Iowa voters oust justices who made same-sex marriage legal

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

#1 Iowa voters oust justices who made same-sex marriage legal

Post by The Minx »

Link
(CNN) -- Voters in Iowa chose to remove three high court justices who helped make Iowa the first Midwestern state to permit same-sex marriage.

The vote marks the first time a member of the Iowa Supreme Court has been rejected by the voters under the current system that began in 1962.

Under the voting system in Iowa, each of the three justices up for retention -- Chief Justice Marsha Ternus, David Baker and Michael Streit -- needed simply to get more "yes" votes than "no" votes in the election to be elected for another eight-year term. They faced no opponents. None of the judges raised money for the campaign.

While all seven justices on the court ruled with Ternus, Baker and Streit, those three were the only ones whose seats were up for retention. None of them received the 50 percent "yes" vote needed to remain on the bench.

The outcome marks the end of a showdown in the state that was funded by several million dollars from mostly out-of-state groups opposed to the same-sex marriage ruling. The vote became very much a referendum on the issue and the ruling, rather than the judges themselves, analysts say.

The move was spearheaded primarily by Bob Vander Plaats, a Republican Sioux City attorney who lost the nomination for governor of the state and created the group Iowa For Freedom.

"Iowa law wisely allows for a check and balance of the Supreme Court through a retention vote by you, the citizens. In April of 2009, we all witnessed blatant judicial activism by the Iowa Supreme Court," the group's website said, referring to the decision by the court that Iowa's law restricting marriage to one man and one woman violated the state's constitution.

"The court legislated from the bench ... they governed from the bench ... and, they even attempted to amend our constitution from the bench as they declared Iowa a 'Same Sex' marriage state. This is not their role. The Legislature makes the law. The Governor executes the law. And, only 'we the people' can amend our constitution."

Although there wasn't much campaigning from the justices, some local officials began to throw support their way in an effort to help them keep their seats.

"If we allow political money to buy judicial retention elections, the quality of judiciary will be harmed and the perception of the judiciary will be diminished," the Iowa group Fair Courts For Us said on its website.

The group wrote on its site that a "special interest group" was "pouring money" into the race, when in the past three decades all of Iowa's judicial campaigns had "combined spending of $0."

So when Vander Plaats' group told voters it was "time to take a stand against the radical judicial activism of the Iowa Supreme Court," the Fair Courts for Us group did what it could to help.

And while the justices did not actively campaign to keep their seats, Ternus did give a speech last month that warned against the power of special interest groups -- like the groups that campaigned against the justices. "[They want] our judges to be servants of this group's ideology, rather than servants of the law." Ternus said, according to the Des Moines Register. "They simply refuse to accept that an impartial, legally sound and fair reading of the law can lead to an unpopular decision."

But Vander Plaats and his group said they were afraid that the legal precedent set for same-sex marriage could lead to the erosion of other freedoms -- and that was why voters needed to speak up.

"If the Iowa Supreme Court will do this to marriage, every one of our freedoms, including gun rights and private property, is in danger of being usurped by activist judges who are unelected officials," Vander Plaats' group says on its website.

On Election Day in Iowa, Des Moines Register columnist Rekha Basu went to the courthouse where the momentous decision came down.

"What I'd gone looking for was reassurance -- that, come today, the court could continue its business without worrying about voter backlashes; that justices who have done their jobs wouldn't lose them for upholding the constitution," Basu wrote.

She argued that the Iowa Supreme Court had a history of shattering walls and making precedents, and worried what it would mean for the future, and the past, if the current Iowa justices were rejected over a political issue.

"Our court was ahead of the nation's in upholding the right of women to practice law, and black people's right to public accommodations," she wrote. "What if all those justices had been turned out in revenge?"

The justices said little before and during the election. But after the results were announced, they jointly issued a statement.

"We wish to thank all of the Iowans who voted to retain us for another term. Your support shows that many Iowans value fair and impartial courts," they wrote. "We also want to acknowledge and thank all the Iowans, from across the political spectrum and from different walks of life, who worked tirelessly over the past few months to defend Iowa's high-caliber court system against an unprecedented attack by out-of-state special interest groups," the statement said.

"Finally, we hope Iowans will continue to support Iowa's merit selection system for appointing judges. This system helps ensure that judges base their decisions on the law and the Constitution and nothing else. Ultimately, however, the preservation of our state's fair and impartial courts will require more than the integrity and fortitude of individual judges, it will require the steadfast support of the people."

Iowa Supreme Court justices are appointed by the governor from a list of nominees chosen by a nominating commission, according to the court's website, and then face retention votes every eight years.
OK, this pisses me off. The House of Representatives is one thing, but politicizing the courts? :evil:

As the article states, the Iowa courts have a history of promoting justice for the people over the political will of the majority. Apparently the issue of gay marriage is "legislating from the bench", but things like the historic decision deciding whether Iowa should be a slave state is not. :roll:

EDIT: the link tags aren't behaving properly, sorry.
EDIT 2: fixed it
Last edited by The Minx on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Librium Arcana resident ⑨-ball
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

It's [url="http://www.whatever"]link[/url]

Not [code][/code]
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Well, now I feel silly. :oops:

Anyhow, fixed it.
Librium Arcana resident ⑨-ball
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

what really pisses me off about it is that it was mostly OUT OF STATE money/support that lead to this.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

You can do alot with unending piles of money. It shit like this that convinces me that some hard limits need to be put on campaign duration and spending. This was the most expensive midterm in history (3.5 billion with a b), I'm pretty sure I can think of at least 500 things that money would have been spent on (I could have gotten another 23 F-22s just to start with guys).
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

So in a state of rage I crunched some numbers.

In typical elections that don't have polluted Focus on the Family money thrown into it, up to 1/3 (but usually not that many) of the voters regularly voted no to retaining the judges. Always. All the judges. The same happened with most of the other judges on the ballots, but it was obvious that a few sections of the state got the last minute "Oh hell, just get rid of all of them, including the juvie court ones which have nothing to do with it" message because there were a few that got more than 40% oust votes.

For the supreme court justices, the votes were about 45% retain, 55% oust. Between 200,000-300,000 voters of the million-ish who cast ballots who would normally have voted the default retain were convinced to vote to oust. That's about 20-30% of the electorate who bothered with it in Iowa.

Now, an analysis:
1) It doesn't change the decision. It was just spite.

2) Those three will be replaced.
2a) The governor appoints justices but the ones he can appoint are picked via a committee system.
2b) New justices are up for a retention vote after two years. I hope some brave ones ready for martyrdom and another job hunt are picked because they will be threatened all the way.
2c) The entire legal apparatus of Iowa, for lack of a better term (everyone involved in legal stuff) was completely against the campaign to oust the judges and now they are not happy.

3) The decision could be changed by a constitutional amendment to Iowa's constitution.
3a) It's really hard to do that. It has to be voted for by two consecutive legislative sessions, then sent to a general vote.
3b) It wasn't voted on last year because the legislators who are good successfully tabled it. The earliest it could be on the ballots is 2012.

4) There was an option on the ballots to have a constitutional convention to amend/whatever the Iowa constitution, possibly to make it easier to ram through bullshit when there's a new bogieman to hate on. Only 1/3 of the voters picked Yes for that. There will be none. Still 2012 until the amendment could be on the ballots.

5) This is all the fault of the puppet-masters in their lairs in Colorado Springs, but what are they trying to do?
5a) They do hate gay people. That's definite. Maybe because they're self-hating but that's hypothesizing.
5b) If they really wanted gay marriage re-banned, why didn't they push for the constitutional convention? Speculations:
5b.1) They just want to keep whining about being oppressed, so they do things that have no actual effect on the results. I feel this is unlikely since they do push for things that do have actual effects elsewhere.
5b.2) They didn't do their homework, all oxygen-deprived as they are up there in the mountains a few states away. Slightly more possible than the previous, I think, but they have enough money that they should be able to hire people who would know better.
5b.3) They were distracted by bigger things and the overall midterm elections of the whole country. Nah. This is rather big in symbolism.
5b.4) This was a test case. They didn't want to muddy the results too much by trying to push too much on their dimwitted puppets. They had to see first if they could get the people to turn against the judiciary at their whims. Yes, yes they can. The second result will be ongoing: seeing if it puts a culture of fear in the judiciary system, not just of Iowa but all over the country. "We got those judges and YOU are next unless you do what we say." I lean towards this.

So now the question is, how do I counter multi-billion dollar religious corporations?
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.