Non, nein, no: Europe turns negative on the euro

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Non, nein, no: Europe turns negative on the euro

Post by frigidmagi »

Timesonline

[quote]A FRENCH diplomat who spent the festive period at his weekend home in rural France was astonished last week when a man in a DIY shop presented him with a bill in francs, rather than in euros, with the excuse: “I am sorry, monsieur, most of my clients prefer it that way.â€
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
elderdan
Acolyte

Post by elderdan »

I was in Europe less than six weeks before the 2002 switchover, and again about a year later. In 2001, when I was in Italy, it was 2200 lira to the US dollar and the Euro was very close to the buck. So you'd think they'd more or less divide all the prices by 2000, right? One later I come back, the Euro and dollar are still pretty close, but all the prices in Italy were divided by approximately *1000*, across the board, everything from train tickets to the hotels I used to my favorite restaurants right down to frickin' cappucino. I asked the owner of one of the restaurants what had happened with the prices and he basically said, he had no idea but all his suppliers had basically doubled their prices when the switchover happened, so he doubled his prices on the menu, but salaries didn't seem to have caught up so now nobody could afford to eat out.

--The Elder Dan
Dan Curtis Johnson | com . mac . crisper | Moreover, I advise that Carthage be destroyed.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Honestly Dan that sounds like a bunch of assholes trying to take advantage of the situation to grab some extra cash from people. I mean the suppliers of course.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken