades and disrupts electrical equipment on spacecraft. To mitigate the radiation, spacecraft need to carry heavy shielding. This extra shielding adds weight; and weight adds cost. So does a long cruise out to Jupiter, which usually takes around six years, unless this mission launches on the SLS, which can reduce that to less than three. Plutonium, which the spacecraft would likely require for electrical power, also costs a decent amount of money to procure and launch due to the numerous safety reviews and permits. So we're already facing a decent amount of cost just to keep a spacecraft functioning in the Jovian environment. Only one mission has ever been sent to Jupiter with this price tag, Juno, which orbits Jupiter's poles and therefore avoids most of the nasty radiation. A Europa mission won't have that luxury.

“So where does this leave the science? I would be heartbroken to waste a to waste a once-in-a-generation opportunity to explore Europa by skimping on the science. There is so much to learn about this moon and its potential for habitability, that I feel it deserves a big investment if we want to see big returns.”

Without knowing what NASA’s thinking is for a “cheap” mission to Europa, it is difficult to know whether the cost cap will compromise the science or not. It is possible that ongoing advances in materials science will allow a degree of radiation protection that hitherto has not been possible except with heavy materials. It is also unknown whether the $1 billion includes launch costs. Launching a Europa mission on a heavy lift Space Launch System will certainly cut down trip times, as it removes the necessity for multiple gravity assist maneuvers.

On the other hand the $1 billion cap may be a bureaucratic ploy by the space agency to deal with a mission that it did not propose, but rather was mandated by Congress. The idea is that if experts find that it is impossible to do a meaningful mission to Europa for the cost imposed, the idea will be quietly dropped.
Fucking fuck fuck, it does sound like a NASA move to play a budget number game to manipulate project priority. Just normally in the other direction.