Minecraft Review (image heavy towards the end)

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff
Hotfoot

#1 Minecraft Review (image heavy towards the end)

Post by Hotfoot »

Okay, so some of you have heard my mad ramblings on AIM. Some of you may even know of this from the Penny Arcade strips the other day. I will start off with a warning: DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME. For all that you hold dear do not play it. Use any excuse you like, you don't have ~$13, you don't like paypal, you don't want to spend money on what's basically an alpha, you don't like the graphics, it's okay.

You have been warned.

Okay, so on to the review. Minecraft is an indie game in development that started with pretty much one guy putting together a cool little game. The basic concept is this:

You are in a strange land, with no other people around. There are animals that graze peacefully, lush trees, tall mountains, wide open oceans, and every so often, a cave. You can interact with pretty much anything, the trees, the dirt and rocks, the animals, pretty much everything. If you go around collecting things, they will pile up in your inventory, which when you go to, you'll notice a crafting screen. There's no tutorial yet, but people have figured out most of the stuff you can make. So you can turn logs you've gathered into planks, and the planks into sticks, and so on. Eventually you can figure out how to get a workbench, which opens up even more crafting options, including the ability to make tools, which help in the gathering of resources, and of course, the more resources you have, the more you can build with them.

All goes well, you've spent the day gathering and building things, you've got a bunch of tools, some wood, maybe some rocks and dirt as well. You're just getting the hang of things when you notice that the game is getting darker. Oh, cool, a day/night cycle, right on, you might think, wondering idly if there's a way to make light in this game. After all, you do have wood.

And then you hear something. Footsteps, a groan, perhaps a clatter. The pigs and cows didn't sound like that, neither did the sheep or chickens. You hear again, but this time, it's louder. You look around, desperately trying to find the source of the sound when you see them. The dead, come back to life. Monsters from the darkest reaches of the land, and they come only wanting one thing.

Your flesh.

Suddenly, the things you have gathered and made are no longer simply interesting, they are necessary for your survival. You swing a shovel at a nearby zombie, wondering if you could have made a sword instead. You get some distance and start building up a wall with the dirt and stone you've collected, trying to gain some respite from the surrounding horde. You barricade yourself in your makeshift shelter, a single hole at the top so you can see when the light comes.

Finally, after hearing them outside all night long, day breaks. You dig yourself out to see the undead burning in the light of the sun. The spiders wander off, no longer interested in you as prey. You don't see any creepers, hoping they shared the same fate as the undead.

You gather more things, craft more tools, this time a sword to keep you safer against what comes at night. You dig deeper into the mountains, finding coal to make torches. You build a bigger, if still modest structure, so that this time when the monsters come, you'll be ready.

That's basically how your first few hours of the game go. After that, you start to expand. You build bigger, delve deeper. During the day, you might farm, or hunt the wildlife, or chop down trees for precious lumber, perhaps replanting some seedling so you don't have to travel too far for wood. At night, you delve into the caverns, mining iron, coal, gold, or whatever you can find. As you dig, you will find new cave systems, enemies, and possibly even great treasure.

Before long, the landscape is changed by your design. You can build any structure you can imagine, carving out halls of stone under the mountains, or a castle at the top of a hill, or perhaps a simple wooden lodge in the valley with a quiet garden in the back.

And that is the danger of this game. This unfinished not even out of alpha game with graphics from 1994 manages to be as addicting as hell. It even manages to scare the shit out of me sometimes.

Every game is different, every map made randomly. You never know what you'll find when you dig or explore. The game is unforgiving. You could die from falling, or digging under some sand or loose rocks, or flood the cavern with water or lava. You could unleash a horde of monsters that had been in another cave altogether.

Or you could get lost. In getting pictures for this review, I intended to get some shots of a cave system under my house that I had delved into, to give a proper sense for how it looks down there. Between heading down and coming back, I managed to get exactly zero screenshots and I spend at least an half hour totally and irrevocably LOST. On my next expedition, I'm bringing more signs.

People have likened this game to Dwarf Fortress. Having never played it, I couldn't say. What I can say is that this game sings to the part of me that loved just exploring in Morrowind. This game is nowhere near as pretty (but imagine if it was), has no plot (but has multiplayer), and no real point.

But I can't stop playing with it. It's like a giant world of lego bricks that I can play with endlessly, explore courageously, and potentially even team up with other people to do the same thing. Now, as a caveat, I've not actually spent a huge amount of time with the thing, but I've spent many hours in a row already and I keep going back. It's a simple little game that keeps demanding that I do something new. I look at videos of let's plays and tutorials on how to use red stone to make clever gadgets and how to get mine carts to do incredible things.

I'm going to stop talking about the game now and show you my little world, what I can of it, at least.

This is my house, a simple stone affair, set atop a hill not far from my spawn point (where you start the game and where you go when you die). It's built over a series of cave systems, one of which I can use as an emergency exit (or entrance, depending). To the right is my freshly constructed greenhouse, where I can grow and harvest crops without worry of interference from monsters or animals. I have some more landscaping to do around it, but it works for the moment.

This is my front door, with signs to welcome and warn guests. My door is solid iron and keeps out the local riff-raff.

This is the view from my roof, where I come sometimes to contemplate quietly under a starry sky, and laugh at the monsters who can't get me. The sun is setting, soon they will arrive.

This track leads to another large dig site I have established in the distance. The road goes through three mountains and currently has two stations. Work is progressing on advancing the project.

This is the naturally formed cave under my house that I broke into as I attempted to build a sub-basement.

Inside my house, this is my bedroom on the second floor. Spartan, but it has a wonderful view. It also has the added benefit of escaping either up to the roof (which has an emergency ladder for running away), or down to the main floor (and below).

This is the main floor, the first part of the house I built (though it's been through many renovations since the original structure, it contains everything I need, storage, furnaces for cooking and smelting, and a workbench to make everything I could need.

This is the basement, currently only for storage of bulk materials and overflow, there are plans to expand.

The sub-basement. You can see the emergency door to the left that leads out to the surface cave, to the right you can see a secondary crafting and smelting area for dealing with the direct results of the many dig sites I have sprawling under my home, and in the center is the pit to hell itself. I went down to get pictures for you all, and came back with nearly all my tools shattered, my body bloodied, my mind broken, and carrying sweet, precious iron in vast quantities.

My tools broken, I went to make more to discover I had no more wood in my reserves. So outside went I, to the veritable forest I had planted, and I climbed atop the greatest tree I could see so that I might let none of it go to waste. From here you can see the back of my house, my greenhouse, and my railroad, tunneling off to greatness. The sun, however, was setting, and the job would take the rest of the night.

Looking to the west towards the end of the night, I can see lights where I left torches to mark previous expeditions or dangers. Closer, and to the left, one of the undead stalks me, unable to reach me in the great tree I am felling.

With daylight comes the end of my task, and doom to the horrors of the night. The undead burst into flames, the spiders lose their will, but what of the creepers?

That is a tale for another time.

There you have it folks. Minecraft. My world is not all that spectacular compared to some that you will find on Youtube and the like, but it is thrilling to me at least. This game, for an Alpha, is amazing. It currently works on the model Mount and Blade used, which is that you pay a little bit now (about $13 US), and all future versions are free. The developer, Notch, is currently in talks with Valve, and has apparently made a boatload of cash just off the Alpha version.

I leave you with a video trailer made by a fan that some of you may have seen already. Trailer

Remember, you were warned.

Do not go to http://www.minecraft.net/

Do not get the game.

Above all, do not play.

As for me? It is too late for me. You all must carry on without me.

The caverns call...
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Damn you!

Your warnings! They did nothing!

Minecraft!

My soul!

Gah!!

*tries not to hit the executable again* *tries not to think about that rich deposit of iron, gold and coal he had found in his last binge of blast mining caverns*

Damn you, Hotfoot!

For the rest of you... heed his warnings... they are true, all true! Run, run while you can for this game will draw you in and then it's all over...
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

I'm sorry. What was that? I was too busy building my masterpiece.

I've gotten addicted to Minecraft. I will post images of what I have found and what I have built soon enough.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

So Hotfoot and I played multiplayer for several hours. During this time we encountered a few...interesting situations.

The 1st became known as B4's Folly. It went something like this:
Hotfoot: I want to explore and find a caving system.
B4: Huh, okay. *wanders off with pick axe*
Hotfoot: Where'd you go?
B4: Found some coal... oo iron...
Hotfoot: Cool
B4: Ahh!! SHIT SHIT SHIT! LAVA!!
Hotfoot: LOL!
B4: Found a cave!
Hotfoot: Cool, where?
B4: Just find me...

Hotfoot goes searching for the entrance to B4's cave while trying to figure out how B4 is now apparently 300 meters underground.

B4: So, found a cave... it's past the fucking lava that I had to swim through to get in here...so I have no fucking clue how to get out...
Hotfoot: Alright, mounting a rescue operation. I'm going to go make some ladders...

Several minutes pass...
B4: Found iron, coal, gold and redstone... you find me yet?
Hotfoot: When you get yourself fucked you don't go halfway do you? Jesus christ how far down are you?!
B4: All the way... Ooo look new cave system...

30 minutes or so later we manage to meet back up....he never even made it halfway down B4's Folly before we managed to bridge my initial drop site and my found cave system... the hole went down for another 50-100 meters or so...

2 hours later
B4: Found another cave system! Ooo lava and water.
Hotfoot: Weren't we just there?
B4: Nope, different cave system...
Hotfoot: Huh... wait, how did you... you dug another hole again didn't you?
B4: Yeah...
Hotfoot: I'll go make the ladders...
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Warning. Pictures. Lots of pictures.

Alright. Here we go.

Behold! The Monolith! This structure was naturally occurring and literally reaches so high that you cannot build anything on top of it. It also had a naturally occurring waterfall and a lavafall. As soon as I saw it I claimed it as my fortress. See that little white thing in the middle of it? That's a cloud.

A bit of a closer look, note the Atrium above my main entryway. Also note how freaking tall this thing is.

Like I said, tall. Also, I have officially named it the Monolith. If it is within the viewable portion of the world. You can see it.

The Waterfall Room. While I was digging out around the structure so I could travel with beautiful sights, I came across this section of space that I decided to make into another room. I can also use the waterfall for quick travel up and down.

The Atrium. The completely glass walled room that I built to house my plants in a secure location atop the monolith, before it was completed.

Now completed, the Atrium produces a harvest of grain which I can use to make bread to heal me in my daily war against the Zombies, Creepers, Spiders, and Skeletons.

The Underground Lake that sits below my monolith. I discovered this while I was exploring above and finally managed to get down there with a boat and light the whole thing up. The lake is enormous!

Enormous and it has an indoor Lavafall for heating. Don't go swimming though...

Because just as the Monolith above goes to the top of the world, the Underground Lake below goes to the bottom of the world. I could not survive a trip to the bottom of the lake by jumping in, so I eventually dug a mine on the central column that I was sitting on to take these pictures and sneak out that way. The lake ends at the bedrock. The Underground Lake runs similar dimensions to the Monolith above, so this structure literally goes from the top of the world to the bottom of the world.

Another work of mine, the Buttress. This small outpost from the Monolith allows me to get to my mine while never having to step a foot outside and risk attack.

A Lavafall I added later, this lavafall falls in a nice neat niche along the wall and also happens to pass right next to one of my pathways. It's really cool and it falls from the top of the Monolith.

But enough of that. On our way up we have a slight detour to look outside. Here we can see that although we are not all the way up, we are at cloud level. When working this high I have had to occasionally call off work because I could not see due to cloud cover.

The Top of the World. It doesn't look like much from this angle, but it gives you a sense of how big this structure really is.

Nothing is better than watching the Sunrise, and nothing is better than getting to watch the Sunrise from the top of the world. Fun fact, from here I can simultaneously watch the sun rise and the moon set.

But all in all the view is fantastic. You can see forever, or at least as far as the world will render.

Now we come to my two biggest and most time consuming, and most expensive projects that I have done thus far. The first is the Grand Cathedral. Here we can see the double doors that serve as the entrance.

This chamber took several hours to dig out, and a lot of pickaxes. I cooked several hundred cobblestones to turn them into stone as well so the entire surface of the structure is still in stone, rather than cobblestone.

A slightly better picture of all the pillars, as well as a peak at the Alter to the Grand Cathedral.

The Alter as it was first conceived. After my initial work, the project came to a temporary close as I collected more rare and valuable items to use to really show that the Grand Cathedral is worthy of the title, not just in size, but in value.

Which led to this. The Cobblestone pillars have been replaced with obsidian. It took a lot of time, a lot of effort, and a diamond pickaxe to get all of that obsidian. But I think it was worth it.

The Alter also underwent a massive reconstruction effort. The outer blocks being replaced with solid steel, the inner blocks with solid gold. Also, two record players have been added, which will one day fill the halls of the Cathedral with music.

Finally, we have the Causeway. The Monolith was found quite a distance away from my respawn point, and over water. So eventually I grew tired of making this long trek every time I died and decided something must be done about this situation. Thus a massive undertaking was put underway. Here we see the end of the project, close to my respawn point. Also, say hello to Mr. Creeper.

Turning the corner, we see the Causeway going off into the distance. The tracks and torches run the entirety of the Causeway.

Even more Causeway, to give you a full scope of the immensity of this things length.

Finally, the end of the Causeway, fairly close to my Buttress. All in all, the Causeway is three blocks wide across the entire length and is approximately 475 blocks long. It uses approximately 500 units of track, as the track goes a little further than the causeway itself does.
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

I should have listened to the warnings!

Unlike most people apparently, I haven't gotten into any mega-structure building. The closest thing to that I have is one very deep-shaft mine that hit the bedrock and my current project to strip-mine one island that's basically hollow (not that hard - just take off the top dirt layer and there's a hole). I spawned near the sea so I'd been exploring around, building bridges from small island to small island and putting up tree light towers (three blocks of gravel, then one block of dirt on top that I plant a sapling on, and torches on all four sides at the top gravel block; put up enough of them on an island and monsters almost entirely stop spawning, making for safe night travel, and also I think it looks amusing), and occasionally when I need a base I build a small lighthouse (7x7, two storeys, and yes a tree light tower on top) in a defensible location like a steep island hill or a spit of sand in the water. I should take some screenshots.

Also, playing Minecraft right before bed has been giving me weird and not-at-all-good dreams. The night before, skinheads were trying to kill me. Also the pope, but I was more worried about my own hide. Last night, well, I wrote that one up.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Yeah..I been playing it a lot myself..splitting time between my single player game...and the LibArc MP server.....

I'm rather annoyed with the current world I'm playing in for SP....but that's mostly because all the damn monsters that keep spawning nearby, and the lack of any good Iron....

Guess I'll have to keep using Rock tools...
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Stone tools are the best for general use, Iron should be saved for Diamonds. and diamond should be saved for Obsidian. Iron's best use is for making other items of utility, like tracks and minecarts.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Motherfucking FUCK.

Fell in a lava hole that I hadn't covered and died. Just lost 20 pieces of obsidian, a stack and a half of coal, and my compass. Those are replaceable though. The big freaking thing that pissed me off is that I just lost the 4 diamonds I had just found and my diamond pickaxe!

RRRRRAAAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEE.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

So today in our SMP server......I built what I have affectionately dubbed the "Doomhole".

Basically, I found a nice, isolated hole in the middle of no where, far far away from the buildings we were constructing, and blasted a hole in a mountain. The explosion was nice, and I found this was good, so I laid out a goodly amount more TNT while on the phone with B4....

Who proceeded to tell me "don't left click, or you'll blow the whole thing up like I did when hollowing out for my new castle site". I accidently left clicked a newly laid bundle of TNT....and all approx 600 bundles went up in a giant kaboom.

Which made a impressive hole in the mountain...I mean it went deep. Not to the bedrock, but enough that it was a large fall, and the crater was suitably impressive in size, that it gave me a new challenge.

To fill this new hole to the brim with TNT, and detonate it to create the site for my grande castle.

Queue me spending most of today spawning and planting TNT, finding a natural cavern, and filling THAT with TNT, building markers leading from Spawn to the site of the 'Doomhole', and making sure that most of the hole was, at least, filled with TNT......

Well, I covered most of the walls, filled up at least halfway (which was about 20 layers of TNT) throughout the entire crater, and almost to the very top on a third of it (which was near the ocean).

B4 comes up, brings me to a hole he just blasted, and then mentions how he thinks we should go and blow up the Doomhole.

...we so trot over to the location, he looks over and says "That's a lot of TNT..."

Charon then says "I'm going to be way the hell over here, where I won't lag so much when all that TNT explodes."

At this point, I should point out that I spent hours upon HOURS spawning 1024 units of TNT, then laying them out in the crater. I should have taken Screenshots, because really, it was a impressive feat of explosive engineering.

So I go to my waiting Fuse Line (a TNT Doomspire which connected to a fuse of TNT blocks which lead deep deep deep into the crater to the waiting TNT blocks....) and build a second spire up so I can ignite the fuse well up, and have time to get to a place to watch the insuing madness.

We didn't get that....as almost as soon as the blocks started exploding, the ground beneath us disappeared, the ocean started to come in around us, then the world IMPLODED.

....At best I was looking at creating a explosion large enough to make Nagasaki and Hiroshima look over and say "Fuck...you done got blown up son". But no....apparently I laid out enough TNT that I Base Delta Zero'd the entire fucking Survival Multiplayer server and left the world a unrenderable thing.

Luckily, B4 had a server save from yesterday, before I built the Doomhole....

Once we started surveying the losses we suffered due to the detonations of the Doomhole, there was a conversation something like this:
DS: well, on the bright side, we now know how much TNT going off at once is to much

B4: No...we don't. We only know that you laid out and set off to much TNT. We have no clue which block was the last straw....

Charon: I can't stab in the face hard enough DS...

There is now apparently a new rule in the SMP server: DS is not allowed to create Doomsday level weaponry on the server anymore, nor can he spawn TNT in sufficient quantities as to enable the construction of said devices.

Ahh...good times...
Last edited by Dark Silver on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Maya, there is a LibArc multiplayer server a bunch of us are running on. Msg one of us and we'll give you the IP for it. You can come see my version of Charon's Monolith. It's what I refer to as The Citadel. It's a floating stone fortress that's completely self-sustaining for the long term. There is currently work in progress on a second Citadel site which will be even bigger, stretching from the bedrock up to the map limits.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Well, good news is, I got iron doors to work in SMP.

Downside, the redstone torch has to be the ONLY light source affecting the door.

Meh.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

So my idea did work in part. Huh. Alright, we can try to work with it from there. I'll set up some experiments tonight and see if i can figure out another workaround.
White Haven
Disciple

Post by White Haven »

I've sort of gotten bored of Minecraft as of late. I know, right? Heresy! and so forth. With any luck, the Halloween update will bring with it working, reliable server-side health in SMP.
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

I think Penny Arcade said it best when they likened it not to crack itself, but to all the ingredients and equipment necessary to make your own crack.

Here's a map render of one of my worlds. To make this a reasonable size for posting I cropped currently uninhabited areas out. I didn't want to be posting any really large images in a thread other than my own :).

You can see my main castle, bridge with gatehouse on either end, lighthouse, lava spire base with under-water entrance, man-made waterfall, and you can barely make out the entrance to my surface to bedrock column mine. The really long bridge running off to the upper left side is an unfinished skybridge leading from my spawn point to my castle. If anyone cares, here's the link to the full size image http://bit.ly/cXz4Qa

Image[/img]
Last edited by GoingIncognito on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

what I desire to know is...how'd you manage to get that render...
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

various programs can do it. For one like what he's got, I think MCMap will work. Speaking of, I need to do one of the libarc server so we can all see a map of our projects
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

B4UTRUST wrote:various programs can do it. For one like what he's got, I think MCMap will work. Speaking of, I need to do one of the libarc server so we can all see a map of our projects
Correct, MCMap did it! I really like MCMap, personally. FYI, MCMap is command line only for the Mac, but I can give you a batch file that will generate the maps for you without having to worry about remembering commands. The Windows version of MCMap is GUI and easy to use. Alternatively, you can use the excellent MCMap wrapper called MCMap-Live (Mac only, provides GUI). It's quite awesome, as well. There are other programs like Cartographer and Isocraft, etc, but MCMap is lightweight, fast, user friendly, and tends to actually work (Cartographer never worked for me).

I also use a custom colors file for my renders, so if you render your colors will look different than mine, but it's purely aesthetics. If you don't already use some, try a texture pack. Right now I'm using the Painterly Pack, but there are tons out there. I got tired of the basic textures and wanted to jazz it up a bit. Plus, my chickens now look like Duck Hunt ducks :grin:

I'd be interested to see a render of your server. It's always interesting to see other people's creations, and SMP can get some huge stuff going on.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Yes, but most of us don't use Mac. *goes to wash hands after typing the word :wink: * Anyhow, welcome to the server, glad you're staying with us..
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

B4UTRUST wrote:Yes, but most of us don't use Mac. *goes to wash hands after typing the word :wink: * Anyhow, welcome to the server, glad you're staying with us..
Haha! If it makes you feel any better, I use a PC at work, too. C'mon, try it...You might like it. Be one of us...one of us, one of us, one of us...

MCMap works on the PC, too, don't forget. Actually, MCMap-Live really extends the functionality of MCMap, too bad Live is Mac only.

Glad to be here, seems like a nice place. Even if Mac users are in the minority :razz:
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

not so much the minority, as the easily derided red-headed stepchildren
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

No, no thank you to the Mac or any apple product. I refuse to own an iPhone or iPod or any iFad product.
White Haven
Disciple

Post by White Haven »

I still haven't forgiven Apple for MacOS 9 or the contemporary iBooks of the day. *shudders*
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'
GoingIncognito
Acolyte

Post by GoingIncognito »

ROFL! Watch I'm going to show up in SMP with a red-headed stepchild skin now :).

iPods are a really good product :P. I carry mine around all the time and use it frequently. Even my son can use it (he'll be 4 in the spring). I concur with White Haven, though, OS 9 wasn't nearly as good as OS X is.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

So I went ahead and installed a new texture pack for Minecraft tonight, after B4 tested out some new server stuff. I used the Painterly Minecraft Skin pack, and I got to say....wow. The world looks 100% better.

So here's some screenshots:

From the hill behind the Spawn

Approaching Hotfoot's House

Hotfoot's front door

The Fireplace in Hotfoot's House

Hotfoot's Attic

To see the world like I see it (exactly like that), download this ZIP file, and install it.

For those wondering how to install a texture file for Minecraft under Windows 7 or Vista, here's how you do it:

1) Open you're Start Menu
2) In the run box, type in %appdata%
3) open the .minecraft folder
4) open the bin folder
5) right click on the minecraft.jar file, select to open it with Winrar or Zip or whatever your compression software is
6) goto where you downloaded the Texture Package, and open it.
7) open the Skins folder in the Texture Pack
8) copy everything within the Skins folder, into the Minecraft.jar file you JUST opened in the other window.
8) close all windows, restart Minecraft
9) enjoy