WOW to reach the big screen

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

#1 WOW to reach the big screen

Post by Ace Pace »

The Flying FUCK?!
E3 06: World of Warcraft headed for Hollywood
New York Times reports that Blizzard plans to announce its PC MMORPG's jump to the big screen on Tuesday.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted May 9, 2006 12:43 am PT
World of Warcraft has been rumored to be jumping platforms to the Xbox 360 for some time, but if The New York Times is correct, the next jump it makes will instead be to the world of film.

The Times is reporting that Blizzard will announce Tuesday that its massively successful, massively multiplayer online role-playing game is set to be made into a big-budget fantasy picture along the lines of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings films, with Warner Bros.' Legendary Pictures handling the production.

Director, cast, release date, and budget are all undetermined as of yet, but the paper quotes Blizzard CEO Paul Sams as saying that the goal is to make "one of the best films in the world," a World of Warcraft pic that will appeal to gamers and non-gamers alike. He said Legendary Pictures management was keenly attuned to what Blizzard wanted out of a World of Warcraft film. Legendary's first film was Batman Begins. Other projects being brought to the big screen by Legendary Pictures include Superman Returns, The Ant Bully, Where the Wild Things Are, and Frank Miller's 300.
What the FUCK are they thinking?
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

In a word; "Money!!!"

Personally, I'd say that if the Batman Begins film is any indication of how good it'll be, I'm all for watching it. There's enough storyline and world in there to make a decent film plot, or even a novel (which would be better, I think, but you never know what the future might bring...).
Last edited by Narsil on Tue May 09, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#3 Re: WOW to reach the big screen

Post by Cynical Cat »

Ace Pace wrote:

Lord of the Rings grade cash is what they are thinking.
Last edited by Cynical Cat on Tue May 09, 2006 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Audio Version
In a world of adventure...
Two great alliances vie for control...
Six strangers must band together to fight for what they believe in...
This summer, prepare yourself for a whole new world of excitement in...
WORLD OF WARCRAFT: The Curse of the Goldfarmer
Last edited by Hotfoot on Tue May 09, 2006 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

WORLD OF WARCRAFT: The Curse of the Goldfarmer
Someone just has to write that as a fic of some sort. I nominate Leeroy Jenkins as main character! :razz:
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#6 Re: WOW to reach the big screen

Post by Josh »

Cynical Cat wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:

And D&D movie revenue is likely what they'll be getting.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

You just had to remind me of that movie didn't you.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

#8 Re: WOW to reach the big screen

Post by Stofsk »

Petrosjko wrote:
Cynical Cat wrote:
Ace Pace wrote: What the FUCK are they thinking?
And D&D movie revenue is likely what they'll be getting.
I'm not so sure. WoW has an enormous appeal and has how many customers? D&D also has wide appeal but also a lot of detractors.

Not to mention: the D&D film was shit for a variety of reasons that had to do with the production and artistic direction of the film. Plus, for some godawful reason, they chose to make a rogue the hero of the hour. Look at something like Conan the Barbarian - Big Arnie in the lead role. Compare that to the D&D Movie - the kid who played Jimmy Olsen in that crap Superman TV show, Lois&Clark. One of the bad guys wore lipstick. Yes, they had Jeremy Irons... and they used him abysmally.

Depending on the format they choose to go with, WoW the Movie might be alright. I would expect them to go down the route of animation, because everything about Warcraft screams "Cartoon".
Drox
Acolyte

#9 Re: WOW to reach the big screen

Post by Drox »

Stofsk wrote:Depending on the format they choose to go with, WoW the Movie might be alright. I would expect them to go down the route of animation, because everything about Warcraft screams "Cartoon".
Perhaps CG, ala The Spirits Within? A sort of realistic fake. Let's all keep in mind...

Super Mario Brothers
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

When I think about it... and I try not to really hard... D&D the movie is alot like bad self insertion fan fiction, with none of the strengths.

A WoW movie could very easily go that route, unless the writers of the Warcraft games took over. Seriously these guys were like frusrated novel writers or something, the maneuls that came with Warcraft II and III were fucking beautful in terms of depth and backstory. I almost wept comparing them to some of the other games...

Basically I got faith in those guys, if they're the ones in charge.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

The Warcraft manuals (hell, even the World of Warcraft manual!) is beautiful in terms of length, depth of story, and letting you know what the hell is going on.

If those guys are indeed the ones who write the screenplay, I can have faith in this movie working, but otherwise...

another bad Game movie
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

And here I sit still demanding my Dragonlance movie! :evil: When the hell do I get my Raistlin?!
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

When Dragonlance becomes popular... Or when God is sighted doing Latin dance on the pyramids.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

B4UTRUST wrote:And here I sit still demanding my Dragonlance movie! :evil: When the hell do I get my Raistlin?!
I'd settle for the reality bending older version of James Bond known as Elminster. It's still a decent story (if not as decent), and I'd pay to watch Forgotten Realms done well. But, to pander to the masses, they'll probably go right ahead and use the later Drizzt Novels due to their 'action value' if they ever do a Forgotten Realms movie.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Fuck that! Dragonlance = win. And it's obviously popular enough to spawn about a hundred plus freaking novels.

And while forgotten realms wouldn't be bad, I'm a diehard DL fanboy...
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

To be honest, DragonLance would be a good story to convert. The problem would be the same as LotR, tho... Too many characters, too much happening.

On the plus side, we have Raistlin/Caramon's story. Twins driven apart by the weaker one's desire for power

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

#17 Re: WOW to reach the big screen

Post by Stofsk »

Drox wrote:Perhaps CG, ala The Spirits Within? A sort of realistic fake.
It's not so much that, but the style of Warcraft. If you play the games everything has a 'cartoon' feel to it. Compare it to other RTS or even MMORPG examples, and you see a particular type of style in Warcraft that few others have.

Compare Warcraft 2 to say... Command & Conquer.

Compare Starcraft to... Total Annihlation.

Compare WC3 to... Age of Empires, Age of Mythology even (Fantasy RTS that still has a kind of 'realistic' feel to it, compared to WC)

And WoW to Guild Wars. Actually that's not a good comparison, because while Warcraft reminds me of a cartoon, Guild Wars reminds me of anime.
Let's all keep in mind...

Super Mario Brothers
You die now. :razz: :wink:
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

I thought the CG in W3 was very well done, not cartoonish really. Especially Arthus's video at the end of the human campaign where "ascends" the throne.
Drox
Acolyte

#19 Re: WOW to reach the big screen

Post by Drox »

Stofsk wrote: It's not so much that, but the style of Warcraft. If you play the games everything has a 'cartoon' feel to it. Compare it to other RTS or even MMORPG examples, and you see a particular type of style in Warcraft that few others have.
Sure, WoW is very "toonish" compared to other MMOs, but I'm thinking that Hollywood would never try to make the big money by making a cartoon (American animation) of a video game. Seems like the sort of thing that they'd poo poo in a focus group.

Remember that in American social hivemind, Cartoons = Young Children. They'd probably want the 18-30 bracket (or whatever) that does the playing of Warcraft. So they wouldn't consider a cartoon feature.

Wow. That's too much thinking and explanation for something this silly. :mrgreen: